SM58 replacement ? + mixing desk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
60 years old? French is complicated, I find... both orally and especially in writing. When you compare English and French, There is no comparison, English is simpler and much prettier I find ahah.

When you say it's good, are you talking about my first parameters (first picture) or the last picture with the other parameter ?

60 years old? French is complicated, I find... both orally and especially in writing. When you compare English and French, There is no comparison, English is simpler and much prettier I find ahah.

When you say it's good, are you talking about my first parameters (first picture) or the last picture with the other parameter ?

What? Most non English speakers say English is one of THE hardest languages to learn because there are so many different words that means roughly the same thing and SO many ways to say things*I would not begin to know how to translate the phase "By and large" into French (hard to explain in English!)

Both of those takes are absolutely fine. IMHO you have achieved your goal.

*And that is without the mangling they give it over The Pond! (wish I could change my spell checker to 'English English"!

Dave.

Seriously???? We tend to say that English is simpler lol. Like what!
In French by and large, is said " Dans l'ensemble " OR in " En général ". En général, I prefer to eat an apple :laughings:
I recommend the DEEPL translator, it is incredible and better than google translation!

Both pictures are correct, but the first one is a bit strong as you said? I find the last recording, really incredible!
I also find that the quality is correct if you talk about the last picture (my last recording).

But the fatal question, according to you, is it better than the foscurite and my yamaha I got from what you heard?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Dave. The recordings are all clear, and the levels should be plenty strong for streaming/podcasting. The volume actually seemed fairly constant, which I think you want for that purpose. It also didn't sound overly deep or boomy, which I find sometimes makes things less intelligible. Listening to the newest samples, they are all clearer to me that the one in post 105 (July 19th).

I also agree with him on speaking French. I took it in high school, falled to test out when I went to college, so I had to take two more semesters. I realized that languages are not my forte. I can read a few words, and can often figure out the meaning of a phrase, but listening and speaking is impossible. As for having an accent, no problem there! I would say "your English is 100x better than my French".

Hello,

Yes, I also have the impression that it is much better than before and even much better!
I streamed with the configuration of the last recording, I don't like it at all. It's too much radio unfortunately. I don't know what to change to avoid that, I'll have to do some tests tomorrow. Or try the first recording I sent with the pictures, but I feel like there's something missing in the voice.

Hello,
Well I changed the configuration a little bit to avoid the radio voice.
What do you think about it? I made the effort to say a sentence in English ahah.

Thanks for your help ! a4986507f748d154747a9d0b0eb40b94.png

Attachments

• GOXLRR.mp3
    356.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello,
Well I changed the configuration a little bit to avoid the radio voice.
What do you think about it? I made the effort to say a sentence in English ahah.

Thanks for your help ! View attachment 106823

Sorry no! Don't like that, muffled compared to the two clips before. I was very happy with those and I don't know what you mean by a "Radio voice"? I have no trouble with voices on BBC R3 and R4 but find the 'intimate' style of Classic FM wooly and indistinct, even the gals have hairy chests! But then I AM clinically deaf, should not matter, clear speech is clear speech, it should not need mucking about with other than some dynamics control as in your case.

Final answer! Go back one and use that.

Dave.

Seriously, it's not so good, do you think?
Much more suffocated this one?
I'm going to put the other one back on and lower the 500hz so I don't get the radio voice then.
When I listen to the rerun on my stream, it really sounds like radio voice and it's horrible. I don't like it when it sounds like modified voice and it's not too natural.

And now it's better :) ?
I used the configuration of message #114
Which is much less radio than message #119

If there are small changes to be made according to you on the table, such as lowering the treble or others, do not hesitate!

Thank you ! :thumbs up:

Attachments

• XLR.mp3
    284.7 KB · Views: 6
Have you tried a tube mic or ribbon mic? Dynamic mics are generally bad for recording.

VERY sweeping generalization! Yes, I would go for a capacitor mic most of the time but one of the finest speech microphones is the Shure SM7b (if you have the pre amp for it) There is an Electrovoice model that has an equally large following.

Twicky!FFS Do not roll off any treble!! Most of the time you want LESS bass and MORE treble in a comm' setup. UNDERSTANDING is all.

And I STILL do not know what a "radio" voice is? Can you post a clip of what you consider it to be? Not you!

Dave.

I had tried the blue bird SL but I had a bad experience with it.
And I don't want to buy another mic, already that the GOXLR cost me a lot haha

Ok, I don't touch anything, just before continuing, do you prefer .wav or .mp3 for the audio ?

I'm going to record one end of my stream with the configuration message #114 and another end with the other configuration message #119 (radio voice).
When I say radio, that's what you usually hear when you listen to the radio. A deep voice with a lot of bass!

You've boosted quite a bit at 63 + 125. If it's too bassy just undo that.
I wouldn't bother copying eq settings from other people.

You learn less from that and there's little chance it's going to work well for you anyway as your voice and room are likely to be very different from the other guy's.

I totally agree. That's why I'm sending my file so that you can see through your software whether I'm correct or not. I didn't change the eq but rather the gate because I thought I was too weak in streaming. Here is a new record, still the one that Dave confirmed. I just modified the gate because I thought the stream was too weak. So I'm going to keep this configuration. I just feel like my voice isn't really clear. But you're the expert!

Thank you for all your help and patience since the beginning, I appreciate it! :thumbs up::D

Back