SM58 replacement ? + mixing desk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
the overs will crack the mic pre so a software compressor is a late bolt on the stable door.

That's why you'd set preamp gain for your loudest the source will be but you're bang right - A mixer (or channel strip) with eq + comp is a great solution for streamers.
I don't think latency introduced by an eq or comp is going to make a noticeable difference but it's hard to beat a few controls on the way in. Nice and simple. :)

That's why I think linear faders are cooler than rotary channels, but after tastes and colors ahah.

So which one did I have on the blue bird sl? The low cut (the horizontal bar?) and on the yamaha it says high pass but I guess it's the same as the low cut if they're the same.
And the down curve on the left, what is the name please on the blue bird sl?

But yes, for streamers it must be really nice!
Apart from having a table especially to improve the microphone, it will also be very useful for the sounds (Music, discord ect. If we can).

So, ok, I'm going to go for yamaha even if I don't really appreciate rotary channels but a preference for faders.

If after that, I still have a "mediocre" quality with my microphone, I'll try the beta 58a with and without a mixer.

So with this mixer, it already has a sound card but I really need the foscurite to have even more "gain" or rather output ahah ?
On the other hand, if I had a cloudlifter, I could have "gotten rid" of the foscurite ? Is that it ? I hope I understand !

Thank you for your help ! :thumbs up::)

Last edited by a moderator:
So which one did I have on the blue bird sl? The low cut (the horizontal bar?) and on the yamaha it says high pass but I guess it's the same as the low cut if they're the same.
And the down curve on the left, what is the name please on the blue bird sl?
Horizontal bar is *no* cut. The "down curve" is the setting for the high-pass (low cut) filter.

bluebirdsw.jpg

Blue - Bluebird SL

Yes but NON! The mixer has a USB interface it is true (they all HAVE now and some are still noisy, 16 bit rubbish) but the functions you need do not, I am sure go through the USB feed.

You will NOT be using the Focusrite for extra gain because you will feed it with 'stereo' jack cables and that goes into the LINE inputs with far less gain. (you really want to setup a 'unity gain system' but let us Keep It Simple Sir for now?)
Yes, the 2i2 will largely be redundant but its converters will be better I am sure than the ones in the mixer (even if the USB routing allowed its use) and Waaay better than those in the PC.

Actually, what I am suggesting is just a part of what is inside a RodeCaster.

I shall try to find a signal flow block diagram of a USB mixer. Tricky because most makers have stopped publishing them, shame because Yamaha used to do the best ones!

Dave.

@keith.rogers

Thank you so much, I understand better now, thanks for the details! I had done my research and watched a lot of video to try to see if someone was going to say what it was left and right, but no, I hear the high pass every time, and even on the site, I didn't pay attention :cool:

@ecc83

1) So if I understood correctly, the sound card of the foscurite is much better than the sound card integrated in the mixer?

2) I'll have to plug the foscurite "just" for the sound card and not for the gain? The gain will be handled by the mixer?

3) On the other hand, I didn't understand about the jack cables, I'll have to get this? I don't really understand it at all, sorry.

Yes but NON! The mixer has a USB interface it is true (they all HAVE now and some are still noisy, 16 bit rubbish) but the functions you need do not, I am sure go through the USB feed.

You will NOT be using the Focusrite for extra gain because you will feed it with 'stereo' jack cables and that goes into the LINE inputs with far less gain. (you really want to setup a 'unity gain system' but let us Keep It Simple Sir for now?)
Yes, the 2i2 will largely be redundant but its converters will be better I am sure than the ones in the mixer (even if the USB routing allowed its use) and Waaay better than those in the PC.

Actually, what I am suggesting is just a part of what is inside a RodeCaster.

I shall try to find a signal flow block diagram of a USB mixer. Tricky because most makers have stopped publishing them, shame because Yamaha used to do the best ones!

Dave.
I actually have a Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB and tested it briefly. I can confirm the compressor knob does nothing when taking the output from the USB connection.

What the compressor does is a bit puzzling, because if you twist all the way right the output signal gets louder - I'm guessing it's raising both ratio and makeup gain. I actually had a hard time making the compressor light go on just using spoken word into an SM58, and I had the gain up around 3:00. I could hit it harder, but didn't actually test that to see how it would behave.

This mixer has been sitting here for a couple years and this is literally the first time I ever used it. (I should probably test the DSP compressor in the UR44C sometime.)

P.S. Just did a quick look at the dynamic range of the analog/main out through the UR44C, and I went through the mic/combo jack so possibly more preamp input there than the 1/4" jacks (no gain knob) on the back. There's definitely some compression going on because the dynamic range at 3 settings more or less matches what I thought I was hearing. With the compression full on, you probably have to dial back the mic gain a little bit because it was pretty shaved off at the top even though I was not seeing the compressor light, and a quick MP3 bounce had one peak over 0.0.

P.P.S. The audio does not sound the same from the 2 different paths. It could be the Behri USB is completely pre-everything, but I didn't test anything else, like Level, Pan, Low Cut or EQ.

Last edited:
@keith.rogers

Thank you so much, I understand better now, thanks for the details! I had done my research and watched a lot of video to try to see if someone was going to say what it was left and right, but no, I hear the high pass every time, and even on the site, I didn't pay attention :cool:

@ecc83

1) So if I understood correctly, the sound card of the foscurite is much better than the sound card integrated in the mixer?

2) I'll have to plug the foscurite "just" for the sound card and not for the gain? The gain will be handled by the mixer?

3) On the other hand, I didn't understand about the jack cables, I'll have to get this? I don't really understand it at all, sorry.

1) I would not say MUCH better but probably a little but the main issue is that I am sure the mixer will not send the signals, processed as you want them through to the USB converter.

2) I have attached a diagram I did for a soprano here who had similar problems. I hop you can follow it?

The mic (or mics) go into the first one or two mic inputs on the mixer. You then set gain, bass cut, compression etc in the mixer channel and you can monitor all this via headphones on the mixer. Levels will also be shown on the LED meters on the mixer and you can use the master output control to adjust this. Note, you won't want a lot! -10dB blipping to 0db (VU) will probably be enough.

The Main Outputs of the mixer are carried to the inputs of the 2i2 by two (yes, you need two even for ONE mic!) jack to jack cables. These cable need to be 'stereo' like you find on headphones but of the larger 6.5mm type. They are properly called "balanced Tip, Ring, Sleeve" cables. They can be almost as long as you like.

Settings on the interface: As said above, keep the level out of the mixer quite low. Advance the gain controls on the 2i2 and, for 'normal' recording you would aim for a signal around -20dB fs on the DAW. I understand you will need a bit higher than that for streaming but keep the gain of the 2i2 low, maybe even at minimum, because there will be plenty of drive available from the mixer and you do not want to clip the F'rites inputs.

Keep coming back if you still have questions. I am retired and have plenty of time.

Dave.

Attachments

• D's mixer setup.jpg
    D's mixer setup.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 8
I find it really complex and complicated to understand :(

I bother you, I'm sorry, but I still don't understand cable jacks.
I reassure you, you don't explain badly, I'm just incompetent or the translation is bad.

Would it be possible to make it simple please ahah?

Why the jack cables?
Because the microphone will be plugged in XLR on the mixing desk? And so to send the signal from the mixer to the soundboard or the opposite, I don't know, you have to plug in the jack cables? And thanks to that, the sound card will be better on the table?

All I understand is that the scarlett has a better sound card okay.

I saw that it was possible and clean to have just a mixer (like the yamaha you mentioned) with the SM58.
But it's true that I have a scarlett so I might as well take advantage of it and it will be better!

Speaking generally you need a microphone preamplifier and then analog to digital converter, to get microphone input into a computer.

All-in-one-interfaces have both of these built in and, often, also have inputs to let you bypass mic preamplifier, for plugging in 'louder' devices...keyboards, digital music players, etc.

With these interfaces, and mixers, XLR generally means microphone input and 1/4" plug generally means line-level input (or instrument level).
Generally microphone inputs have a gain knob where line inputs do not. (just for a clue...)

In your current set up the Focusrite serves as mic preamp and converter.

In a mixer-based setup the mixer would effectively replace mic preamp, but continue to use the focusrite converter.
For that reason we want to plug into a line-level input on the focusrite.

The path is microphone > XLR cable > Mixer mic input ---- Mixer line level output > 1/4" cable > focusrite line input.

If you choose a mixer which has eq and compression, this will give you the same set up as you had before but with that additional functionality in the analog domain.
I.E. your voice can be made to sound louder (decreased dynamic range) and clearer (careful eq) before it gets to the computer.

PS. I'm making heavy generalisations for simplicity here.
Always read labels + manuals for certainty. :)

Speaking generally you need a microphone preamplifier and then analog to digital converter, to get microphone input into a computer.

All-in-one-interfaces have both of these built in and, often, also have inputs to let you bypass mic preamplifier, for plugging in 'louder' devices...keyboards, digital music players, etc.

With these interfaces, and mixers, XLR generally means microphone input and 1/4" plug generally means line-level input (or instrument level).
Generally microphone inputs have a gain knob where line inputs do not. (just for a clue...)

In your current set up the Focusrite serves as mic preamp and converter.

In a mixer-based setup the mixer would effectively replace mic preamp, but continue to use the focusrite converter.
For that reason we want to plug into a line-level input on the focusrite.

The path is microphone > XLR cable > Mixer mic input ---- Mixer line level output > 1/4" cable > focusrite line input.

If you choose a mixer which has eq and compression, this will give you the same set up as you had before but with that additional functionality in the analog domain.
I.E. your voice can be made to sound louder (decreased dynamic range) and clearer (careful eq) before it gets to the computer.

PS. I'm making heavy generalisations for simplicity here.
Always read labels + manuals for certainty. :)

TISINO 6.35mm Jack TRS to TRS Stereo Cable, Heavy Duty: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

They ^ are the cables you need. Later I shall draw you a simpler diagram and see if I can put some French in it!

Dave.

Thank you for this detailed information.

So I'll see when the time comes :D
So thanks to all this, I'll have a very clean sound?
Can't wait to see if there's a big difference!
I'd really like the sound of the blue bird sl "flat setting".
Even if yes, there is only the high pass but it may be possible by making adjustments on the mixing desk.

I ordered the table and I ordered the link you sent me but on amazon france this one:

TISINO Cable TRS 6,35 mm, cable d'interconnexion Cordon d'alimentation Audio symetrique Jack 6,35 mm male a male: Amazon.fr: High-tech

It's quite possible with this sound mixer to control the discord volume, music, stream and a lot of other things, right? On more than one line?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite possible with this sound mixer to control the discord volume, music, stream and a lot of other things, right? On more than one line?

The setup would simply control the level of the signal before it enters the computer, just as your audio interface currently does,
but it would offer additional control (compression+eq).

That would allow you to make your voice less bassy/brighter, if you want, and to use limiting/compression to prevent distortion for sudden screams and shout,
thus allowing the average talking level to be louder.

Various software suites may have their own additional input level controls.
Discord, for example, has all sorts of noise reduction, echo cancellation, automatic gain control, etc.

When I use discord with my own eq+compression set up I turn its automatic gain control off, as I know I'm handling it myself.
Any software that has its own input level slider (OBS probably does) should probably be set to full. Unless described as 'gain' or 'boost' they're generally attenuators - Turning your signal down.

No no, I mean being able to turn down the sound of a music, turn down the sound on discord, turn down the sound of a game directly with the mixer?
I want a mixer for that first of all so that I have more ease to avoid making windows returns.

You see that for example ? https://i.gyazo.com/388d477b1d77b5a85ff05eb1b4ed7e82.png
Several vertical lines for each trick for the volume

Ah, ok. Well...If you're going down the mixer route then, yes, it makes more sense to have all of your sources go through the mixer.
That means you would have hands-on control over volume, eq, mute etc.

It would, however, mean you need an external device for your music.

Whether that's a phone/tablet, mp3 player, separate computer...
something with a headphone, or preferably line level, output that can be fed into channels 3+4 of your mixer.

Adjusting the balance of game audio and discord audio (voices you hear being audible on your stream?), however, would have to be done in the computer.
There are software suites which will recognise different sources within the computer and let you adjust them separately.
How that might work depends a lot on your OS and the software you're using.

This is why streamers quite often have multiple computers/tablets on the go - It can get complicated very quickly!

An external device? need to buy? WOW.... Might as well buy a goxlr at this pace lol

I don't have another PC and I want my music from my PC to go into my mixer and everything else too. Is that possible? Which cable should I buy?
For discord
For the game
For music

And that's all for now...
What would the software be?
I've seen that it's possible to have a software to set up the lines directly in this software. (while buying the cables of course)

I bought a table yes to fix the SM58's sound problem, but mostly to adjust the sounds as I specified in one of my first messages...
It would be really useful for the stream
What I didn't imagine, though, is that I was far from imagining all of this ahah.

Thank you!

I can have both the PC motherboard soundcard and USB interface enabled at the same time, although there are a few that say disable the onboard sound if using a USB interface. From the the audio line out of the PC (back connection) I can route this to an mixer input using a 3.5 mm TRS to 6.35mm cable to the stereo in of the mixer. This enables me to play mp3 into a mixer connected through to an interface to a DAW. May take some experimenting to get things setup, but should be doable.

Thank you!
You mean this?

TISINO Cable d'interconnexion stereo 6.35mm TS Mono vers 3.5mm TRS stereo (Mono vers stereo): Amazon.fr: High-tech

But that's not possible without the need for software?
I can't just put a youtube or spotify music and adjust the sound from the mixing desk by connecting the cable of course and setting all this with in the windows settings.

I'm sorry, once again I don't know anything about it, I find out and I try to keep it as simple as possible!
and I take note of everything you tell me.

We can even imagine I don't know, a box or something with a lot of connectors and simply connect them to the mixing desk and via a software to configure everything and say that it goes to discord the other one for the sound of the game, the other one for youtube for example. That would be so ideal

I can have both the PC motherboard soundcard and USB interface enabled at the same time, although there are a few that say disable the onboard sound if using a USB interface. From the the audio line out of the PC (back connection) I can route this to an mixer input using a 3.5 mm TRS to 6.35mm cable to the stereo in of the mixer. This enables me to play mp3 into a mixer connected through to an interface to a DAW. May take some experimenting to get things setup, but should be doable.

I thought of that Mark but we is having trouble getting mixer to interface! * Twicky, surely you have a phone? Even my ancient nokia 201 delivers quite passable sound quality from the headphone socket. My Sony 10 smartphone is even better.
You sort out the music you want on the PC and then zap it to the phone via Bluetooth or you can take the Micro SD card out of the phone, put it in a USB 'reader' and dump the music that way. If the phone does internet, email it to yourself.

Now, The Bad News!! You will need ANOTHER cable ("sacre bleu!" he say) This time 3.5mm stereo jack to two 6.5mm MONO jacks (another handy cable would be 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA phono plugs, 2 off)

You have to face it I think, this audio game IS complicated and hard for some people to get their head around (le tete) and you will end up with a serpents nest of cables. My son is a brilliant musician. Main instrument guitar (rock, jazz, classical) but is several handed and well versed in theory...but! He is always asking his old dad for help with electronic/audio concepts that I find second nature. By the way, I can no longer play guitar for toffee!

Going to get on with you diagram.

*finding it SO hard not to get all 'Allo Allo!' here! Like..."I shall say theece only once"

Oh! Anyone know why my phone make was asterisked out? Maybe 'oki a but starting with an N will work?

Dave.

Thank you!
You mean this?

TISINO Cable d'interconnexion stereo 6.35mm TS Mono vers 3.5mm TRS stereo (Mono vers stereo): Amazon.fr: High-tech

But that's not possible without the need for software?
I can't just put a youtube or spotify music and adjust the sound from the mixing desk by connecting the cable of course and setting all this with in the windows settings.

I'm sorry, once again I don't know anything about it, I find out and I try to keep it as simple as possible!
and I take note of everything you tell me.

We can even imagine I don't know, a box or something with a lot of connectors and simply connect them to the mixing desk and via a software to configure everything and say that it goes to discord the other one for the sound of the game, the other one for youtube for example. That would be so ideal

Couldn't find it on the French Amazon site.....
Amazon.com: Hosa CMP-159 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 10 Feet: Musical Instruments

Back