Sennheiser 421 -- S&M?

Tizzo

Gunslinger
I have seen the 421 in every studio I have worked in and have yet to figure out what the S and the M labels on the 421's 5 position switch mean. I checked out Sennheiser's website and all they say is that it is a 5 position bass roll off. I've also seen this same switch on the 441. I have been told that it means speech and musical but with out certainty. Does anyone have a clue what each position does and what the S and the M refer to?

S stands for "Sucks", cause that's what it sounds like in that position, compared to the M position, which stands for "Mmmmmm!"

speech and music

paddyponchero said:
Speech and Music or probably Sprach und Musik
basically a roll off @ 500Hz for Speech

So if the roll off for speech is at 500 Hz does that mean the point of roll off gets progressively lower as you move toward music?

Either the roll off point gets lower or (more likely) the roll off is less drastic. You end up with the same effect.

BTW. I have never used the roll off on a 421 ever. (I have tried it, but I haven't found a use for it.)

sorry, couldn't resist

S&M= sadomasochism (It is a German mic after all... :D )

But according to Steve Martin:
"Spaniards and Mexicans" (from the Get Small album). :D

A few words about the MD421 and Proximity effect

You hafta remember that the MD421 was first introduced as a vocal mic. It, like many other unidirectional mics, is subject to proximity effect as the person moves closer to the mic. In simple terms, you get bass buildup as you get closer. The roll off compensates for speakers at various distances from the mic.

If you take those roll off curves and invert them (put them above the flat "M" line), that's how much bass is being added at various distances from the mic. For miking guitars, bass, and drums, the added bass boost is welcome. For singers, it may be too much bass boost when they get in really close, hence the rolloff switch.

Harvey Gerst said:
.....If you take those roll off curves and invert them (put them above the flat "M" line), that's how much bass is being added at various distances from the mic. For miking guitars, bass, and drums, the added bass boost is welcome. For singers, it may be too much bass boost when they get in really close, hence the rolloff switch.

That makes since. Thanks, Harvey!

Joel

Back