Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shure SM7B - Do I need it?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by p_wats View Post
    The pres on the R24 are usually fine, but I brought in the Bluetube DP to use with my Apex 210 ribbon mic and it does fine.

Any pre you could recommend in the range of a Pre73, etc?
    I wish I could recommend something, but honestly I'm still using the pre's in my Tascam 1641. They barely get the job done on my re320, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm just a broke college student

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    The pre73 is a great preamp stock, one can get it modified if so desired. Look HERE.

Be sure and try to secure that 7b you'll ever regret it.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    The pre73 is a great preamp stock, one can get it modified if so desired. Look HERE.

Be sure and try to secure that 7b you'll ever regret it.
    Hmmm, interesting to hear it can be modded. I build pedals/amps and actually intended to mod the Bluetube DP (might still try it...probably not worth it though). I'll see if I can score a Pre73!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitaristic View Post
    I wish I could recommend something, but honestly I'm still using the pre's in my Tascam 1641. They barely get the job done on my re320, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm just a broke college student
    Yeah, I've also got an old Fostex 812 mixer that has some decent sounding pres (to my ear, at least). I suppose I could make out fine with that...but gear is too addictive.

Thanks
    Hmmm, interesting to hear it can be modded. I build pedals/amps and actually intended to mod the Bluetube DP (might still try it...probably not worth it though). I'll see if I can score a Pre73!
    It's a great pre in it's stock form. Many people say that possibly the input tranny would be the best mod for the 73 and others say just leave it alone.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Yeah, I've also got an old Fostex 812 mixer that has some decent sounding pres (to my ear, at least). I suppose I could make out fine with that...but gear is too addictive.

Yeah tell me about it P.

Thanks
    I've actually been really enjoying the cheap Apex 210 ribbon mic, but definitely want to try the mods on that. An SM7B has been on my list for a while now though...here's hoping!

Thanks
    Bah. Lost the SM7B. Have to give props to the seller for actually giving it to the person who emailed first (I've had things sold out from under me before even though we "had a deal").

They seem to pop up on eBay for around $300, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks
    Sex. Do I need it? *Need* is a grey-area word. We all *need* tools, but whether that means a stone knife or a space shuttle depends on what we *want* to do. Regarding SM7b (or for that matter Sennheiser MD441 or Electrovoice EV RE20), this is my spin on it- Is it good for everything? No. Is it good for something? Hell, yes. But this is the point- I'm building a studio and I want the best equipment in the world, state of the art. What will the best main vocal condenser mics in the world cost me? Answer- thousands. What about the best tube condensers? More thousands. The best ribbon mics? You guessed it. More thousands. Even given that the *best* all around mic of any of these types is a matter of opinion, just my first choice for those three could put me over $20,000. The best dynamics? I could buy the MD441, the RE20, *and* the SM7b for about $1000 used, or under $2000 brand new. A used SM7b- maybe $250. Where do I start? The answer is obvious. You can put up an SM7 and state with confidence that you have just put up one of the best dynamic mics in the world. If you are starting a mic locker, it's a no-brainer. When we get into condensers and ribbons, most of us have to settle for what we can afford in the real world. Many times, a top-of-the-line dynamic will do a job as well or better than the condensers we can afford. Sometimes, they are a better choice than even the best condensers. What's not to love?-Richie

Thanks
    in your case, maybe a pre amp.this is my thought.

Thread Information