Setting up Bluetooth microphone with tv/sound bar

airyellis

Hi,
I hope it's ok to post this. I've been looking online all day and have found no help.

I bought a wireless Bluetooth microphone set on eBay. I asked the seller before I bought it if it would work with a TV connected to a sound bar and they said yes.

It's a brand new Sony TV and sound bar, the sound bar has no aux input, it's connected via HDMI to the tv. I went into the settings of the tv and paired the mics, it paired, but nothing happened.

Anyone have any idea of what to do? I'm trying to use it for karaoke

It's this
UHF Dual Channel Wireless Handheld Microphone Set, Easy-to-Use Karaoke NEW 691039987792 | eBay

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

You lost the plot when you bought it, and then you want to connect it to a sound bar that also is a problem. What kind of sound bar has no aux input? Or do you mean you are using the aux input to make it play the sound from the TV? The mix set is pretty horrible, to be fair, but you have two choices, use it to send the audio to your phone, use the app to mix in the voice with the music then use a cable to the soundbar which might work if you free up the audio input. or you buy a mixer and plug that into the soundbar's audio input and then take the TV sound, the karaoke player sound and the hard wired audio outs from the mic receiver.

Your real problem is a simple one. The soundbar needs an input. If it really does not have one, then you are stuck. The mics, while cheap and nasty, will work with a cable - but TWO mics means TWO inputs needed. The phone app might mix these for you, so then a single cable between phone and soundbar may work.

It all hinges on the soundbar. I've never seen one without an input - how would they make any noise on a TV with no HDMI out?

In truth we're not at all the kind of forum for this - we deal with recording with as decent kit as people can get. Home Karaoke is not really our thing, but we try to help. Tell us the soundbar model - that could help.

If EVER there was a post that needed a list of make and model numbers, THIS has to be it!

I have had about 6 FSTVs over the years, present incumbent is a 42" SMART (ish!) JVC and I have never had one that had an HDMI OUTput.

My JVC does have an optical digital sound out and that feeds a surround sound DVD player (but I only use centre, L/R and sub atmo). This gives me much better sound quality but buggers lip sync! That does not bother me much because I rely greatly on subtitles for dialogue which is in any case usually masked by music,fx or mumbled anyway. Much of the time I am listening to R3 as now.

So, even if OP got the mics paired with the telly I reckon the latency would be crippling.

BTW if TV DOES have HDMI out you can buy an HDMI "sniffer". Got one, this has HDMI "thru" ports and outputs two analogue channels on RCA. I would bet you can also buy an analogue to HDMI converter. The TV must have annyloggy audio out if only on SCART?

Dave.

My JVC does have an optical digital sound out and that feeds a surround sound DVD player (but I only use centre, L/R and sub atmo). This gives me much better sound quality but buggers lip sync! That does not bother me much because I rely greatly on subtitles for dialogue which is in any case usually masked by music,fx or mumbled anyway. Much of the time I am listening to R3 as now.

So, even if OP got the mics paired with the telly I reckon the latency would be crippling.

Dave - you and I must be the only ones who are bothered by the latency issue with a set up like that, I only find it annoying when watching the occasional music video DVD.

A bit of latency is good for feedback, mind! Digital wireless mics have a few milliseconds, and you get more gain before feedback.

I would assume a TV would only have Bluetooth *out* capability, e.g., for sending to a set of headphones. If OP wants to have sound from the karaoke video track that the TV is displaying (from the internet/DVD or?) mixed with another source, that might be a stretch for many consumer TVs.

Our Samsung soundbar does accept Bluetooth input - it's the family room "stereo" these days, with input from the iPad. But the soundbar has to pick from just one input source. (The relatively ancient TV connects via an optical cable, and there's some kind of latency adjustment I've had to tinker with for that, IIRC, though whether it's on the TV or soundbar I don't recall at the moment.)

Dave - you and I must be the only ones who are bothered by the latency issue with a set up like that, I only find it annoying when watching the occasional music video DVD.

As I said, it doesn't really bother me because I am not looking. There is of course a difference between lip sync and latency though both are due to a delay. I guess, since TV comes in as digital sound, the S/PDIF optical ouput is PRE analogue? If so they must delay the video to keep sync with normall TV sound...Or, compensation is done at source? Don't fekkin know jack these days (but I know a man who does!)

I would think trying to sing along with a programme with BTh latency would be very hard to do and hilarious to watch?

I HAVE found out that the very latest FSTVs have adjustable sync.

Just FYI. I have found out that optical out from a TV will be about 40mS in ADVANCE of the picture and so I would assume an HDMI ARC output would be the same. The advance of course gives the possiblity of inserting a digital delay and getting things bob on.
But, Blue Tooth will always have latency.

Dave.

Last edited:
Back