Shure SM57 issue

Ridgewoodwoody

I have just bought a Shure SM57 to use in home recording. I have it connected to a PreSonus Audiobox USB and use Garageband. Despite what tweaks I make to recording levels or which of the two inputs I use my voice is very, very faint even though the mic is only an inch or two from my mouth. I would be grateful for any advice.

Assuming you've ruled out problems with the mic or cable by trying other, known working ones and obtained the same results, or verified the ones you have on someone else's interface or a PA perhaps, and ruling out a Windows audio setting level problem (Control Panel), the Presonus is spec'd at a pretty measly gain range of 0 to +35dBU. That's going to be pushing a big rock uphill with that SM57 (-56dBV sensitivity).

But, make sure it's not the cable, mic, or something weird in the system settings (assuming Windows, which I cannot help with).

Yes, I’ve tried a different cable and my other mic - a Samson SAC01 - works really well. I use an Apple iMac.
Well, the Samson sensitivity is -33, so you've got +23dBV difference right there, and that's well within the Presonus' gain range, so that Samson should work.

I mean, it could be a defective 57, but googling around I see older posts of folks having the same problem. You need an interface that can supply more gain (+50dBV or more) to be happy with that mic in the usage you have. Maybe in front of a guitar cabinet it would work, but probably not on an average voice. (It's why people buy CloudLifters for the SM7b.)

My SWAG anyway.

Back