Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Should I Buy a USB Microphone?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Regarding your list, I'd probably put the Blue Yeti Pro as number one because, as it has built in monitoring, it avoids a lot of those problems which can be frustrating.

I'd probably put the Rode NT above their podcaster.

However, unless you have a really good reason to go USB, I'd put a very basic mic and separate audio interface ahead of any of them if you want a future proof set up.
    Last edited by Bobbsy; 10-27-2017 at 06:33.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    Regarding your list, I'd probably put the Blue Yeti Pro as number one because, as it has built in monitoring, it avoids a lot of those problems which can be frustrating.

I'd probably put the Rode NT above their podcaster.

However, unless you have a really good reason to go NT, I'd put a very basic mic and separate audio interface ahead of any of them if you want a future proof set up.
    +1 The problem is, the noob, home recordist sees USB mics as a cheap and easy 'in' to music recording. They ARE cheap but not easy to use. See, the noob has not thought thru/been shown 'The Process' .

Many usb mics are also technically 'challenged' and do not deliver good quality, ok for close talking podcasts perhaps but with a 16bit converter and poor integration into most common recording software they are next to useless for say, acoustic guitar and any form of track building.

Dave.

Thanks
    Yes, sure why not USB Microphone. I use them as my game streaming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIrwin View Post
    Yes, sure why not USB Microphone. I use them as my game streaming.
    Err? I just said "why not" and as I also said, ok for close talking when great sound quality is not important.

Dave.

Thanks
    It may be an old thread, but as a newbie I have learnt a lot from this post.

Thanks
    I had a little USB Microphone which was more than enough for my Youtube Channel but now since I need more quality and control, I purchased a new robust microphone. Basically if you are okay with the USB microphone, just use it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanchrist007 View Post
    I had a little USB Microphone which was more than enough for my Youtube Channel but now since I need more quality and control, I purchased a new robust microphone. Basically if you are okay with the USB microphone, just use it.
    And "control" is the vital word. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with USB microphone. The quality of its capsule, analogue pre amp and converter can be AS good as any conventional microphone/AI combination. SHOOT! Apogee make a USB mic and I am sure its noise, headroom and distortion are as beyond reproach as all the other kit they make? No, is is that loss of control that is key. You cannot place mic and source and adjust gain for optimum results.

The other factor that "newbs" always seem ignorant about is the "arse end" of the recording chain? The D/A converter, line output circuits and headphone monitoring. Yes, a few USB mics give you some of that but at a cost and never, AFAIK with the flexibility of an interface. Thus, with a basic USB mic the tyro is dependent upon the computer's soundcard and headphone circuits. Not usually that great.

Dave.

Thread Information