Should I Wait?

roktapus

I'd really love to have a Neumann u87 mic.
That said, it may be some time before I can get one. Right now I'm using a $300 Groove Tube Mic.
I'm thinking of either getting a Rhodes NTK-1 or a Neumann TLM-103 since they are within my price range, I could get them without having to wait.
I'm similarly undecided about whether I should get a Grace model 101 Preamp or wait until I can afford an Avalon 737 VT or maybe a Universal Audio.
Any advice?
I record mostly hip hop and some R&B, I do run a studio for a business so my clients work and the ability to pull in new clients is also what I'm considering. People have been pretty happy with what they have, but thats cause they don't really know better, so I really want to get the official upgrade.

Thats a tuff one as you know what you are after..an you know what your clients expect.Some know what a U87 is some don't!With me..I've had just one look down on me because I didn't have a 87.. I guess hooking them up thru a Vipre or a GreatRiver and 4060 ect. wasn't "cool" enough..However when I bust out the R84 :)Its a tuff question..Most of the time if you get good sounds for them they are happy!As for the Grace 101{I have a pair} is a little too foward/hard sounding for{vocals}my taste YMMV..Prehaps you could rent for the picky ones and charge them for ituntill you find what you "need"..Good luck :)

It's a shame when prospective clients care more about what you "have' vs. what YOU can do.

IMHO you'd be smart to get some other great lesser priced microphones first, like the EV RE20 and/or Shure SM7. It also seems the EV RE16 is getting discontinued so this may be close to "last call" for a new one with a warranty.

All can be terrific on this kind of material, and (personally) will kill a U87ai
on my voice FWIW.

Add the Studio Projects T3 (multi-pattern) to your LDC shortlist too.

Check out posts, like Richie Monroe's, about the new Joe Meek Twin Q on this BBS. I've only tried out the pre on it, and it sounded comparable to a Grace when A/B'd IMHO.

Chris

If you want the Neumann badge, do yourself a favor and pick up the TLM193. It's a very smooth mic that would excel at voice.

The TLM103 isn't bad, but I'd find the 193 more useful on more sources with a nice top to it. The 103 is pretty pronounced.

War

Warhead said:
If you want the Neumann badge, do yourself a favor and pick up the TLM193. It's a very smooth mic that would excel at voice.

The TLM103 isn't bad, but I'd find the 193 more useful on more sources with a nice top to it. The 103 is pretty pronounced.

War
yeah but its all about the U87 man! maybe its just me but out of the 20+ bands I've met, only 3 bands knew of the U87 and told me it didnt work on they're singers' voice

Last edited:
The U87 is / was an industry standard, but in these digital days and analog tape falling by the wayside...well...these times they are a changin'.

War

I'm pretty intrigued by the EV RE20 Mic suggested, the reviews are great and it is apparently pretty popular and cheap.
Is it general consensus that it sounds better or at least competetive with a U87?
Granted its all subjective, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if the mics are comparable since the price is not.
I think the 737 or similar unit seems pretty non-negotiable however, theres not too much comparison between that and cheaper units.

roktapus said:
I'm pretty intrigued by the EV RE20 Mic suggested, the reviews are great and it is apparently pretty popular and cheap.
Is it general consensus that it sounds better or at least competetive with a U87?

You're not comparing apples to apples ... but in terms of overall quality and sound, as well as things like popularity, versatility and historical significance, I'd say it's very competitive with the U-87.

rok, although I respect the 737 highly, to dismiss other options is unwise IMHO.

Tony Visconti, for example, is tracking his latest record on a (less expensive) Toft unit, and he can use anything he wants to. It's the carpenter, not the tools, if you know what I mean. He also has a 737 in his rack for direct comparison BTW.

A cool thing about the RE20 is that with less experienced singers, they don't have to focus on mic technique near as much-very forgiving. Same goes for the RE15/16.

If you have a good sounding room though, another option would be an LDC in omni pattern for those with "challenged" mic skills.

Chris

If you know what you want... get it.

roktapus said:
I'd really love to have a Neumann u87 mic.
That said, it may be some time before I can get one. Right now I'm using a $300 Groove Tube Mic.
I'm thinking of either getting a Rhodes NTK-1 or a Neumann TLM-103 since they are within my price range, I could get them without having to wait.
I'm similarly undecided about whether I should get a Grace model 101 Preamp or wait until I can afford an Avalon 737 VT or maybe a Universal Audio.
Any advice?
I record mostly hip hop and some R&B, I do run a studio for a business so my clients work and the ability to pull in new clients is also what I'm considering. People have been pretty happy with what they have, but thats cause they don't really know better, so I really want to get the official upgrade.
Dude... never settle for less than what you really want. If you know what you want... get it. :)

Yes, and go pick up a Ferrari for me while you're at it! Regardless of budget...

War :p (picking on Don...)

Warhead said:
Yes, and go pick up a Ferrari for me while you're at it! Regardless of budget...

War :p (picking on Don...)
Hi bro.... I'll drive it for you too... lol. :p :D :)

...well...these times they are a changin'.

War[/QUOTE]

Wow, first the Bond thing and now this. What a Renaissance Man!!!!!!!!

Back