SM58 replacement ? + mixing desk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
I don't want to do all this over the phone, but directly on the computer. I also often listen to playlists youtube so it would be a bit boring especially the number of music. I just want to be able to adjust the sound of the browser with the mixer and spotify, discord, play.

What do i need to buy please? Just jack cables and download software?

Listening to me, you must think I'm living in a fairy tale ahah

But just a few simple things even if, in the end, it's not that simple...Yeah

I don't want to do all this over the phone, but directly on the computer. I also often listen to playlists youtube so it would be a bit boring especially the number of music. I just want to be able to adjust the sound of the browser with the mixer and spotify, discord, play.

What do i need to buy please? Just jack cables and download software?

Listening to me, you must think I'm living in a fairy tale ahah

But just a few simple things even if, in the end, it's not that simple...Yeah

No, you will not "be doing this all over the phone" !! The phone is just a playback device to get the music into the mixer and then into the 2i2 and hence the DAW. The phone could be another laptop, a CD player, cassette deck....

So, see attached. That is as basic as I can make it the setup of the TRS jack cables to the 2i2 line inputs*.
Why are 'we' doing this and this way?

1) you want to modify your voice and make it less 'bassy' plus perhaps a little bit of lift in the upper mid band area to add clarity? That cannot be done in real time with the AI.

2) there are times you say when you 'go over the top' and blast either the mic pre amp in the 2i2 or/and the converter. Again, there is no remedy for that in the AI. The mixer has a compressor on each mic channel to control this.

3) With an AI you have no immediate control of where in the stereo picture your voice and any incidental music or sounds are placed. The mixer gives you that control with the 'Pan' knobs.

*I have looked up the specifications of the 2i2 and the line inputs have a gain range of -10dB to +35dB and an overload point of +20dB. Those figures mean you could have the meters on the mixer averaging around 0VU and I am sure set a good working level in the DAW. As said earlier, that will be somewhat higher than for 'straight' digital recording but, with the compressor, quite manageable I am sure.
I suggests you setup as shown and experiment with levels, EQ and the other parameters. Maybe post a clip (attach as 320k MP3 is best for me)

Dave.

Attachments

• mixer to 2i2.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 6
Quickly setup with SM57, Tascam US-144mkII, old Behringer MX 802A mixer, and Audacity to record. Mp3 played back from MS Audio player through PC line out. Attached mp3 clip. Did not tweak levels after recording.
(The Metz Catz video distribution box is how I select where I route where the PC line out audio goes to. Cheap is the key word. :D)

Attachments

• test.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • mixer to usb.jpg
    mixer to usb.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 4
[MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION]

Oh ok, the two jacks will go on the two entrances of the foscurite, I was seeing something else !
Thanks for the details !

But how do streamers do it ? Because they have another computer next door?
What do you think of this video?
It's for the 12XU, but it's probably for the 10XU, I guess.
YouTube

But at this point, the price goes up and I might as well go on a goxlr...
It's so expensive is it getting

It's really not possible otherwise ?
I'm really not a fan of this technique and I prefer to do nothing. I don't see myself downloading music to move it around. I mainly listen to music on youtube or spotify with my own or other people's playlist. That's why :/
I'm not going to bother you anymore, if it's not possible and if it's "obligatory" a pc for what I want, I'll drop it. As I was saying, I imagined something simpler and just connect cables and configure directly on the PC.

And if not for discord, pc game and others, it's RIP too ?

[MENTION=190964]arcaxis[/MENTION]

Ah yes ok, the volume is different from mine, there's no photo ahahah

That's a lot of boxes!

It sounds cool and the music on the side, great!

"I select where I route where the PC line out audio goes to. Cheap is the key word"

what's the name that allows you to route sound to the computer please ?

I appreciate your help :thumbs up:

Would the GoXLR solve all my problems with the SM58 just like the yamaha mg10XU?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a crap video of that Yamaha mixer! I could not follow a quarter of what the guy was mumbling about.

WHY do people on such YTs feel they have to produce a 'performance'? Just a well scripted, well spoken delivery, at a sensible pace is all that is needed.

The mixer and a few cables is all you need to buy. You have a mic and the 2i2. Your phone will serve as an external feed for music. Thomann show the mixer at Eu 209 so cables another Eu 20 tops. The GoXLR is $400 and you will still need some cables!

Dave.

This: YouTube
was done with an admittedly bigger mixer for all the sources but is essentially a voice, clearly presented and a music feed.

Dave.

Ahahahah :laughings::laughings::laughings:

"The mixer and a few cables is all you need to buy"

For discord ect. I just need to buy some cables then, which ones?
For the music, it's rip so for me with this solution

For the GoXLR, no, I don't need to buy a cable unless I have another PC. Everything is integrated for discord ect which is great!
YouTube

Otherwise for the mixing desk and the foscurite to make it simple, thanks to the jack connection it will simply send the signal to the foscurite and it's as if the foscurite will be my headphones and not the mixing desk.

Ahahahah :laughings::laughings::laughings:

"The mixer and a few cables is all you need to buy"

For discord ect. I just need to buy some cables then, which ones?
For the music, it's rip so for me with this solution

For the GoXLR, no, I don't need to buy a cable unless I have another PC. Everything is integrated for discord ect which is great!
YouTube

Otherwise for the mixing desk and the foscurite to make it simple, thanks to the jack connection it will simply send the signal to the foscurite and it's as if the foscurite will be my headphones and not the mixing desk.

Now I am totally confused. Please spell out, sentence at a time WHAT you are going to buy.

Yes, you can plug your headphones into the 2i2 but IF you are going with the mixer it is best to get that sounding right first!

IF you are going with the GoXLR then I doubt I can help you further as I know nothing about it.

Dave.

I bought the G10XU and a 3.5/6.5 jack cable.

So already I'm going to see how it's going to sound for the microphone :) !

But if I see that it's too complicated for discord ect. I will surely pay back, for a goxlr by saving a little bit more !

Once again, in one of my first messages, I mentioned that I wanted to manage the sounds, but I thought it wasn't that complicated ahahah.

"The mixer, even one with only two mic inputs, will have additional line inputs that can accept other sound sources such as music, effects etc.

Of course, all the above assumes you are streaming in real time? If you are making 'programmes' to stream later you can do it all in software. ? "

To connect the audio output of the MG10XU to the inputs of 2i2 you will need two 6.5mm TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) cables or a dual 6.5mm TRS like this linked one...
Amazon.com: Hosa CSS-202 Dual 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TRS Stereo Interconnect Cable, 2 Meters: Electronics

The MG10XU is probably more than you need, but better to buy for the future and Yamaha does make good gear and it does have effects which may be useful. You may even find you can simply use the USB of the MG10XU and not need the 2i2 as the interface. The GoXLR in my opinion would be overkill with features you don't need.

Thank you very much :)

With this cable, I could manage the sound for everything? Or do I need a cable for every one? Discord, gaming, etc.?

All the features of the GoXLR will be useful to me...
Then, with the GoXLR, it will also solve my problem with the SM58 and even better apparently and without needing the foscurite or anything. But indeed, it's expensive and I already have the foscurite! Let's see how it will work with the yamaha :)
And if I really don't like it, I'll sell the foscurite to buy a GoXLR !

You need two 6.35mm TRS cables or similar to connect the mixer to the Focusrite....
Amazon.com: Hosa CSS-202 Dual 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TRS Stereo Interconnect Cable, 2 Meters: Electronics

You need a cable to connect the PC Line out 3.5mm to the 6.35mm stereo input on the mixer. This cable could also be used with your phone or tablet as Dave had suggested.
Amazon.com: Hosa CMP-159 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 10 Feet: Musical Instruments

I have no clue regarding Discord or gaming or interest in learning about. I assume the cables mentioned above would be adequate to get the mic and music/youtube audio into the mixer/interface and into a DAW or other program you are using.

1) Yes two cables like this as shown on the ecc83 diagram for the mixing desk at the foscurite to send the signal?
cable here:

TISINO Cable TRS 6,35 mm, cable d'interconnexion Cordon d'alimentation Audio symetrique Jack 6,35 mm male a male: Amazon.fr: High-tech

2) And as far as controlling the sound (music etc.) I need this cable here:

Hosa Technology CMP-159 Cable 3.05 m Noir: Amazon.fr: Instruments de musique

It's good, Everything I need?

As for the connections on the computer tower, I'll try to see which one works, but I doubt I'll have enough connections if I want to use the rest. I guess you need several connections for the sound but there are adapters which is nice and then for the configuration, everything happens in the windows sound settings I guess. I will see when the time comes. The priority for the moment, it is especially the sound that my microphone will give!

:thumbs up:

I thought I would install Discord and have a look. Would not install, two angry red crosses.
Then when I next booted up this laptop, got the attached. Related?

All Greek to me.

Dave.

Attachments

• error 11 06.png
    error 11 06.png
    231 KB · Views: 13
Found a couple of threads suggesting delete 'Discord' folder from localappdata and appdata (path shown in error) then reinstall Discord.
Hopefully that sorts it.

Found a couple of threads suggesting delete 'Discord' folder from localappdata and appdata (path shown in error) then reinstall Discord.
Hopefully that sorts it.

Could not find those folders quickly but ran RevoUninstaller in serious mode. Said "no uninstaller found" but I could do a Registry cleanup...WHAT a load of shit in there! That is seriously crap software.

I deleted everything in bold and did a reboot. Discord is gone, forever I hope. Won't do THAT again!

Dave.

From what I can gather it's more likely to be overly-aggresive AV software or something like that.
Discord is extremely popular voice/chat software used by 10s of millions daily.

From what I can gather it's more likely to be overly-aggresive AV software or something like that.
Discord is extremely popular voice/chat software used by 10s of millions daily.

I have only got Ms Defender for W10 I ditched the bloated junk that came with the laptop. That error box said something about Java? (never liked Java, always used to be updating and getting in the way with XP)

Meant to say it is a long time since I have uninstalled anything that left SO much junk in the Registry.

Dave.

Should help, if you want to pursue it.

Thanks but no thanks! I was only trying to help a punter, can do well without it. This W10 laptop has been mercifully free of problems since purchased last October. Couple of BSODs but all came back after a reboot. I would like to keep it that way.

Err? DISABLE virus protection from the Main Men to allow some badly written software finnagle its way in? Havin' a Giraffe.

Dave.

Back