Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Small vs Large condenser for instrumental acoustic guitar

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    LB, I've managed to move the file out of the AW1600, and adjusted the volume to be close to the others. The Yamaha was quite a bit lower in level than the other two, so I had to bump it about an additional 4-5dB. You might hear a difference in noise floor. Here's the resulting file.

Something that I found interesting was that in total, I did 17 minutes of recording. Of the three recorders, the AW1600 was the fastest. The Tascam/Reaper was .07 seconds slower than the AW, and the R24 was .12 seconds slower than the AW. I found that interesting. Also, the phase was identical on all three recorders, which is a good sign. I didn't use any EQ or effects, just volume adjustment.
    Well its good that it sound similar. Differences in gain is expected. No ice pick effect. Really nice Taylor sound. Not my crap plastic ovation that was cool when Skid Row was popular..

A moderate level recording . Modest , but very clear. Rich that is what I would want an acoustic to sound like.

screenshot-2021-01-22-201157-jpg

Blackbird....

The quality is so good, Im totally jealous. It makes me think I should have spent the money on Roller Skate Shoes...and give up recording.
    screenshot-2021-01-23-005821-jpg
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 3 Days Ago at 00:00.

Thanks
    The DP24 has no limiter. The compressor is basic. So I had to take in each track as its own song into Reaper. Use that. No balanced FX loop. No stereo FX loop. Ouch.

I tried a bunch of different sources. I feel confident it is recording well enough to add effects. Its a shame cause a limiter is the first thing you grab.

Pick a max level, and push the signal against it.

Aren't you guys limiting to achieve a radio sound?

Thanks
    C'mon Beakster,

You think a machine that sells for $400 is going to have external FX loops?

I don't do any limiting until I get to the mixdown stage, and that's not a lot. Besides, you can use a compressor as a pseudo limiter, just set the threshold somewhat high, and use a high ratio. If you're doing an 8-10/1 compression and threshold at -5dB with a fast attack, that should give you 40-50dB headroom. If you're exceeding that, you need to drop single levels. Use a rounded knee and you might get a more even sounding limiter!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    just set the threshold somewhat high, and use a high ratio. If you're doing an 8-10/1 compression and threshold at -5dB with a fast attack, that should give you 40-50dB headroom. If you're exceeding that, you need to drop single levels. Use a rounded knee and you might get a more even sounding limiter!
    From your recording the level looks too low. There is no mix. But if I tried to apply compression in reaper, would it not set correct unless every track in the main is set to a common gain? Limiting I normalize the tracks so they are at common levels and respond more evenly to common thresholds. Varying track levels would leave tracks unaffected. The track has to get to -6 first before it can be limited there. The Reaper master limiter lowest setting is -6. My hardware Aphex 320 goes to like -14 or -16. Smash it with the VCA.

So in reaper I aim for -16 to -8 then limit the peaks at -6. Normalizing does have something to do with it.

The DP24 gives a satisfying amount of volume. This recording is bad. But I share to show I belted it too hard. Or perhaps it was the normalizing of every track.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 14 Hours Ago at 13:25.

Thanks
    I would not use the 991, pretty harsh. I've got an Avantone C7 LDC that I hit the pad on it and it sounds good on my acoustic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zepfan59 View Post
    I would not use the 991, pretty harsh. I've got an Avantone C7 LDC that I hit the pad on it and it sounds good on my acoustic.
    You use a pad. Interesting. On an acoustic. Cause yours is so loud, right?
    Why? and what levels are you aiming for?

I went back to electric.

My Ovation is shot. Electronics dont work any more.

Here is another DP24 haha masterpiece..no yelling this time. Im still normalizing. And I don't know why.

Thread Information