Shure or AKG

dan

Quick question for yas. Shure KSM32SL or AKG C4000. Were looking at mostly vocal and maybe a little bit of acoustic instrument micing (actually probably all vocal but just in case). Or is there anything in the same range much much better.

The AKG C4000B is an awesome mic. I use one in my studio and I am very pleased with it. I have A/B this mic against a CAD 300 and a Rode NT2 and it out performed both mics. If you are looking for a sensitive mic, this is the one.

Ive been reading alot of the posts on the mics in this range and it seems that in general theres no one mic everyone loves. The most common are the C1000-4000, the AT4033, NT1 & 2, and one person really loves Oktavia. Im sure all these mics have thier givin sound that fits in certain recordings great and not as well in others.

Ive heard of owning lots of mics like having different colors to paint with. What do yous see as the colors or qualities of each kind?

You're right about colors.

The thing with me is that I already have a matched-pair of 103s which have a high-end emphasize on them; like many of the other mics mentioned; 4033, NT-2, etc.

The thing is, I've never had a problem with getting much high-end. In fact, I've had a problem with toneing down the high-end without it sounding EQed. The Oktava MC319 doesn't boost the high-end. Actually it sounds "dark".

I'm telling you though, the M1 ($350) on the MC012 preamp body ($125) is the one that gets my vote for the best large diaphragm fixed cardioid condenser under $500US, regardless... I have no doubt you'd all agree.

Hey Recording Engineer,

I dont think this is anywhere near the first time ive heard you say the exact same thing about the M1 deal. You must really love it or your working for em.

Anyway would a good tube preamp and EQ help to warm up the high end sound from these mics alot?

I've only mentioned it maybe two other times and over the past day or so. And yes, it blew everything out of the water in my opinion under $500US and will do the same compared to other mics twice its price.

Also, anyone who participates regularly on this BBS knows I'm not working for any audio equipment manufactuer.

And yes, a GOOD tube pre, compressor, or EQ (although I'd rather not use EQ too much) will soften the high-end. But remember, a Neve 1272 a (Class-A transitorized pre) will beat a lot of tube pres out there in "warmth".

Dont take it personel RE I was just kidding about the advertising.

Anyway I havnt seen too much on Oktavia. I dont think that brand is real big in any of the stores around here. Do they have a website I can check out?

Oh I don't take much personal anyway. I did not know you were kidding considering you're not a regular; maybe you are, you're status may not be as correct as it says. If you know what I mean.

Or in stores around anywhere. But I wouldn't buy one from any place but The Sound Room anyway. www.oktava.com

Make sure you check-out their site thouroghly? It's not too big anyway. If you're curious in the least bit, give Taylor Johnson a call. I swear you'll really think he's a great guy and you'll know he's not bullshiting you. Not you're average salesman dick.

Ryan- this thread is 5 years old. The options and opinions have changed dramatically in that time. The original posters are all in a nursing home now.-Richie

Back