Shure SM58 or Sennheiser e835 for recording Vocals in my home studio

Ronit Ghosh

I am trying to decide between whether to buy the SM58 or e835 for recording the vocals in my home studio. I have a bass heavy voice, and I want my voice to remain that way in my recordings (so, don't want much coloring by the mic).
Mostly, I record with my acoustic guitar, and the music mostly remains acoustic (more like Boyce Avenue, if you know them).

So, which mic do you think, is best suited for my purposes?

They are both good mics. I've used both, though I have SM58s I use live, I don't get them out at home because I just have some better mics to work with. I played in a church for a few years and they had a bunch of e835 mics and they really sound good - I will say on higher voices (because that's what primarily used them) they might "cut through the mix" a little more than the 58, though the few times I got in front of one, they worked fine for me.

So, not a lot of help. But, I might go with the Sennheiser just because it's a little better on higher voices, in case someone else decides to add a track.

Whichever mic you get, I'd suggest you get a pop filter (round screen type - not a foam ball) for recording vocals so you control how close you get to any cardioid mic. This will keep you from getting too close and temper any mic's proximity effect, which on a bass voice might create more mix problems than it does enhance your voice (bari/bass here - IME/IMO, anyway).

Back