Setting Up Yeti Pro with XLR

AudioNewb

I have a Sound Blaster AE-9 sound card that came with an amp that has a single XLR input (I'm guessing this is because it only supports mono???) and a new Yeti Pro (see pic). Two issues - I'm not sure if it matters which white/red connection I plug into this. I'm also not sure where to find an extension because the cables that came with Yeti are too short.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• asdf.jpg
    asdf.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
1 It's a Y cable that comes out of the Yeti, so it doesn't matter whether you use white or red.

2 You need and XLR male to XLR female cable.

3 But you don't need any cables at all. You can go from Yeti to PC via its USB cable.

Thanks. I was thinking XLR would have a higher quality than USB, the Pro has this extra option. Could I get a stereo preamp and utilize both Y cables - Would there be a difference if I did it this way?

Thanks. I was thinking XLR would have a higher quality than USB, the Pro has this extra option. Could I get a stereo preamp and utilize both Y cables - Would there be a difference if I did it this way?

If red and white actually represented left and right, you could you use a stereo preamp, but that still needs an analog to digital converter to get into your PC. The SB card does this, but it would need to have a stereo line in. Otherwise you would need an audio interface with two line inputs. This would go into PC via USB, and you would bypass the SB card. However, being a Y cable, the red and white appear to have the same signal. And in any case, it wold not make much of a difference if recording voice.

In the end, quality is not determined by the mode of getting the signal into the PC, either by XLR or USB, but by the quality of the converters in the SB card or in the Yeti.

If you can''t easily get hold of XLR cables, just go via USB.

Back