Are small diaphragm condenser mics an upgrade from dynamic mics?

Blue20Boy17

I have a (very) small home studio. Currently, I use the Cobalt Co7 mics for recording all of my instruments (guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, mandolin) as well as vocals. I use two mics on each instrument.

I'm not getting the sound I want at all with these mics, and adding plugins to the track honestly emphasizes the bad characteristics.

Are small diaphragm mics an upgrade from dynamic mics?

I know lots of pro studios use the KM84 for bluegrass recordings. I am poor and cannot afford a KM84.

I was looking at the Behringer C-2 and the Presonus PM-2. Are these good mics? What are some other paired mics in the same price range (or just a little higher) as the C-2 and the PM-2?

Moving coil (dynamic) mics have their uses where they excel, so that's not to say that one type of mic is "better" than another. Having said that, moving coils typically get used in near field applications where the mic is very close to the source. There can be exceptions. Ribbons (also dynamic mics) and condensers are often more comfortable and better sounding at greater distances from the source. As you move the mic farther from the source the room sound comes into play a lot more. That can make it easier to get a more natural sound from a source, but if the room doesn't sound good that will be part of the sound captured.

Small diaphragms usually have excellent off axis response making them a good choice for a natural sounding capture.

Small Condensor Suggestions:

Well built for not a lot of money-sE Electronics SE7 at $99 each or $199 for a MATCHED pair. Hand built capsules etc.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/sE7P--se-electronics-se7-matched-pair

Neumann 84 character?
-sE Electronics SE8 at $249 each or $499 matched pair.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/sE8--se-electronics-se8-small-diaphragm-condenser

-Warm Audio WA-84 at $399 each or $749 matched pair.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...84-small-diaphragm-condenser-microphone-black

If you can find a good condition sE Electronics SE3 or SE4, they are medium diaphragm mics and are more multi-purposed.

I would definitely get at least one SDC for your acoustic instrument tracking. I've heard good things about the sE Electronics SDCs. I don't have one, but have one of their LDC mics and it's quite good, and been looking at their ribbon mics.

I have a pair of the Studio Projects C4 mics and have used them for 10 years. Their reviews are mixed, but honestly they work just fine for home use for me. Still, for $200 for the pair, those SE7s are probably your best bet.

You might consider just using a single mic on instruments if you are doing a bluegrass mix. Good positioning will give you what you need.

Here's me and my son - just 2 SDCs (i.e., one SP C4 on my guitar and one old AT4051a on the fiddle, tracked separately) and a dynamic on vocal (recorded at the same time as the guitar, so some bleed there).
The Road (acoustic cover) - SoundCloud link

If you are tracking an instrument at a time and have a good space, a large diaphragm condenser may be more useful, but an SDC is good for ensembles.

Why do you use two microphones on each instrument? I only use 2 if one cannot quite capture what I want on instruments that have different tone from different areas? I choose the mic to flatter the instrument, so a dynamic on my clarinet produces the nicest tone (because it's a a pretty horrible clarinet). LDC on alto and tenor, SDC on soprano. SDC on acoustic guitars, Dynamic or LDC on double bass, and 2 x SDC normally on piano. That's my starting point and for my own instruments it will be fine, but for other people's? I start with these but often swap.

Back