SM57 Microphone Sounding Muffled

silasglines

Hey guys, (first thread... pshhyeahh)

... I have a new SM57 that i'm trying to record electric guitar with. i saw some other thread on this, but it didn't help me much, if at all.

so here's my setup/issue... i'm plugging the SM57 into an el cheapo "Califone Presentation Pro PA-300" via XLR (says "Mic In Balanced"), with the Impedance on "low", then on the 1/4" "Line Out" jack i have a 1/4" to 3.5mm (headphone jack) adapter, and i have the 3.5mm wire going into the "Line In" port on my computer... i'm recording using Mixcraft 5.

it sounds HORRIBLE, on anything not just the amp, even when i pick it up and talk into it. it sounds extremely muffled... i'm trying to use the PA-300 thingy as a pre-amp...

any help?

I would look at the 3.5mm jack on the computer and the 2 cent sound card that is plugging into first up.

Alan

Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production.

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.

Here's a good guide and user-tested suggestions that work: The Best Audio Interfaces for your Home Studio by TweakHeadz Lab
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

k, so i got the Tascam US-122 USB interface, i have the SM57 going into that, obviously, Via XLR, but i don't know where to have the knobs for the best performance! it also has a "line out" port on the back (with two of the those inputs they have on TV's... sorry i don't know the names) so i have an adapter on that that (that makes it a female 3.5mm jack) and that goes into my computer.
i can record using that (with my sound card) or i can record it via the interface.

Problem: when i record using the interface there's A: a lag, and B: it feels the need to playback ALL the instruments that are already in the song, through it again. there's not much of a sound quality difference either when i'm playing through the sound card, or the interface... its just a different kind of crappy sound...

the knobs i have are: input volume and Line out on the interface... how loud should the recording softwares volume be?

and last... does anyone have an equivalent to Mixcraft 5 that they like better?

thanks!

The US-122 is supposed to plug into the computer via the USB cable, you don't use it as a mic pre then plug into a $1 sound card via the 3.5mm jack, the US-122 is a sound card. You will then be able to hear playback and record etc via the USB-122.

Why is it no one reads instruction manuals? they are available via down load from tascam if you have lost it.

Alan.

witzendoz;3601251Why is it no one reads instruction manuals? they are available via down load from tascam if you have lost it. Alan.[/QUOTE said:
NOWAY just bull right through it! :D

oh yeah... that would make sense... and it didn't come with an instruction manual, but thats no excuse for my stupidity, i'll download it and read it all.

Back