Shure PG81 For Live Acoustic Guitar. Opinions?

DigitalDon

Got a friend who does a 2 man gig. He plays acoustic and the other guy does vocals. He's looking for a mic for his acoustic in the $100 range. Currently looking at the Shure PG81 (can't afford the real 81). We're not talking absolute perfection here, just a reasonable acoustic sound. I know the PG81 is a condensor and powered by battery or phantom. He also doesn't want the mic crowding him too much. That's why I'm looking at the PG81 (condensor vs dynamic). He would plug into house sound and would also like the option of plugging into his amp instead (maybe through an ART TubeMP I would let him borrow). I've searched the BBS but haven't really seen what I'm looking for. Anyone used this mic in this application? Recommendations on other mics? Thanks.

DD

If the gig is a low-volume coffee-house type thing, I'd say MXL603 - I've used mine live for acoustic and piano with great success in low volume situations. But (and it's a big one) the pickup pattern is quite wide, so they will be prone to feedback. These are nice mics, and for relatively few bucks. Close-micing only.

If it's a louder thing, I don't really have enough experience to advise.

Good luck,
Steve

Thanks Steve. Their gigs are normally in a small club setting where the sound (and noise) level can get a little high. I had looked at the 603 but decided against it for that reason.

I used to use a shure BG 4.0, a similar mic with phantom/or battery power for this very purpose. I do have an SM81, but have not heard the PG81, my guess is it would work pretty well.

DigitalDon said:
Thanks Steve. Their gigs are normally in a small club setting where the sound (and noise) level can get a little high. I had looked at the 603 but decided against it for that reason.

Well then, your going to have the same problem with all the SDC and LDC mic's then.......... try a dynamic mic like a Shure SM57.

Or, even better, a Beyerdynamic M201. It has a superior high end response (due to a lighter voice coil) in comparison to the SM57. It's a little more expensive than the Shure mic but, having tried it on my own acoustic, I'd say it was worth the extra moolah.

Note. That lighter voice coil does equate to a lower level of signal output; so make sure you use a good pre-amp.

SM57

Borrow an SM57 from someone and try it. You may not like the sound but it's highly respected for that application.

Try and do the same for any other suggested mic. You may find out you do not like the sound of those either.

Back