shure 585SA unisphere opening

Aleksei77

Hello i have this mic with me a old shure 585SA unisphere A

unisphere-a-dynamic-mic-585sa-microphone-shure-bros-inc-35543662.jpg

so im trying to open it and change the internal wires to a more superior quality wires to make little improovement

i opened it and removed the screw from outside of the mic looked inside and the switch on off still seems to be attached to the inside of the microphone by some glue rubbered-foam, im thinking to use a plier to push the switch out but im kind of worry about doint that, also is there more thing inside the mic like small tranformers or something? im afraid after removing the switch i cannot remove the transformer, i know in the bottom of the mic there a soldering but its easily removable. thanks for any help.

i opened it and removed the screw from outside of the mic

Hi,
I think you'd need to remove both screws to remove the switch assembly.
If there's any glue holding it you should then be able to break that seal by pushing the switch in, gently, from the outside.

What they said, though ^^.
Unless the wiring is damaged somehow, replacing it isn't going to make any difference to the microphone.

To be honest, that mic was never a patch on the 565 so the slightly dull and tiny sound is quite normal. Normally mics are dull OR tinny but that mic managed both!

im afraid after removing the switch i cannot remove the transformer.

If there's a transformer in there it's probably set in glue and tricky to remove.
Really, I'm not sure there'd be any reason to remove it unless it was broken.

I guess if I had to I'd remove all plastics then heat up the outer metal barrel and hope that the mass of glue softens up enough to slide out?
Never done it...Just thinking out loud.

It was some kind of epoxy I think. I had a 515 that was high impedance and I tried to prise out the transformer and wrecked it. The potting compound was hard and brittle. The important thing here is to reinforce the advice that NOTHING inside, bar that transformer has ANY impact on quality. Changing an inch or two of cable does absolutely nothing at all to this mic, or indeed, any mic!

I did some tests with focusrite interface on youtube

/watch?v=rVSCJK8BBcw

/watch?v=cDl9TVkdq-A

---------- Update ----------

thanks i will leave it that way

Yup. Works well and sounds OK.
Different enough to the 57 to be worth having, as an alternative, but not so different that head-scratching is required. :)
I'm all for DIY (if you don't take it apart you never really own it) but I think this one's best left alone. ;)

I bought 2 off these new (we my parents did) back in 1972 Ish, I had a recording setup of a TEAC A360 cassette and the 2 mics. I recorded a lot of direct to stereo recordings of bands and the recording quality was brilliant for the time. Still own them but a little beaten up now because of using them as vocal mics in my early bands. They were the bee Knees of mics before the SM58.

Alan

This mic has some history, the previous owner was Omar Izar a famous harmionica player from Brazil he was also very friend of toots thielemans, here videoclip of him : /watch?v=brM2swRphU8

these probablity this mic was used by Elis Regina and Toots Thielemans

Back