Simple mod and fix

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Just pulled the inner screen out of a MXL R144 ribbon microphone and repaired a Beyer M500 N (C) Silver edition ribbon microphone.
I'll test them out tomorrow and report back.

Man!!! I don't know how much longer I can do this type of work. My eyes are getting so bad. I could barely work with those tiny screws. :(

I look forward to hearing your evaluation of the R144 without the inner screen.

I'll be testing this afternoon BR.

I look forward to hearing what you really dismantled! :p

Just kidding Henry. How was the mic before? You gonna post clips?

Come to find out I was dismantling a tin of tuna! :eek:

The R144 wasn't all that bad before. I had used it on guitar cabs and it did the trick. It's just out of pure boredom and the need to experiment.

I'll have nothing to post a before and after with this microphone -- all I'll be able to do is say *sounds better* or *don't even think of doing this to your microphone*.

Well gotta say the MXL R144 now has a different quality to it.

It seems more open than before. Not to say that it was cloudy before I removed the inner screen. I just like the way that I'm hearing it's transduction now for sure! Especially on voice. ;)

And the Beyer M500 N (C) Silver edition ribbon microphone is back in full swing with minor repairs.

Well gotta say the MXL R144 now has a different quality to it.

It seems more open than before. Not to say that it was cloudy before I removed the inner screen. I just like the way that I'm hearing it's transduction now for sure! Especially on voice. ;)

That's a little vague.
Would you say that this newfound quality means that you will be using the R144 more frequently than you did previously?

That's a little vague.
Would you say that this newfound quality means that you will be using the R144 more frequently than you did previously?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm............. maybe, but probably not. Same duties as before yet I'll be a wee bit happier with the finished product.
Won't be my go-to microphone for vocals. Though I am sure that it will have it's place in the studio notes with equipment used.

Back