Shure SM57 or SM58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever i had to use a live vocal mic such as sm58 or ev457 there is this presence peak that doesn't work with distorted guitar. I'd go with the sm57 for micing an amp. I use a 58 with the ball off for snare. Don't know why i told you that but there it is hope it helped.

I use the SM57 to mic my amp and it works great. The SM58 is more suited for vocals.

I was down at the music store the other day talking to the guys about microphones. All the salespeople agreed that there are better microphones than the Shures in the $100 range. One dude said that many people stick with the SM57 & SM58 for the same reason that you'd go to McDonalds while on a road trip. They're familiar, have been around for quite a while, and you know what to expect.

Off hand I don't remember which microphones they were recommending (they DO sell Shure microphones along with the others). Anyone care to comment? All I know is that that I like my SM57 since its the only mic I've used :)

Slackmaster 2000

Im told that the SM57 and 58 are the same mic but for the ball. The ball holding the pop filter for vocals. Since hopefully, your guitar doesn't have a ssssibilant s, you don't really need the ball but it really doesn't make much difference. Anyone know any different?

I'd be really interested to know what those other dynamic mics in the $100 range were. The only ones I've come across and with my eyes and what others have said are those live mics by CAD; though I've never even heard any CAD myself. Of course, I've never really looked into replacing my 57s, and I don't plan to; though my mind is always open if anyone cares to shed some light.

When I was shopping for a mic in January for guitar and general recording live use this is what I went through.

SM57: but wait the Sm58 is the same mic with a better handle and a ball for vocals.
SM58: I'll get this one Salesman "naw, the 8 is ok but the Audio Technica 41-HE is better. Here try themm both out. They are the same price.

I tried them both out and the ATM 41-HE is definately better than the SM58. I use it to mic the guitar amp, and the classical guiar, for distance micing, and for vocals.

Only later did someone mention that the sm57 and sm58 may not be identically electrically.
But I'm not sure about that.
Perhaps the sm58 is the sm57 with a pop filter and protective cage, plus and easier to hold handle, and therefore $10 more. Maybe, maybe not.

If I'm not mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the Shure 58s and 57s are the same electronicly, but the grill and windscreen give a presence boost at I think around 3k. Most people don't like this boost for miking electric guitar amps, but I wonder why they don't use 58s on snares more often than 57s considering we all like to boost around 3k on the snare for a little more presence and clarity.

there are various samson mics in the 100 buck range that are supposedly comparable or better than the sm5x. not sure about this myself.

57 v 58

The windscreen on the 58 has an affect on the eq curve, so even though they are basically the same mic, the 57 is the classic workhorse for recording electric guitars and the 58 is more suited to vocals.

sorry to bring this back up again.

Can I now clarify, with the instructions that are included with the 57 and 58, that the frequency response is exactly the same. Now, if you were to take the ball of the sm58 and place the mic in an identical position as you would a 57, on ANY instrument for that matter, you would get the same sound, give or take that every mic is not EXACTLY the same, i.e. 2 x 57's made on exactly the same day could sound ever so slightly different. Now, some say the grill left on a 57 would make a difference compared to a 58 without the ball, I say complete rot. The difference with having the grill on a 57 and not on a 58 would only effect protection to the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back