SHURE PG27/PG81 Combo VS. MXL 990/991

JohnZag

Is the Shure PG27 a good condenser mic? I always hear about SP-B1 and AUdio Technica and stuff.. but never even heard the PG27 mentioned.

I also know that an SM81 is somewhat of a go-to for acoustic.. how does the PG81 compare?

Some people say it's the same and others don't.
I live in a small town so I can't try them out.

The MXL 990/991 package sucks in comparison doesn't it? I've heard raves about it, but I did get the chance to try them out last christmas and the sound was super dull.
Would the Shure's be the same way?

Its a cut rate mic that is cheaply made so they can sell it for cheap...you are better off just sticking with full line AT and shure mics used that are arround the same price.

I've used both the SM81 and the PG81. I'm not personally a fan of either for most purposes. They both sound a little harsh, have poor to no off axis response, and generally lack bottom (or maybe it's just that the top end is exaggerated, hard to say). The PG81 has a permanent low end roll-off that compounds this; on the SM81, it's switchable. The PG81 has hotter output. They otherwise sound very similar.

What are you trying to record? Depending on your answer, there are a lot of other mics that I'd tend to recommend before any of the mics you listed. :)

Back