Simple. Your Favourite vocal mic.

scrubs said:
I just have a bunch of cheap mics around here. I tend to experiment with different signal chains for different songs, trying to find the right feel for the song. Probably my personal favorite vocal chain for my own voice was the Apex 460.

As you should know the $200 Apex 460 is the same mic as the $1,400 Telefunken M16 (as shown here telefunken/apex) so your cheap mic is not really a cheap mic at all! or is it just that we are brained washed into thinking a Telefunken is really worth $1,200 more?? Oh, btw, I have the SAME MIC as your 460/M16 only branded by yet a different "company" and I only paid $150.00. It's an awsome mic and most would agree worth the $1,400 Telefunken sells it for. I'll take the $1,250 discount thank you very much!

EDAN said:
As you should know the $200 Apex 460 is the same mic as the $1,400 Telefunken M16 (as shown here telefunken/apex) so your cheap mic is not really a cheap mic at all! or is it just that we are brained washed into thinking a Telefunken is really worth $1,200 more?? Oh, btw, I have the SAME MIC as your 460/M16 only branded by yet a different "company" and I only paid $150.00. It's an awsome mic and most would agree worth the $1,400 Telefunken sells it for. I'll take the $1,250 discount thank you very much!

I had never seen that mic comparison. Very cool.

I have the Carvin CTM 100 that has been modded and it's a great mic. There are a few simple mods that take the mic to a different level in clarity. Anyway the CTM 100 (modded) is my favorite vocal mic lately it'll probably change next week.

EDAN said:

Yeah, I've seen that. I haven't done anything to mine other than swap the tube, but I like it for what it is. I wish it wasn't so noisy, though.

EDAN said:
As you should know the $200 Apex 460 is the same mic as the $1,400 Telefunken M16 ...It's an awsome mic and most would agree worth the $1,400 Telefunken sells it for.

...the original Tele M16 (model MK-I) started life the same as the Apex but received multiple upgrades (caps, tube, etc) which make it well worth the price of a modestly-modded $200 mic...hardly anything in the realm of $1400 :eek: ...thus Tele discontinued that version (justifiably so...the newer MK-II is totally redesigned rather simply modded):
http://www.telefunkenusa.com/products/show_product.php?item=9&cat=mics

...if modding an Apex 460 isn't your thing, check out this guy...he's been modding the 460 for some time now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-MATCHED-UPGRA...ryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Well, everyone's going to have a story now that they were exposed so to speak. Fact is they along with many other higher end mic makers make expensive mics that are no better than and in many cases the same as many of the cheap chinese mics we've all come to know.

I've always liked the Neumann TLM103
and the Shure SM57. But as someone said, an AK-47 can be great.

Thanks all.
What a hard choice to make without really getting to hear any of the mics.
But Im likeing the Studio Projects T3 Tube Multipattern Microphone.
Seems like it suits high voices. Our singer has a BIG vocal range im thinking this might suit his voice nicely.

Eck

Back