snare mic upgrade

Falopo

hi, ive been using an sm-57 for snare, and im starting to want something better. I use sample snare on most snare tracks via drumagog, but i also want to be able to get a real good natural snare sound.

the sm 57 doesnt seem to be bright enough and clear enough. andy suggestions?

I used to use a Sennheiser MD421, but I really enjoy the M201.

Matter-of-fact, I did a "shoot-out" a few weeks ago between an SM57, M201, MD421, e609, and a Rode NT2, and my favorite was the M201. If you guys like, I'll post the clips.

But yeah, the M201, you can't go wrong.

- Jarick

www.ignitionrocks.com

The M201 is one of the best snare mics, but a Sennheiser MD441 is great as well (and big). The secret lies in the hyper and super (441) cardioid pattern in combination with a very nice off axis response.

The MD421 is nice on snare too, but not very rejective, so don't use the 421 one a hat basher.

Another great snare mic seems to be the Sennheiser MD431, George Massenburg was using this mic sometimes as I remember from his forum.

I really want to get an M201 eventually. My C1000S was remarkably passable bearing in mind its abilities on everything else. My Sennheiser dynamics are good too - I end up using them most because they're so stout. I like my Shure 545 a lot but it's very old and worth more to me to use than to buy a new one.

so where can i go about finding one in the US. all the websites that i can find that have them are in other countries.

I was alternating between a Beyer 201 and an M-69. I tried one of the Groove Tubes GT-44 condensers on a snare once, just to see what it sounded like. It now has a permanent residence there. The snare tracks I get now are pretty damn near perfect. Not pretty good, decent, or even acceptable -- close to perfect (for me, and for what I want it to do).

With the hypercardiod cap, it does a good job rejecting the hat; what does get in is smooth. And what it does to the snare is truly satisfying. I've used it now on about 4 different drummers, and results have been consistant.

The ATM23 is another well kept secret for snare.

Using an M201 as the reference, the ATM23 compares as nearly identical. Both were a noticeable improvement over an SM57, especially for controlling bleed.

Yes, I would still opt for an M201 if I could score one for a deal. They hold a remarkable selling price on eBay... not worth paying close to new, for a used mic.

I have two ATM23, and have recently acquired an Audix D3, but have not had time to do a comparison.

I remember reading in a Tape-Op magazine that the Sony ECM50 is pretty sweet. I'm trying to get one off Ebay right now..

If I remember, I'll let you know how it is.

I'll try to get them up this weekend, got a ton of stuff on my plate, but it wouldn't take too long.

- Jarick

Snare drum mics

The best mic I have used is the Sennheiser MD 441 its very clear and cuts through, also rejecting the hi hat

other snare mics i have used and not liked include

SM 57
MD 421
Blue Baby Bottle
Akg 414
Akg C 451 e
GT-66

PS get your self a good pre amp my fav for snare is the Avalon 737 or the API 512

Back