Shure SM7a VS Shure SM7b

davidguevara80

Always Online
I was reading that is a Great Mic but I am Confused ,what is the Difference between the A and The B?? Should i get both?

There is very little, if any, difference between them.

You most definately don't need to buy both. Stick with the SM7B

According to Mark Warren, (a Shure employee) upgrades were only made to the mount bracket, RF protection, and windscreen. This even includes the original SM7. All three mics have the same (unchanged) guts and should sound identical.

My advice would be to buy the latest revision and be happy.

I have 2 SM7s and an SM7b. The bracket is better on the B (as a result I may buy replacement brackets for my two SM7s). They sound the same.

however if you find an older one used at a good price don't hesitate to buy. i just got an SM7(no a or b) that had a broken connection assembly. the new parts are interchangeable with the old parts and only cost me 35 bucks. the difference is that the screw that connects the connection assembly to the yoke goes through the whole assembly and therefore doesn't have as much of a chance of breaking as on the old one.

total cost for my mic after buying the parts...$88 :D

however if you find an older one used at a good price don't hesitate to buy. i just got an SM7(no a or b) that had a broken connection assembly. the new parts are interchangeable with the old parts and only cost me 35 bucks. the difference is that the screw that connects the connection assembly to the yoke goes through the whole assembly and therefore doesn't have as much of a chance of breaking as on the old one.

total cost for my mic after buying the parts...$88 :D

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you can use new parts on older models -- so you can change out the yoke/bracket on older ones (often broken or they don't hold position very well) with the newer, better yoke/bracket.

Back