Simple Drum Mic Set

Mach5

So I am looking to get some decent drum mics. Just a simple set-up. Kick, snare, and two overheads? I will be using some DMP-3 preamps. Anyone know of some good mic kits.. or just individual mics? My budget is about $400...

a pair of MXL603 or 993, $170, an SM57, $90, and a Beta 52, $190, is $450. Shop around for good prices, you might make it for $400.

shure has some good packs. i got three PG56's (toms and snare), two PG81's(overheads), and one PG52 (kick).

a company sells through ebay with clamps, case, and cables for just $300. the record very well. its worth the money and probably everything youll need.

i highly recommend this package because shure makes some good mics and these sounds great. im sure there are better ones out there but these are quality and inexpensive.

Of the cheaper "budget" drum packs, the Audix Fusion 6pk is pretty nice. Depending on what sales GC has going, you can get the 6piece set for 300 or so.

reshp1 said:
Of the cheaper "budget" drum packs, the Audix Fusion 6pk is pretty nice. Depending on what sales GC has going, you can get the 6piece set for 300 or so.

I agree, it's the only decent "drum pack" I've found in its price range, but if you look around you might even find better deals than that.

War :D

Mach5, you can do better in that price range with individual mics rather than kits that have cheapo shit SDC's for overheads. Budget LDC's do a much better job than budget SDC's on OH's.

I'd recommend....

Kick: Audio-Technia ATM25 - about $139ish
Snare: SM57 about $79ish each
OH's: pair of either Studio Projects B1's ($79 each) or Oktava MK319 ($59 each @ GC right now. )

We've tried a bunch of kits and the best one we ran into was the Red5 Audio RVK7+ Drum kit microphone set. The original RVK7 kit has RV4 SDC's for OH's. We weren't impressed with the RV4's at all. But the RV8 LDC's are killer on OH's. The RVD-1 is also a great kick drum mic. I suggested to Red5 that they make a new kit and include RV8's for OH's. They did and made the RVK7+ kit. That's a great kit and will stomp anything in its price range.

Back