Sennheiser MD 421 on sale (PSA)

yeah ...mk III ..lol why not skip that and go to the IV?

Shure will have some explanation for its versions like SM7...SM7b....but I havent read what the II is or III will be?

damn good price for a well proven mic. I just got a compressor and got to resist the GAS...

I had one once , it came with a cool large TASCAM mixing console in a rolling 19" rack...with the TASCAM 238 cassette unit...all in one package.
I was upgrading from the 4-track cassette world.

And the 421 sounded really crisp and nice with that thing...of course back then I didnt really know what a mic was or a mixing board really....EQ and faders! It preceded the 688 Midi unit......long ago at SPEIR music Dallas, ....421

its normally $379 ..so $199 is serious price cut.

Wow, I've never seen a sale like this on the MD421. Thanks for the heads-up!

I really like these mics, but I've always thought that they were way overpriced for what they are. But for $200 it's a no-brainer! They're a workhorse mic around the studio that work well on all sorts of sources. I've got two, but at this price it's even cheaper than the one that I bought used. I might have to grab another, just because :)

I see that MF no longer shows them in stock. I wonder if all these places will get re-stocked and sell whatever comes in at the same price?

B&H also shows back-ordered with Nov 2 availability.

Pro Audio Star is silent on status but will take your money :). Worth a call I suppose if you want to be sure, or get in line for a back-order at your favorite spot and see what happens in November.

As is, I have more mics than I can use, and have reduced my dynamics down to a couple ancient SM58s and one SM57, for the day I have folks over and do some recording into the F8n again. (Sticking with condensers in my little music room.)

I pulled the trigger on one from Musician's Friend, just to see what happens. There was no stipulation about "while supplies last" like there was at Sweetwater, and my invoice shows the $199 price. So I guess I'll see what gets charged to my card when it eventually ships, and if it's anything but $199 I guess I'll just cancel the order.

Update, nearly 4 months later. My MD-421 is still on backorder. But the order is still alive, and I expect that I'll actually received this damned thing eventually.

I've called Musician's Friend a couple of times, but the customer support people are pretty much powerless to do anything. They can at least quote an expected shipping date from the manufacturer, but that's about it.

I was particularly irritated last week, because the mic shows as in stock on their website, and on the Guitar Center website. When I called, they basically said they had only 1 in stock, and since mine was backordered it couldn't be fulfilled from their current stock. I call BS on that one, but I'll wait. Someday I'll have my full compliment of 3 MD-421 mics.

Supposedly, the expected ship date is Jan 26. I guess I'll see what happens on Tuesday...

Update, nearly 4 months later. My MD-421 is still on backorder. But the order is still alive, and I expect that I'll actually received this damned thing eventually.

I've called Musician's Friend a couple of times, but the customer support people are pretty much powerless to do anything. They can at least quote an expected shipping date from the manufacturer, but that's about it.

I was particularly irritated last week, because the mic shows as in stock on their website, and on the Guitar Center website. When I called, they basically said they had only 1 in stock, and since mine was backordered it couldn't be fulfilled from their current stock. I call BS on that one, but I'll wait. Someday I'll have my full compliment of 3 MD-421 mics.

Supposedly, the expected ship date is Jan 26. I guess I'll see what happens on Tuesday...
GC did that "on backorder" thing to me when they mistakenly (apparently) priced a Blues Cube amp below their cost. They did actually run out fulfilling orders, but then I noticed that folks were getting them at MF, which at the time was still pretending to be a different company, though clearly they (and a couple other web fronts) were shipping out of the same back end. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Roland (US) complaining :) - a week or so went by when someone from there called me and said, "Yeah, they have them in stock." My amp arrived 3 days later, and I got a nice letter with a small package of Boss/Roland bling, to boot.

It may not have hurt that at the time I had a pedalboard with a good selection of Boss pedals and another Cube amp to list as being a good customer, but you could start by writing (actual letter is better) to some customer relations folks in both corporations. No guarantees, but better odds than venting here. (I also got a $700 Honda credit by writing to their US boss when a dealer jerked us around after we lost a CR-V in Hurricane Harvey - $100 for each Honda I'd ever owned, including motorcycles. Cost me a stamp and a little printer ink.)

GC did that "on backorder" thing to me when they mistakenly (apparently) priced a Blues Cube amp below their cost. They did actually run out fulfilling orders, but then I noticed that folks were getting them at MF, which at the time was still pretending to be a different company, though clearly they (and a couple other web fronts) were shipping out of the same back end. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Roland (US) complaining :) - a week or so went by when someone from there called me and said, "Yeah, they have them in stock." My amp arrived 3 days later, and I got a nice letter with a small package of Boss/Roland bling, to boot.

It may not have hurt that at the time I had a pedalboard with a good selection of Boss pedals and another Cube amp to list as being a good customer, but you could start by writing (actual letter is better) to some customer relations folks in both corporations. No guarantees, but better odds than venting here. (I also got a $700 Honda credit by writing to their US boss when a dealer jerked us around after we lost a CR-V in Hurricane Harvey - $100 for each Honda I'd ever owned, including motorcycles. Cost me a stamp and a little printer ink.)

That's awesome that you went straight to the Roland USA CEO. Bold move :) And hey, you got a bag of swag out of it!

Fortunately it didn't come to that this time. I just got the shipping notice last night, and the mic will arrive tomorrow! Yay! It only took 4 full months. I guess that's what happens when a desirable mic goes on a worldwide sale for 45% off while the world's logistics are all crippled by a pandemic.

You will love the 421.It lets so much bass through compared to a SM57 or 58. Try pairing it with a senn 609.

Another popular dynamic that is competitively priced is the RE20. A few locations put the RE320 on sale every now and again for $189. The RE320 is different, people concur it is not great, except for the kick.

RE320 is a china made, a LDD Humbucking monster that looks like the capitol records building.

The RE20 is made in the USA and is flatter. It looks expensive in the special shock mount. Like some apparatus. I demo'd it on spoken voice and i put it on my list.

Anybody like the RE20 or 320?

Last edited:
The RE320 didn't wow me when I tried it, but it's a good mic in the right use, or with someone that it doesn't really matter what mic they are using.

I posted a video in Prime Time about Gear & Gas which nobody watched or they took it personally - not that I care - anyway, the singer who is the one talking in the "interview" sings right after that is using an RE320. He sounds phenomenal.

Never tried an RE20 or SM7b. I realized I don't need another dynamic mic for what little bit of recording I do.

P.S. (edit) Just realized I had a cover where I used that RE320 for both guitar and vox. I had a terrible chest cold, but someone that has heard my regular voice suggested I keep the cold...
The Guitar (Guy Clark Cover) by Keith.Rogers | Keith Rogers | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
I was listening to some comparisons of dynamic mics, and my preference would be for the RE20 over the 320 but I could use either, with a bit of EQ. The 320 just sounds a bit peaky to me. Its been years since I've touched an RE20 but I've always like its sound, and haven't ever used a 320.

Its similar to the situation of the new Shure MV7 vs the SM7B. The MV7 sounds more like an SM58 than an SM7B to me.

As for the Cory Wong video, I like the vintage camera the most!

I was listening to some comparisons of dynamic mics, and my preference would be for the RE20 over the 320 but I could use either, with a bit of EQ. The 320 just sounds a bit peaky to me. Its been years since I've touched an RE20 but I've always like its sound, and haven't ever used a 320.

Its similar to the situation of the new Shure MV7 vs the SM7B. The MV7 sounds more like an SM58 than an SM7B to me.

As for the Cory Wong video, I like the vintage camera the most!
Ha. Yeah, the vintage camera was funny.

Even with the clogged sinuses, the 320 did my sibilance no favors, and I probably did some cleanup in that recording - did not go back to see (if I still have the project - probably not). Guitar was a "meh" I thought, but, again, for some folks, it is fine or even a good addition. I remember that it is darn *heavy*...

Back