SM58 replacement ? + mixing desk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
I glanced quickly at Discord. It looks as if it may rely on Java being on the computer to run(?). Not sure if that may be why it wouldn't install for you. Have read about a few issues on security problems with Java that I won't install it, although things may have changed in respect to that.

Err? DISABLE virus protection from the Main Men to allow some badly written software finnagle its way in? Havin' a Giraffe.

I respect caution when unsure but I'm not sure there's enough information to arrive at that, or any, conclusion.

Everything I've quoted is correct in my previous message ? [MENTION=190964]arcaxis[/MENTION] :)

For discord, I personally have never had a problem, it's weird that you have that!
It's true that Windows 10 isn't great.
Nothing better than windows xp, windows 7 on a lot of points...
Things evolve but sometimes in the wrong direction unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
- The foam anti pop can modify the sound. Try without it.
- Remove the grille and wash the anti pop inside with water and soap, then let it dry completely (you can use an air dryer).
- Look at the capsule: some iron powder or sand with iron could be attracted by the magnet.
- If you used the microphone with Phantom power on (that should not be a problem) with an unbalanced or shorted cable (this IS a problem), you could have magnetized the transformer inside the body of the microphone. In that case, you have to pass the body of the microphone (only the body side) in an A.C. demagnetizer. If you find one, you can do it anyway, because it doesn't damage the microphone.

[MENTION=46900]gianluca68[/MENTION] I regularly clean the pop filter and I had already tried it without the pop filter and it was always the same.
However, take off the grid, you're teaching me something, I tried it but it seems to be quite hard to unscrew. I'll see later.
Thanks !

Hello,

So I'll receive the mixing desk today or tomorrow!
To be already ready, where do I have to connect the cables exactly? I understood that I had to connect the two cables to the XLR inputs of the foscurite, but on the mixer, there are a lot of them xD

14b2a2ebd9be831e804444e40f5de4df.jpg

[MENTION=46900]gianluca68[/MENTION] I regularly clean the pop filter and I had already tried it without the pop filter and it was always the same.
However, take off the grid, you're teaching me something, I tried it but it seems to be quite hard to unscrew. I'll see later.
Thanks !

Hello,

So I'll receive the mixing desk today or tomorrow!
To be already ready, where do I have to connect the cables exactly? I understood that I had to connect the two cables to the XLR inputs of the foscurite, but on the mixer, there are a lot of them xD

View attachment 106575

No, not XLR cables. TRS jack to jack cables as per my drawing from the mixer's Main Outputs to the line inputs on the 2i2.

As it happens I have done some noise tests* for this exact setup ('cept my mixer was an A&H zed10 and the AI a NI KA6! ) The previous day I was running the mixer into the rear line inputs of the KA6 and this worsened the noise floor from -102dB fs (rms) to an appalling(!) -101.4 dB fs. That is, you are never gonna know.

Today I changed the feed from the mixer to the front 1&2 inputs and that was a little worse but still a noise floor of better than -88dB fs.

*I did these tests because "people" kept and keep saying "Ooo! If you feed an AI from a mixer your noise levels will be ***t!" Well, if you use a ***t mixer or know Jack ***t about gain staging they might but given decent gear and bit of sense all will be well. And after all? What everyone did in the 'good old' days of tape! And what is an AI and DAW essentially but a bloody good tape recorder with a near infinite tape length?

Dave.

Would it be possible if it's not too much to ask to surround the inputs of the mixing desk to put the TRS cables? On the drawing you made, I didn't quite understand.

Oh yea? But then I do what you told me? I connect to the foscurite and I put the gain of the foscurite at minimum (0)?

What TRS cables to inputs are you speaking of? You have TRS cables to connect the mixer 'Stereo Out' to the left and right inputs 2i2. The other cable to connect the PC Line out to an input to the mixer is not/shouldn't be a TRS cable.

Typical connections are shown in the users guide which you should have looked at by now. The 'Electric Keyboard' would be typical of a stereo input connection as shown in the users guide.

Attachments

• connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2
I only bought two cables to connect the mixer to the foscurite!

This: Toutes nos excuses

So I'm going to connect my TRS cables from the mixing desk to the foscurite (electric keyboard).

Thanks for the picture, perfect :)

The jacks you want are in the extreme right of the mixer, in the Blue area and underneath the male XLR outputs. Now, setup will be a bit protracted but easy once you have got it. The mixer first.

Turn all the channel level controls to minimum.(white caps) Set the Mix out control (Stereo Level 23 on the crappy user sheet) to 4. Plug a microphone into channel 1 and set the Level 1 (white cap) to 4. Talk at the mic then set the mic gain to get the LED meters to give about '0'. Set ch 1 Pan to centre if you want the mic in both channels.

Now the 2i2. Set the controls initially to 12 o'clock, noon. The AI should show a level as you speak, if ii is going int red, back of the AI controls till it does not. If, with the controls at minimum it still goes red, take the channel level back.

Now setup a stereo track in your DAW (cannot remember what you use) and you should aim for your voice to be at around -20dB fs.

Sounds like a lot of hassle but be systematic, change only one control at a time. You will only have to do this once (!) Subsequent connections will be controlled from the mixer.

Dave.

I only bought two cables to connect the mixer to the foscurite!

This: Toutes nos excuses

So I'm going to connect my TRS cables from the mixing desk to the foscurite (electric keyboard).

Thanks for the picture, perfect :)

'Electric Keyboard' has nothing to do with connecting the mixer to the 2i2. 'Electric Keyboard' was in reference to the connection of the PC audio outputs or any other stereo input connection.
Look back at the picture I posted of my mixer and interface and see if you can follow the cable connections, they are kind of similar..

'Electric Keyboard' has nothing to do with connecting the mixer to the 2i2. 'Electric Keyboard' was in reference to the connection of the PC audio outputs or any other stereo input connection.
Look back at the picture I posted of my mixer and interface and see if you can follow the cable connections, they are kind of similar..

Thanks Mark. Twicky, stay with JUST the mixer the AI and a mic for now PLEASE!

Dave.

Like That ? :

2142a31cf4b04da223c2f3b224baf2e9.jpg

I think it's good !
Thanks for the clarification, I'll get the table tomorrow!
So if I switch to red on the mixer, I lower the level which is at the bottom left of the mixer? I don't touch the foscurite or anything.

Like That ? :

View attachment 106577

I think it's good !
Thanks for the clarification, I'll get the table tomorrow!
So if I switch to red on the mixer, I lower the level which is at the bottom left of the mixer? I don't touch the foscurite or anything.

No. The mixer goes into the FRONT jacks of the 2i2 and the microphone into channel 1 of the mixer.

Dave.

Ah ok where we put the XLR plugs on the foscurite very well ok :)

Hey Twiky, consider this.....

Why don't we skip/forget connecting up the 2i2 to the mixer for a while and just use the MG10XU mixers USB to connect to your computer. This takes an extra level of complexity out of the equation and takes a few things off the plate that you're having a difficult time grasping. The mixer was originally going to be used to give an extra amount of gain for the mic into the 2i2, but the maximum gain on a mic input of the mixer is +64dB. The 64dB of gain is likely much better than the 2i2 (about +50dB I think?) and may be enough for the mic to get decent levels in your software. This way you'll learn a bit about the mixer without the entanglement of figuring out 'gain staging' of the mixer into the 2i2. Later when you have a good feeling how the mixer works then you can try it out with the 2i2. You will still want the cable that connects the PC audio output to a stereo pair of line inputs on the mixer, but play with the mic for a bit before jumping ahead to that step.

I just got it. Anyway I can't plug them both in because I hadn't seen it, but I need a USB cable for the mixer . So I took the cable from the foscurite. That's what I wanted to do anyway just to try without the foscurite.

Now there's another problem, I can't be heard as well with the mixer, and yet I put it all volume at full volume

EDIT :

Oh yes, okay, you have to adjust the bass, medium, high ect... complicated. I can't find the same voice that I have in streaming. It's a lot less clear and a little less deep.
wtf, the mixer's so hot, it's hot to the touch.

I just got it. Anyway I can't plug them both in because I hadn't seen it, but I need a USB cable for the mixer . So I took the cable from the foscurite. That's what I wanted to do anyway just to try without the foscurite.

Now there's another problem, I can't be heard as well with the mixer, and yet I put it all volume at full volume

Put what at full volume???

- Set the MIC channel 'Gain 1' and 'Level 1' knob at 0 (zero).
- Set the red 'Stereo Level' knob to the arrow at 3 o'clock.
- Be sure the Pad button near the Mic input XLR is NOT depressed. Should be in an up/out position
- While speaking into the mic as you normally would, increase the 'Gain 1' knob until the red Peak LED near the 'Level 1' knob just starts to flicker.
- Increase the 'Level 1' knob so the bars on the LED VU level meter reach to the yellow or a bit above, but don't go into the red. This should set the level for the USB output to where it should be.

If the levels in the DAW/software aren't 'loud' enough, there may be a gain adjustment in your software.

Also read the user manual thoroughly as it may help to better understand the controls. There is a Technical Specification manual which may not be of help at this point.

In order for me to have sound, I have to turn the gain and level all the way up. I don't have what you're telling me though, the light doesn't come on.

"the red Peak LED near the 'Level 1' knob just starts to flicker."

I've just read the manual and everything is correct though.

EDIT :

Oh, yeah, okay, I just solved my problem... I think. When I put the program on 1, I can be heard so well and nothing is changed I specify. When I change it, they can't hear me very well. However I did not activate the FX ON. Do I really have to turn everything off (volume, etc... for the program ?) ?

EDIT :

In the end it wasn't like that, I haven't changed anything in particular but maybe I'm just tired. I'll see tomorrow and I'll make a comparison on my side to see if there's a difference!

Back