Shure SM7b Handling noise?

Rookietapeguy

Just received a pair of brand new SM7b's and while waiting for my fetheads to arrive I decided to test them out straight into the mixer with gain practically at max. I purchased these for my podcast because of all the great reviews and because I see so many of my favorite shows use them. One issue right out of the gate is that they seem to not have any "isolation." They are advertised as having "air suspension" but when I even slightly touch the boom arm or mic to reposition it I can hear the hand. even if I bump the table its mounted to i hear it. When I use the low fq roll off it helps some but is still noticeable. Is this normal? I had Sm58's previously and even with no isolation/suspension they did better with hadeling noise. I see people handle them on shows all time and I typically dont hear anything. Like Joe Rogan for example.

Is this normal?

Air suspension? Not with the SM7'b without a suspension mic stand. You have one more purchase to make if you plan on moving these while recording.

SM7B Studio Microphone

From Shure's own site: "Virtually eliminates transmitted noise"? You don't have the cable too tight?
I have never owned one (LOVE to!) but it is odd that such a prestigious company as Shure would make such a claim were it not true. Is it possible the mics have been given an almighty bump and the capsules jammed in some way?

Dave.

Rookietapeguy,
What sort of distance do you have between the SM7b and your mouth when speaking normally? If too far away you'll need the gain cranked up which could make handling noise more evident. I have an SM7b that I can't say I handle it much when using it, but when I do I can't say it picks up much in the way of handling noise.
What are you using for a mixer?

It really sounds like a gain staging problem to me as well. You are supposed to speak/sing right into it. If you are talking more that 5-6 inches away, you will need a lot of gain.

Thank you guys for your input. I do agree with [MENTION=106439]cyrano[/MENTION] that its best to not move mics but we do an hour-long talk show and tend to move them just a bit as we change positions to stay comfortable. Maybe it's a bad habit we've developed but again even bumping the table produces the issue. I filmed a crude video to demonstrate the issue. I just ordred the materials to treat the room so the reflections are a little much. Not sure if were allowed to share links but here ya go
Best with headphones
YouTube

Equipment:
Behringer 1222USB
MDX4600 Dynamics Processor
2x Rode PSA 1's
2x Shure Sm7bs
(Waiting on Fetheads)

Last edited:
Are you normally using the MDX4600 compressor in the signal path? If so perhaps it's boosting what might not normally be heard.

"What Is Compression?
Compression is the process of lessening the dynamic range between the loudest and quietest parts of an audio signal. This is done by boosting the quieter signals and attenuating the louder signals.

The Beginner’s Guide to Compression

I have attached a spectrum of part of that video clip. There is a huge amount of energy below 100Hz, all rubbish you don't need. I put a HPF in Samplitude at around 120Hz and it eliminated virtually all the "thumps" I could hear in my AKG k92 cans.

I am wondering if engaging the bass cut on the mic is the best option? Allow the mic to boost AUDIO bass (and get close as everyone says!) then put a good 12dB/oct HPFilter or sharper in at 100Hz or so in the preamp chain. This is after all the principle of one form of noise cancelling microphone.

I would also suggest that many studios have a "cough key" to press when making "noises off"?

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrum 7b.png
    Spectrum 7b.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
I'd also suspect the impedance mismatch caused by the Fethead to add to the bass boost. Doesn't the Behringer Xenyx 2222 have enough gain for the SM7b?

I'd also suspect the impedance mismatch caused by the Fethead to add to the bass boost. Doesn't the Behringer Xenyx 2222 have enough gain for the SM7b?

I use a Fethead (22kohms) with my SM7b. No bass boost and tends to give the high end a bit more clarity. OP doesn't have the Fetheads yet.

From a Focusrite article......
"Impedance Setting Quick Guide
- In general, the following selections will yield these results:
High mic pre-amp impedance settings
- will generate more overall level
- will tend to make the low- and mid-frequency response of the microphone flatter
- will improve the high-frequency response of the microphone.
Low pre-amp impedance settings
- will reduce the microphone output level
- will tend to emphasise the low- and mid-frequency presence peaks and resonant points of the microphone"

Thanks, Mark. I wasn't really awake apparently when I posted that.

So the bass boost should come from the Behringer. Strange. It's been a while since I handled one and that one seemed to have the opposite. A lot of hiss and more high end at max. gain.

There is so much unnecessary low end in that signal. That is all I hear is poor eq of the input on the track. Roll that shit down. EQ 101 man.

I have attached a spectrum of part of that video clip. There is a huge amount of energy below 100Hz, all rubbish you don't need. I put a HPF in Samplitude at around 120Hz and it eliminated virtually all the "thumps" I could hear in my AKG k92 cans.

I am wondering if engaging the bass cut on the mic is the best option? Allow the mic to boost AUDIO bass (and get close as everyone says!) then put a good 12dB/oct HPFilter or sharper in at 100Hz or so in the preamp chain. This is after all the principle of one form of noise cancelling microphone.

I would also suggest that many studios have a "cough key" to press when making "noises off"?

Dave.

No idea what a "cough key" is, but for fucking sure that low end needs to be cut out.

No idea what a "cough key" is, but for fucking sure that low end needs to be cut out.

A cough key is a mic mute that the speaker can "push to mute" while he or she coughs! Thus not scaring the **** out of the producer and punters. Seems an eminently good idea for people who feel they must Jodrell about with a mic or drum on a table? (you would be out the door P D effing Q if you did that at the Beeb!)

Cyrano: Yes, that Berry mixer SAYS it has 60dB of gain and mic pres with noise suspiciously close to breaking the laws of physics! Should not need a booster. The desk also has an 18dB/8ve HPF at 75Hz..JUST what the doctor ordered!

Dave.

Back