Should I Buy a USB Microphone?

Regarding your list, I'd probably put the Blue Yeti Pro as number one because, as it has built in monitoring, it avoids a lot of those problems which can be frustrating.

I'd probably put the Rode NT above their podcaster.

However, unless you have a really good reason to go USB, I'd put a very basic mic and separate audio interface ahead of any of them if you want a future proof set up.

Last edited:
Regarding your list, I'd probably put the Blue Yeti Pro as number one because, as it has built in monitoring, it avoids a lot of those problems which can be frustrating.

I'd probably put the Rode NT above their podcaster.

However, unless you have a really good reason to go NT, I'd put a very basic mic and separate audio interface ahead of any of them if you want a future proof set up.

+1 The problem is, the noob, home recordist sees USB mics as a cheap and easy 'in' to music recording. They ARE cheap but not easy to use. See, the noob has not thought thru/been shown 'The Process' .

Many usb mics are also technically 'challenged' and do not deliver good quality, ok for close talking podcasts perhaps but with a 16bit converter and poor integration into most common recording software they are next to useless for say, acoustic guitar and any form of track building.

Dave.

I had a little USB Microphone which was more than enough for my Youtube Channel but now since I need more quality and control, I purchased a new robust microphone. Basically if you are okay with the USB microphone, just use it. Check this source: as a reference to the above answer.

Last edited:
I had a little USB Microphone which was more than enough for my Youtube Channel but now since I need more quality and control, I purchased a new robust microphone. Basically if you are okay with the USB microphone, just use it.

And "control" is the vital word. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with USB microphone. The quality of its capsule, analogue pre amp and converter can be AS good as any conventional microphone/AI combination. SHOOT! Apogee make a USB mic and I am sure its noise, headroom and distortion are as beyond reproach as all the other kit they make? No, is is that loss of control that is key. You cannot place mic and source and adjust gain for optimum results.

The other factor that "newbs" always seem ignorant about is the "arse end" of the recording chain? The D/A converter, line output circuits and headphone monitoring. Yes, a few USB mics give you some of that but at a cost and never, AFAIK with the flexibility of an interface. Thus, with a basic USB mic the tyro is dependent upon the computer's soundcard and headphone circuits. Not usually that great.

Dave.

USB mic found a home in the podcasting community. I record a radio broadcast talk show with XLR mics and a recorder and transfer the file to a PC. But I do have a YETI USB mic to easily add a few comments, etc., without getting out the whole recording rig.

Ok I just saw this post I know it's an old post but maybe this can help someone else in the future who wants to buy a used mic. There's nothing wrong with buying a used microphone just make sure u ask the owner has this mic been in a non- smoke zone hopefully he is honest if so dont buy it because the smoke can ruin the sound specially if it's a Condenser Mic.

Thanks a lot. I'm a 100% newbie and have some questions, but I know from other forums that reading a few posts often answers some of these and saves people who know stuff from repeating themselves. Couldn't have asked for more from the first post I read! Really clear and useful.

I've always used USB mics, but have lately started getting static/background noise when recording with them (they're both Audio Technica's) and was advised to switch to an XLR-interface. Would that guarantee that there's no more background noise?

I've always used USB mics, but have lately started getting static/background noise when recording with them (they're both Audio Technica's) and was advised to switch to an XLR-interface. Would that guarantee that there's no more background noise?

No, it would not. Please post a clip of the noise as soon as you can (an HQ 320k MP3 is the most handy for me) "Static" is an all embracing term that tells me little about the nature of the noise and whether it is RFI being picked up or a mains borne interference there is no guarantee an interface will be any more immune. Since two microphones are affected there is little chance of them both being faulty.

All that said, many people 'graduate' from USB mics to conventional types with an interface because they find the USB devices becoame limiting for their purpose. Please give some details of the type of recording you do and ven more importantly, what you might aspire to do in the future.

Dave.

Just an hour ago I found something worked with a USB mic that I did not think should.

I was talking to my son in France and I was wearin a headset that works into a W10 laptop via a TEKNET USB dongle. This works fine except son cannot hear anything oing on in my room such as me playing a bass guitar badly. I then plugged in my Cirtonics USB LDC mic and 'Bazinga!' He got both me and the bass very cleanly.

To give a short, general answer to the original question...Yes, get a USB mic, very handy for a quick, scratch recording. Good for general 'podding' (though a heaset and a NC mic is better). Not so good for 'quality' recording where control is needed.

Dave.

It’s 2021 and I just read it all. Excellent help for me, a complete noob starting out.
I just finished reading it just now and saw your comment. I'm like you I guess, I found it extremely interesting and informative.

Very little has changed. There are now some quite nice mics that have USB outputs for convenience. The snag really is that there is nothing wrong with USB mics apart from the fact that without huge amounts of faff, it's mic in the singular, and I'd bet that we all were happy with one mic, until we needed two.

In fact, modern recording 'rules' - the ones invented by the younger folk who watch YouTube videos to learn everything in life get told that you cannot record an acoustic guitar without two mics - and practically everyone at some point wants more than one mic. Oh, and long cables. USB can't do long cables which again, is a thin g that suddenly pops up in your recording career.

Originally I was thinking of a second USB mic, one of the USB condensers someone mentioned. I already have a Samson USB dynamic mic, but after reading up on the subject right here, I realize that I would be better suited with a traditional condenser mic. I have a new Focusrite 4i4 coming with 48v phantom power capability, and so I could use one of the XLR cables I already have with the condenser mic. But my Samson USB mic has worked very well going direct to the computer. Now that the Focusrite interface will be where I connect to the computer, I am excited to try a condenser mic and try vocals with that. Regarding the Samson USB mic, how would I use it with the interface I mentioned, connect it into the XLR on the front? Or straight into the computer via USB as I have already done?

Originally I was thinking of a second USB mic, one of the USB condensers someone mentioned. I already have a Samson USB dynamic mic, but after reading up on the subject right here, I realize that I would be better suited with a traditional condenser mic. I have a new Focusrite 4i4 coming with 48v phantom power capability, and so I could use one of the XLR cables I already have with the condenser mic. But my Samson USB mic has worked very well going direct to the computer. Now that the Focusrite interface will be where I connect to the computer, I am excited to try a condenser mic and try vocals with that. Regarding the Samson USB mic, how would I use it with the interface I mentioned, connect it into the XLR on the front? Or straight into the computer via USB as I have already done?
For several reasons Eric, decent USB interfaces like the 4i4 use 'ASIO' drivers. These only allow one audio device (but as many inputs as said device has) Thus no, you will not be able to use your USB mic and the interface and conventional microphone. I don't think. However, if you use a different driver, 'mme' or 'WASAPI' it might be possible but then it might depend on how your DAW is configured.

The above applies to Windows. Macs do differently.

Dave.

For several reasons Eric, decent USB interfaces like the 4i4 use 'ASIO' drivers. These only allow one audio device (but as many inputs as said device has) Thus no, you will not be able to use your USB mic and the interface and conventional microphone. I don't think. However, if you use a different driver, 'mme' or 'WASAPI' it might be possible but then it might depend on how your DAW is configured.

The above applies to Windows. Macs do differently.

Dave.
What if I used the USB dynamic mic by itself in the 4i4 using just one of the XLR inputs?

Back