Sennheisers.. evolution

goldfish

What do you guys think of them?
much improved upon old designs, or just a repackaged version?

Your thoughts, if you will :)

I picked up an e835s a wee bit ago, and put it through its paces just last night. I put it up against an SM58, and it was much brighter, though maybe a bit hyped in the upper mids. Afterwards, though, the 58 sounded muffled by comparison.

Chris

Our e845 is very sibillant on female vox. Hyped upper mids. She says she has to work it hard, like an SM58.

I like them

Tried one, bought 6 at work. Everything sounds better. We took them to a blues jam, switched out the SM 58's(including 2 Beta's). The sound system owner liked enough he bought a set. He no longer uses the 58's for any vocals unless he runs out of the Senny's. In a perfomance setting they fit a wider variety of voices and you can get much more gain before feedback. I find they have more transparent sound than the SM58--although they might not be as hardy.

i FAR prefer the senn e835 to an sm58 for vocals. it's richer and more pleasing on my voice and on the voice of our lead guitarist.

i also like then better on my snare and most clean amps than sm57's.

needless to say, i've found myself reaching for an 835 for any place i previously would've used a 57/58.

for really hard rock amps, though, i still like the shure 545 (pre-sm57). it's a little grittier and i find that it tends to bring out the chunk a little better. whereas the e835 is a little nicer for the clean sounds. although, neither is as nice sounding as my SP B1--especially on smaller wattage tube amps.

so yeah, i've got 2x e835's, 2x sm58s and 3x 545's....and i don't use the 58's unless i have to.

wade

I kinda "Grew up" with sennys, the older versions though, and when i was FORCED to use SM58s i was not a happy bunny. They're alright for vocals i suppose, they do have a certain sound to them, but for anything else i would far prefer a sennheiser any day. I wanted to have an opinion of the new range to see what the rest of the world thinks of them before i went and borrowed one.

Plus i had a pair of HD-25s which have been as faithful as a labrador to me, oh i love those headphones! I think ive got a bad case of "Brand Loyalty" :p

I love the Sennheisser e series.
I own an e835 and two of the e604's. I'm a drummer and I use the e604 as a snare mic.It's very similar in sound to my SM57 but with a stronger signal,it's much smaller and "keeps out of my way" better. I find no similarities between the e835 and the SM58 except maybe for size and a sort of similarity in outward appearrance although the 835 is a much more compact mic and it has a flatter top to the grill. The 835 is a MUCH brighter mic than the SM58 and I get a much stronger signal from it also. I find that I use the 835 when I want a higher freq mic to use on hi-hat or snare with brushes. I don't have to crank up the pres as much and I get a real nice crisp signal that's not harsh. I might be afraid of using it on a vocalist with a high voice that had problems with his/her "S's" although I haven't yet, so I don't know.
It also works well on violin (my ex-wife is a fiddler and I used it to record her), so I'm thinking it might also be a good mandolin mic. As with any mic, it's great as a vocal mic if you have a voice that sounds well through it.
I tend to think of SM57's and SM58's the same way I think about spare tires. They're fine and they'll get you were you need to go when you don't have any better.

Back