SM58 replacement ? + mixing desk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
Ye, I was surprised at how little difference there was in THAT test. It is possible that another voice, maybe a female voice, would show great differences?

There was more tendency to 'pop' from the 58 I thought and of course the 7b has the EQ in it and the humbucking facility.

Since I still had the mixer/KA6 still rigged I decided to do some comparisons of my own. I am sorry about the background noise. I don't usually have mics so close to a rather noisy desktop but things are bit wrecked around the place at the moment.

Should have said... All flat except the HPF engaged for each mic.
Dave.

Attachments

• berry v akg01.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • prodip v akg 01.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • prodipe v akg 2.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Good call Rich. Now why didn't my meds-ridden old brain get that?! The 'clock' thing I mean.

My worry is that the USB feed will be pre-EQ and other functions. I have tried to contact Yamaha support but you have to fill in a form and they want ser Nos and DOP! I have lodged a question with Sweetwater.

Dave.
USB feed is taken off the main stereo bus, so EQ and effects get sent out via USB. Yamaha was nice enough to include a block diagram in their tech specs guide.

Attachments

• mg usb.png
    mg usb.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Twinky,

I listened to your various files, and I think the -7dB with HPF file is definitely the best for clarity. You could probably go up to -5dB but I wouldn't go any higher than that. The HPF isn't giving a major change in the sound, but it is getting rid of a lot of stuff below 70-80 Hz which isn't really needed in a voice. It would be best to get those very low frequencies out so they don't affect anything else down the line.

There are two big peaks at about 120Hz and 230Hz which are the ones giving it the really deep, heavy sound. Compared to the files at 0dB, those peaks are indeed attenuated by about 6-7dB.

Attached is the spectrum analysis of the two -7dB files.

Attachments

• Twinky -7dB comparison.jpg
    Twinky -7dB comparison.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank you very much!

So I followed your advice and I am constantly activating the HPF and indeed, I can see a difference!

As far as bass is concerned, when I set it to 0 in the middle, it's true that it's not terrible at all and that the result is much better at - 6 DB.

But I still have this problem, yes it's better (largely) but I find that it is not clear and that it misses something! Am I wrong? I would like it to be a bit like that but not too much anyway ahah. I want it to be natural, but with this little thing in addition!
I'm aware that we don't have the same voice, but we can still hear a difference in the bass or I don't know.
Falling in love with Shure SM7b all over again - How to get AMAZING sound out of SM7b in 2020 - YouTube
Maybe it's because he's using a goxlr and so he has a lot more options to change the parameters?

Thanks dude!

Attachments

• TEST03.mp3
    359.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't know how you hear hiss on those YTs because of the damned background music!

Pisses me off! TV programmes HAVE have music going on ALL THE FEKKING TIME! If I watch a documentary about grizzlies in the Rockies I want to follow the dialogue! Don't want music clogging up what hearing I have left. (subtitles would be super but rarely done for these cheap skate imported programmes)

What is a "natural" voice? It for sure is not the one YOU hear in your head. Give me clarity first, last and always. I want to UNDERSTAND the person, not take them to dinner!

Dave.

We've been talking a lot about trying to get the "clearest", most natural sound but these have been made by listening to high quality sound samples. Twinky mentioned using Discord for streaming.

I'm curious about the sound quality of Discord. I've used a few types of conference software for work over the year, and they all seemed to have a big effect on the sound. Many sound "phasey". Watching the current TV shows being broadcast from the quarantined hosts' homes, many have really dismal sound. A few seemed to be improving at time goes by, but I can still hear the sound degradation from the streaming services like Skype and Citrix.

How do you find the quality of the Discord service? I've looked at a few Youtube videos about Discord, but none appeared to have actual sound coming from the app.

You can have the clearest, most perfect sound coming from the microphone, but if the streaming service turns your pristine audio into the equivalent of a 32k MP3, there's not a lot you can do. Perhaps limiting the bandwidth to keep from stressing the system (cut the bottom and top so that you can concentrate on the middle?).

Does anyone have any comments on the best approach for streaming sound?

I use discord voice pretty often and find the quality to be really good.

It's very obvious which guys have a decent microphone and a proper set up and which are using cheap headsets or laptop built-ins.
I use an RE-20 with mild eq+compression and get frequent 'wow' comments from people so, in my experience, it's worth putting in some effort.

It does have built-in echo cancellation, noise reduction, and automatic gain control,
all of which I would disable for preservation of quality. For any half serious recording or stream that should all be handled in the room.

Thank **** for that! I too was wondering why we were getting very decent pictures from well heeled celebrity's homes but with horrible gargly sound. Considering they had plenty of bandwidth for video they would have done much better with the old NICAM!

Dave.

For discord, I know I had a problem when I was with the foscurite and so I can't wait to see if I'm going to have that problem again!
At times on discord, apparently my microphone sizzles and I have to unplug the cable behind the foscurite and then plug it back in... I've never had this problem in streaming so discord has problems on this side !

But all is good, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer me and also for your precious advices!

I'm finally going to go on a GoXLR which will be simpler for what I want and if one day I really want to change for a SM7b, the goxlr will be perfect!

Thanks a lot, I learned a lot with you :)

For discord, I know I had a problem when I was with the foscurite and so I can't wait to see if I'm going to have that problem again!
At times on discord, apparently my microphone sizzles and I have to unplug the cable behind the foscurite and then plug it back in... I've never had this problem in streaming so discord has problems on this side !

But all is good, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer me and also for your precious advices!

I'm finally going to go on a GoXLR which will be simpler for what I want and if one day I really want to change for a SM7b, the goxlr will be perfect!

Thanks a lot, I learned a lot with you :)
Please let us know how the GoXLR works out for you (maybe a mini-review) and post an mp3 clip of it when you can.

With pleasure! Unfortunately, there are no more in stock on thomman, they will be delivered in 2 weeks!

Can't wait to let you know to see if there's really a difference!
But even if there isn't, I'm going to use the faders a lot for the sound!

Hello,

It was really long, but I finally received my GOXLR mixing desk!
Here is a recording, feel free to tell me if it's correct or if I have to change some things?
Or is it better than the old mixing desk?

I'm not convinced when I record, I touched some settings and I shouldn't have because yesterday it was better

Here are my settings on the GOXLR518af22ce6393bdf017a197a889afd95.pnga90e07f196d72f598f0e80c492df4d73.png875dd96734e45b1d3c29e49a4072861c.png58a50fd223b74e0ae46d30114ce49cd1.png3c502380fa4a0279b329827531a38478.png

Attachments

• GOXLR.mp3
    333.7 KB · Views: 9
Sounds fine to me. Level is higher than normal tracking, peaking to -6dBfs but that is I think where 'Podders' want to be? The noise floor is a commendable -58dBfs.

I would have liked a more 'measured' clip of longer duration (and in English!) and with some 20 second silences but overall...got there.

Dave.

In fact, I just realized that I was 100% on an option because I found myself much too strong.
Here is a new recording, I went from 100% to 79%.

Me speak English? NO ahahah
Do you want your ears to bleed?
I don't really know how to speak it and when I speak English, I have a disgusting accent. :facepalm:

So you were right, it had to go down!
Don't hesitate to tell me if there are any changes to be made.
I will follow you!

Or if you want a longer recording?

Attachments

• GOXLRR.mp3
    799 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wait, it's not good, it's the same gain

In fact I'm obliged to leave at 100% otherwise on the stream for example, I can't be heard very well

What exactly do I need to lower?

I was 100% and here is the recording 90%

Attachments

• GOXLRR.mp3
    566.3 KB · Views: 5
He looks good to me, doesn't he?
I took the configuration of a guy who has the same microphone to try and I like it, what do you think, is it better ?

I stop sending messages with my recordings, at this point, it's spam. :)8ead2b415e281d7d10b36d533a670a1b.png

Attachments

• GOXLRRRR.mp3
    775.5 KB · Views: 4
In fact, I just realized that I was 100% on an option because I found myself much too strong.
Here is a new recording, I went from 100% to 79%.

Me speak English? NO ahahah
Do you want your ears to bleed?
I don't really know how to speak it and when I speak English, I have a disgusting accent. :facepalm:

So you were right, it had to go down!
Don't hesitate to tell me if there are any changes to be made.
I will follow you!

Or if you want a longer recording?

Hey! 'I' had to struggle with French 60 odd years ago in high school! The few words on there were fine. My son lives in France and get regularly teased about his accent but since none of THEM can play rock guitar, keys, Bach on classical, drums and clarinet NEARLY as well as he, they don't push their luck. He is both useful and cheap!

The level has actually gone up to -5dBfs! Does not mattter mon ami. If you were recording a track to mix down with several others then yes, neg 5 is too hot and you would want it around -20 with peaks to -8 absolute max.
But that is not what you are doing, you want a track to go out fairly loudly and that is what the compression is for.

To sum up...

Level is fine (for your purpose)
Noise level is fine.
Voice and sound quality is fine IMHO.

You have. 'as we say 'ere "Cracked it!"

Dave.

Back