Shure SM7B - Do I need it?

p_wats

Hey guys,

A used Shure SM7B has come up locally for a good price and I'm trying to decide if I need one (used one in a studio last winter and liked it a lot). Here's what we've got so far:

SM58
SM57
AT3035
AKG C1000s
Apex 210 Ribbon
Apex 460 Tube
A few old bullet/dirt mics

I don't have any fancy preamps or anything yet (looking to upgrade from a Presonus Bluetube DP), but my Zoom R24 has done well by us so far...

What do you think?

Can't really answer that other than to say I love mine.

What would you use for? What mics would it replace?

If you're planning on building up an arsenal, just go for it.

Having an Sm7b handy is never ever a bad thing.

Thanks for the reply. I figure that none of those I listed are that great in terms of vocal mics, but we do well with them. That said, the SM7B sounded great on my wife's vocals in the studio, so it would probably be great for that...

The guy already has someone else interested (no surprise considering it's a few hundred cheaper than retail), but there's still hope (and I'll still look for one regardless of this deal).

I would just buy one, nice, versatile vocal mic and spend the rest on other stuff. Like, in your case, maybe a pre amp. Do you think this could be your one, nice, versatile vocal mic ?

I would just buy one, nice, versatile vocal mic and spend the rest on other stuff. Like, in your case, maybe a pre amp. Do you think this could be your one, nice, versatile vocal mic ?

I was hoping it could be our go-to vocal mic, for sure. I know it sounds great on my wife/bandmate's voice and have heard nothing but good things.

In terms of a preamp, I was thinking of something like Pre73 or maybe the FMR RNP. Do you guys have any suggestions of something in that price-range?

I would say that if you want to build a serious studio setting, the SM7 is almost mandatory.

That said, I haven't got one (yet), either.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the SM7b and mics like it (re20, re320) take more gain than others for vox! How much gain can your preamps crank out?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the SM7b and mics like it (re20, re320) take more gain than others for vox! How much gain can your preamps crank out?

The pres on the R24 are usually fine, but I brought in the Bluetube DP to use with my Apex 210 ribbon mic and it does fine.

Any pre you could recommend in the range of a Pre73, etc?

The pres on the R24 are usually fine, but I brought in the Bluetube DP to use with my Apex 210 ribbon mic and it does fine.

Any pre you could recommend in the range of a Pre73, etc?

I wish I could recommend something, but honestly I'm still using the pre's in my Tascam 1641. They barely get the job done on my re320, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm just a broke college student :D

The pre73 is a great preamp stock, one can get it modified if so desired. Look HERE.

Be sure and try to secure that 7b you'll ever regret it.

The pre73 is a great preamp stock, one can get it modified if so desired. Look HERE.

Be sure and try to secure that 7b you'll ever regret it.

Hmmm, interesting to hear it can be modded. I build pedals/amps and actually intended to mod the Bluetube DP (might still try it...probably not worth it though). I'll see if I can score a Pre73!

I wish I could recommend something, but honestly I'm still using the pre's in my Tascam 1641. They barely get the job done on my re320, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm just a broke college student :D

Yeah, I've also got an old Fostex 812 mixer that has some decent sounding pres (to my ear, at least). I suppose I could make out fine with that...but gear is too addictive.

Hmmm, interesting to hear it can be modded. I build pedals/amps and actually intended to mod the Bluetube DP (might still try it...probably not worth it though). I'll see if I can score a Pre73!

It's a great pre in it's stock form. Many people say that possibly the input tranny would be the best mod for the 73 and others say just leave it alone.

I've actually been really enjoying the cheap Apex 210 ribbon mic, but definitely want to try the mods on that. An SM7B has been on my list for a while now though...here's hoping!

Bah. Lost the SM7B. Have to give props to the seller for actually giving it to the person who emailed first (I've had things sold out from under me before even though we "had a deal").

They seem to pop up on eBay for around $300, so I'll keep looking.

Sex. Do I need it? *Need* is a grey-area word. We all *need* tools, but whether that means a stone knife or a space shuttle depends on what we *want* to do. Regarding SM7b (or for that matter Sennheiser MD441 or Electrovoice EV RE20), this is my spin on it- Is it good for everything? No. Is it good for something? Hell, yes. But this is the point- I'm building a studio and I want the best equipment in the world, state of the art. What will the best main vocal condenser mics in the world cost me? Answer- thousands. What about the best tube condensers? More thousands. The best ribbon mics? You guessed it. More thousands. Even given that the *best* all around mic of any of these types is a matter of opinion, just my first choice for those three could put me over $20,000. The best dynamics? I could buy the MD441, the RE20, *and* the SM7b for about $1000 used, or under $2000 brand new. A used SM7b- maybe $250. Where do I start? The answer is obvious. You can put up an SM7 and state with confidence that you have just put up one of the best dynamic mics in the world. If you are starting a mic locker, it's a no-brainer. When we get into condensers and ribbons, most of us have to settle for what we can afford in the real world. Many times, a top-of-the-line dynamic will do a job as well or better than the condensers we can afford. Sometimes, they are a better choice than even the best condensers. What's not to love?-Richie

Back