Simple. Your Favourite vocal mic.

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
What is your favourite vocal microphone?
Take into consideration value for money also.

Eck

Kind Of A Dumb Question..

How Can Yu Pick A Favorite Unless Yuve Tried Them All? I Mean For All Yu Know A Neumann Is The Highest Quality Mic Ever..Even Though Is Costs A Couple Thousand..

I Have The Shure KSM32/SL And Its Pretty Damn Good IMO

Strictt Ame said:
Kind Of A Dumb Question..

How Can Yu Pick A Favorite Unless Yuve Tried Them All? I Mean For All Yu Know A Neumann Is The Highest Quality Mic Ever..Even Though Is Costs A Couple Thousand..

I Have The Shure KSM32/SL And Its Pretty Damn Good IMO

Come on man, work on your caps and spelling. It really does get difficult to read sometimes. I agree though, this is as dumb as the last question the original poster posted. You're mainly just going to get whatever a particular person's go to mic is and MOST people don't have a massive mic locker. I love my GT57 but I'm sure I'd love a Pearlman much more.

I'm sticking with the Telefunken u47. I know of no better mic in that price range.

I can't really say a favorite because I haven't gone out and tested all the popular ones. But what I can say is that I own the Groove Tubes GE-55 and it has always worked for me for what I needed in vocals. Vocals have always been up front, warm and anything else. I actually recently recorded a song with three different mics on the singer for the same track. I used the gt55, an e945 (dynamic), and an oktava overhead mic. Obviously these mics aren't going to normally be used for studio applications on a vocalist but what I did was combined these three sounds together. What I got was an already heavily eq'd bright sound that could be suitable for certain applications. In the end I diteched the other two mics and kept the main condensor just because I like the warmth of the ge55 and the other two took that warmth away..

Anyways that mic was only 300 bucks when I got it, and now its a little cheapter. I think the 66 is also comparable in price but probably a brighter sound?

Maybe someday I'll buy another condensor for vocal purposes.

I just have a bunch of cheap mics around here. I tend to experiment with different signal chains for different songs, trying to find the right feel for the song. Probably my personal favorite vocal chain for my own voice was the Apex 460 (with GE NOS tube), SP VTB-1 preamp (no toob), and the FMR RNLA as an insert slamming it pretty hard. Wouldn't work for every song, but it was a really cool sound.

What's stupid about the question? Cummon people, what is YOUR favourite vocal mic? It's not exactly rocket science ... here, I'll show you:

For all round versatility and sounding great with every singer - Audio Technica AT4050

And for really good crisp vocals that sound good with most singers - Studio Project T3

Nik

noisedude said:
And for really good crisp vocals that sound good with most singers - Studio Project T3
Nik

...second that!...and for "not so crispy" vocals, the SM7/7B... ;)

For most voices my K2 without hesitation. For my own voice, I actually prefer the NT2-A. That's about it in a nutshell.....

noisedude said:
For all round versatility and sounding great with every singer - Audio Technica AT4050

Nik

I own and use two of each. The 4050 through a tube pre is pretty nice and the T3 is good on most high vocals. It has a bit of a problem with baritone vox but otherwise is nice.

If I just take the original post literally, I can say with authority that the best vocal mic is the most expensive one. That way I can sell it and buy the microphone that does the job.

I really think the mxl V67G does a good job, tried the Røde K2 Yesterday It was very nice.

But I supose my go to mic is Sm58, it allways get the job done for my personal use.

Back