Shure SM57 to Behringer Mic800 to Maudio Audiophile 192

inac

I'm trying to connect a Shure SM57 microphone to computer. I have Shure SM57 XL2 to TS connected to Behringer Mic800, and TS (unbalanced) to 1/4" line-in connected to a splitter to both L &R the line-in on the Audiophile 192.

I can't seem to receive a signal using the setup.

Using just my computer's built-in soundcard, I receive a very faint signal from Shure SM57 to Behringer Mic 800 to built-in soundcard...

Does anyone have experience with the Audiophile - anything I need to tweak in it to receive the signal? (The manual explains what everything is, but doesn't include a troubleshooting section..)

I'm trying to connect a Shure SM57 microphone to computer. I have Shure SM57 XL2 to TS connected to Behringer Mic800, and TS (unbalanced) to 1/4" line-in connected to a splitter to both L &R the line-in on the Audiophile 192.

I can't seem to receive a signal using the setup.

Using just my computer's built-in soundcard, I receive a very faint signal from Shure SM57 to Behringer Mic 800 to built-in soundcard...

Does anyone have experience with the Audiophile - anything I need to tweak in it to receive the signal? (The manual explains what everything is, but doesn't include a troubleshooting section..)

So are you plugging the microphone into a line-in on the mic800 or is it going into a mic pre-amp?

inac,
I don't know why this other fellow doesn't seem to be reading any of your original post. As I understand, you're using an adapter cable (XLR->1/4") between the 57 and the Behri, then running the Behri's output through a Y-cable to the Audiophile soundcard.

You might be losing some signal strength in the XLR-1/4" cable, but it shouldn't be enough to cause that much of an issue. A simple XLR-XLR cable would be better, as the mic preamp on the Behri is really looking for a balanced signal out of the mic.

Is the Behri registering a good signal? What is the VU meter showing on the Behri?

Beyond that, using a Y-cable into the Audiophile wouldn't be my choice either. The 57 is mono and would typically be recorded that way. Just run the analog output of the Behri to a single input on the Audiophile and pan the track center. The splitter/Y-cable could be further deteriorating the signal strength.

Kinetic, yes that's right. I've recently found that the Behri actually only has an XLR input for mic, and the TRS input is line-in... that might explain for the weak signal(?). I only have a XLR to TRS line currently.

The Audiophile doesn't have a single input option though, other than spdif input.
audiophile_192.jpg

inac,
I did a little research at the Behri site. According to their specs, it appears that the line option on the Mic800 is getting about 10-12dB less gain than the main mic input. Max gain on the mic input is +60dB, which is more than plenty for your SM57. That's why I wondered if you were getting a good signal even with the line input. Either way, $10 at your local shop on an XLR-XLR cable can solve that.

A "single" input would simply be a left channel of your stereo pair. Once you have the audio fed into your recording software, you can adjust the pan there (so you're not just hearing it in one side). The splitter is decreasing the strength of the signal between the Behri and the soundcard. If you're getting a healthy level on the VU of the Behri, then the splitter is likely the culprit. If not, then it's likely the mic cable.

I've connected the mic to preamp using a new xlr2xlr cable. I then used the trs to 2-splitter to connect to both line in's on the audiophile 192. The signal records (although more strongly with the mono input -- why doesn't the audiophile have just a single input?)!

Thank you for your help :-)

I then used the trs to 2-splitter to connect to both line in's on the audiophile 192. The signal records (although more strongly with the mono input -- why doesn't the audiophile have just a single input?)!
OK, there's your problem. A "TRS-to-2" cable is actually set up as an insert. Of the "2," one is getting the tip signal, the other the ring signal.

You want to use either a TRS-TRS or TS-TS cable from the Behri's output into the input of either left or right on the soundcard, but not both.

Hmm, ok, so why are there two TRS/TS-sized input on the audiophile 192 if only one should be used?

I found that the signal is about actually the same once I turn the input gain dial all the way right - with or without the splitter, rather loud and clear and static-free.

The signal seems received only thru the left channel even if it's put through a splitter.

Is there a way to pan in real time to balance the signal from both channels, instead of in postwork?

Back