Shure SM7b vs. EV RE20

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
I know you guys probably see enough of these questions to make you want to either yack or quit reading these altogether...............but.............which one of the two would be more suited to doing vocal work for a podcast? I've heard good things about the SM7b and I know some of the radio DJs here locally liked working with the RE20. I'm no DJ and I haven't worked with either. I just want something that sounds good and I won't regret later. Suggestions?

Yack? Not me, Spew maybe, hurl, blow chunks.... never yack! Talking the RE20, any singing, SM7.... Anything with small mammals...SM57

Okay, so talking to God on the big white phone, upchuck, etc.:D

Thanks for the info. It's strictly just speech, no singing whatsoever. Trust me, nobody would ever want to hear me or my buddy sing. That would be too painful.:eek: From what I've found, there is only about a $50 difference, the SM7b being cheaper.

If I was to choose between them I would pick the RE27. Has a much higher signal level than both so less gain is necessary in the preamp.
As for sound, I couldn't hear much of a differrence.

All of them would work just fine. What are you using for a preamp? The RE-27 does need less gain.

For right now, everything is running into my 424mkII. In the not too distant future I'm looking at getting a Mackie 1642Vlz or 1604Vlz. I don't have any stand alone pre-amps at the moment. Just getting started............

I have both. Both are nice, a slight edge to the RE-20 as it seems to thicken the voice a touch for talking as suggested earlier, but it's not a giant difference. The SM-7 however is nice because it comes with its own swivel clip and pop filter. Both are nice though.

Too expensive

Hi,

In my opinion both of these mics are too expensive for a podcasting setup. I did radio for years. At the studio they had Sennheisers. When I started doing my show at home I used an EV 664 which is really a PA mic not a broadcast mic. It worked great with my voice.

Don't get me wrong. I wish I had an RE20 and an SM7. And I would use them a lot. And if you can afford them more power to you.

But they are both overkill for podcasting. Many mics in the $50 - $100 range will work just as well.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hi,

In my opinion both of these mics are too expensive for a podcasting setup. I did radio for years. At the studio they had Sennheisers. When I started doing my show at home I used an EV 664 which is really a PA mic not a broadcast mic. It worked great with my voice.

Don't get me wrong. I wish I had an RE20 and an SM7. And I would use them a lot. And if you can afford them more power to you.

But they are both overkill for podcasting. Many mics in the $50 - $100 range will work just as well.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Right now I'm using a pair of AT ST95mkII and a Shure AXS-1. They do okay, but I'd like to have something better, eventually.

Mic choices.. hmmm really depends on the voice! The RE 20 sounds a bit fatter and the SM7B sounds a bit more up in your face. Stylistically you could say the Electro Voice sounds a bit more laid back/less aggressive and the Shure a bit more direct or confronting....

Back