So im watching the lawrence welk show ...

spiral

You know the scenario: At the grandparents (or in a community with a high ratio of retirees) and lawrence welk is on. What are those silver slender mics with the larger ball end and flat top? All of the singers and orchestra have them and things sound great, but are they just props (mics not the performers)? They look a tad like the EV RE16 or a bit more like an EV 635a. Thanks in advance.

What a good question! We may laugh today, but when I was a kid (in the late fifties and early sixties), my trumpet teacher and other studio musicians from the generation before us were constantly in envy of the Welk band members, who had to put up with LW's strict rules, bad temper and lack of humor, but got paid very well for it. It was *the* gig to have. Man, those guys actually owned their own homes! (My trumpet teacher was glad to be part of the Disneyland band as a part-time gig.)

Behind the haircuts, pastel suits and cheesy routines were some of the best musicians around. When I visit my folks and have to sit through it, I watch for "script smiles" (places where they're trying not to crack up at the corniness of it all). As camp, the show is still astonishing. Of course, it was never anything but sincere to Welk. Welk did a lot for music and musicians in his day.

I hope one of our knowledgable old-timers on this forum can answer your question about the mics they used. Also, I'd love to know what the rest of their recording equipment was like, what console they used, what medium they were recording to. Even though the music is dated and "light," you can still catch glimpses from time to time of how good his musicians were. Almost any one of them could have been in a major symphony orchestra or great jazz band.

Mark H.

God, the things I do for this group. I actually watched the damn Lawrence Welk show. :(

The orchestra all used EV RE-15s and RE-16s, while the singers' mics seemed to be a variation of the EV 635. Don't know the model number.

Harvey Gerst said:
God, the things I do for this group. I actually watched the damn Lawrence Welk show. :(
Oh come on! We know you loved it. I actually like watching the show when i get the chance (dont have a TV). My friend got me into alot of overblown vocal/pop stuff like lee hazelwood and scott walker recently. Thanks for takin' one for the team. :)

The orchestra all used EV RE-15s and RE-16s, while the singers' mics seemed to be a variation of the EV 635. Don't know the model number.
Cool! I guessed pretty good. :) Thanks for the info!

Mark H. - You bring up a good point: what other gear did they use? Anyone know who did sound for that show? I would love to write an article about them. Also, if anyone knows how to contact lee hazlewood that would be helpful. Thanks for all the extra info and subjecting yourselves to LW.

Had to always admire that band and show, but never could get used to those piano players that had to flip their head and grin at the camera every three measures.
Don't even try to watch it with the sound off.
:D
Wayne

In many areas, the Lawrence Welk re-runs are broadcast every Sunday evening on PBS.

For younger folks who still use recreational drugs, I strongly suggest *not* doing major psychedelics before watching the show. It might take you months to recover.

Harvey Gerst, you are a saint! Thank you for the mic information.

Philboyd, my 81 year old parents still talk about Bobby and Sissy as though they were intimately involved in their lives -- in fact, they talk about everyone on the show that way.

Many thanks,

Mark H.

Back