Small vs Large condenser for instrumental acoustic guitar

if there are stand alones that can be connected to at least a screen for viewing the wav...etc. .

Can you record a microphone input to wav file , and copy that into the DAW? Keeping projects to the same master BPM.

I like the drum machine VST's and controllers. The DAW changed drums forever.

Man, those finger tap drums like the MPD218 make fun beats quick. I 'm not into a bunch pre recorded patterns on a midi map. Let me tap it out at least.. Create something. I hope it can be used still.

Can you record a microphone input to wav file , and copy that into the DAW? Keeping projects to the same master BPM.

I like the drum machine VST's and controllers. The DAW changed drums forever.

Man, those finger tap drums like the MPD218 make fun beats quick. I 'm not into a bunch pre recorded patterns on a midi map. Let me tap it out at least.. Create something. I hope it can be used still.

Not too sure what you're asking here. If you're asking about using a wav file from the DP24...you can import a wav from the DP24 to any computer and then import that to your DAW project.

Mick

Great. that is what I need.

I want to make a wav with the Apollo USB. Then a wav with the DP24. Compare the two in the DAW.

Now my Laptop is not back yet.. So this is the Apollo's old MXL991 recording. 12" from the hole. No Fx or anything. I tried to render it a about -6db on the render meter. Then a current comparison with the DP24's recording the MXL991 from 12". No Fx. Again I tried to render it the same levels but the meat of the recording is different. About -5.8-6. Is one better? Is there a USB bottle neck? For all I know the Tech Support guy is feeding me a line of bunk. Is that what a bottle neck sounds like?

Mxl991onDP24 by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Mxl991onApollo by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

There is no such thing as a bottle neck is there? haha

Man, they had me going..false path. There are many, but only one true way.

Listening to those two, they aren't even close to the same. The Apollo recording is thin, almost what people call "ice pick" sounding. The DP24 sounded closer to what I would expect. If that's the way your recordings are coming out, either the Apollo is defective, or you've got somethings set up seriously wrong in your recording chain.

Maybe I'll pull out my Zoom R24 and my AW1600, and put them up against my 16x08. I've got three Senn 835s, 3 CAD 411s, and 3 MXL 992s that I can use. That should give me a good comparison. Sounds like a good project, since its too dang cold to hit the golf course today or tomorrow.

If I get it done, I'll post a quick acoustic comparison.

Listening to those two, they aren't even close to the same. The Apollo recording is thin, almost what people call "ice pick" sounding. .

Yes. It is most noticeable when recording a bass. Where did the bass go?

After over a year with it I gave. I fought with UA support and got nowhere. The DP24 sounds correct for what is in the room.

Please do. I need as many examples as I can get(explain them to, what was used). Could you include like 3 notes from a bass amp. And perhaps 10-20 seconds of dry vocal.

No Eq. Or Compress.

FirstDP24Recording by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
OK, I forgot how tricky it is to get things off the AW1600, but I've got it recorded.

Here's the comparison of the Zoom R24 at 48K/24 bit vs the Tascam 16x08 into Reaper recorded at 88K/24b and both rendered to 256K MP3 at 48K. I had to tweak the volume settings to get them close. It looks like they're within about 1 or so dB to each other.

You tell me if they are closer than your Apollo and the DP24. Mics are Sennheiser 835s about 18" from the end of the fretboard of my Taylor 310 with light gauge strings.

Attachments

• LBS Mic Test - 16x08.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • LBS Mic Test - R24.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
LB, I've managed to move the file out of the AW1600, and adjusted the volume to be close to the others. The Yamaha was quite a bit lower in level than the other two, so I had to bump it about an additional 4-5dB. You might hear a difference in noise floor. Here's the resulting file.

Something that I found interesting was that in total, I did 17 minutes of recording. Of the three recorders, the AW1600 was the fastest. The Tascam/Reaper was .07 seconds slower than the AW, and the R24 was .12 seconds slower than the AW. I found that interesting. Also, the phase was identical on all three recorders, which is a good sign. I didn't use any EQ or effects, just volume adjustment.

Attachments

• LBS Mic Test - AW1600.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
LB, I've managed to move the file out of the AW1600, and adjusted the volume to be close to the others. The Yamaha was quite a bit lower in level than the other two, so I had to bump it about an additional 4-5dB. You might hear a difference in noise floor. Here's the resulting file.

Something that I found interesting was that in total, I did 17 minutes of recording. Of the three recorders, the AW1600 was the fastest. The Tascam/Reaper was .07 seconds slower than the AW, and the R24 was .12 seconds slower than the AW. I found that interesting. Also, the phase was identical on all three recorders, which is a good sign. I didn't use any EQ or effects, just volume adjustment.

Well its good that it sound similar. Differences in gain is expected. No ice pick effect. Really nice Taylor sound. Not my crap plastic ovation that was cool when Skid Row was popular..

A moderate level recording . Modest , but very clear. Rich that is what I would want an acoustic to sound like.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 201157.jpg

Blackbird....

The quality is so good, Im totally jealous. It makes me think I should have spent the money on Roller Skate Shoes...and give up recording.
Screenshot 2021-01-23 005821.jpg

Last edited:
The DP24 has no limiter. The compressor is basic. So I had to take in each track as its own song into Reaper. Use that. No balanced FX loop. No stereo FX loop. Ouch.

I tried a bunch of different sources. I feel confident it is recording well enough to add effects. Its a shame cause a limiter is the first thing you grab.

Pick a max level, and push the signal against it.

Aren't you guys limiting to achieve a radio sound?

C'mon Beakster,

You think a machine that sells for $400 is going to have external FX loops?

I don't do any limiting until I get to the mixdown stage, and that's not a lot. Besides, you can use a compressor as a pseudo limiter, just set the threshold somewhat high, and use a high ratio. If you're doing an 8-10/1 compression and threshold at -5dB with a fast attack, that should give you 40-50dB headroom. If you're exceeding that, you need to drop single levels. Use a rounded knee and you might get a more even sounding limiter!

just set the threshold somewhat high, and use a high ratio. If you're doing an 8-10/1 compression and threshold at -5dB with a fast attack, that should give you 40-50dB headroom. If you're exceeding that, you need to drop single levels. Use a rounded knee and you might get a more even sounding limiter!

From your recording the level looks too low. There is no mix. But if I tried to apply compression in reaper, would it not set correct unless every track in the main is set to a common gain? Limiting I normalize the tracks so they are at common levels and respond more evenly to common thresholds. Varying track levels would leave tracks unaffected. The track has to get to -6 first before it can be limited there. The Reaper master limiter lowest setting is -6. My hardware Aphex 320 goes to like -14 or -16. Smash it with the VCA.

So in reaper I aim for -16 to -8 then limit the peaks at -6. Normalizing does have something to do with it.

The DP24 gives a satisfying amount of volume. This recording is bad. But I share to show I belted it too hard. Or perhaps it was the normalizing of every track.
FadenormalizedLimited - 6 by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
I would not use the 991, pretty harsh. I've got an Avantone C7 LDC that I hit the pad on it and it sounds good on my acoustic.

I would not use the 991, pretty harsh. I've got an Avantone C7 LDC that I hit the pad on it and it sounds good on my acoustic.

You use a pad. Interesting. On an acoustic. Cause yours is so loud, right?
Why? and what levels are you aiming for?

I went back to electric.

My Ovation is shot. Electronics dont work any more.

Here is another DP24 haha masterpiece..no yelling this time. Im still normalizing. And I don't know why.

Everydaynormalizedo - 6 by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Roller skate shoes would be awesome. Too much work.

But how bout' AN ELECTRIC UNICYCLE? Man, I was getting the mail and a kid in the neighborhood flew by me on one of these going about 25 MPH.

Unicycle to work, or the emergency room. 50/50 chance either way...Nah kidding. Once you got it, Im sure its perfectly safe to go 45MPH on one wheel..

40 MPH 2 hr recharge and 50-60 mile range.

Whats next flying electric cars? Oh wait...The future is now..

Screenshot 2021-01-26 054413.jpg

Back