Seeking Opinion: Beyerdynamic TGV50d or SE V7

So, I'm kinda getting the itch to try a newer mic.
I own an old Shure 588sb, EV PL24, PL44, AT, AKG P200, and an EV Cardax 950. Yeah, I only own one condenser mic.
More a dabbler, and much of this I've owned for quite some time. The 588sb I've owned for about half my life.

Mics are always pretty subjective, and source dependant. That said, I've been watching reviews via YouTube.
I can't afford a Beyerdynamic 88, though that gets pretty solid praise. I checked out vids for the TGV50d. It sounds like a really nice mic. I don't like "warm" as an adjective when it comes to audio, feels over used. Full, well rounded, yet lively come to mind. Might be how that model deals with proximity effect, but I think it sounded nice. The $99 ish price point makes it more wallet friendly. Also German made if I'm not mistaken. There's a bias there.

The other one I've read, and watched material on was the SE V7. I know little about this brand. Dunno where they are made etc. Seems like several artists favor them in a live environment. The shock mounting seems very well put together. Aesthetics are a plus. Large diaphragm dynamic?
Some folks say it's almost condenser like in behavior. Same general price range.

I have zero qualms with recording a dynamic, and there's also the option of using it in a live environment as well. Recording wise, it would get run through my USB preamp/ interface, and I'm also considering a stand alone pre, because I used to own one (sold it long ago when times got really tight).

A tertiary contender in the same range is the EV PL88. I like EV as a broad rule, having owned several over the years. That said, I shouldn't be afraid to branch out.

Thoughts?

Well, I would use it to record me, and likely use it in a live environment. Male vocal, baritone. It would largely be icing on the cake so to speak.

I ordered the Beyerdynamic. Lol. It's relatively wallet friendly, and seems to sound nice in all the videos. Well, I get to see first hand. Maybe I'll snag an Se V7 in a few months for grins... but that will be after getting some kind of standalone preamp. Taken a serious curiosity to the Pre73, the Soyuz Launcher, or just a basic Tube MP.

Well, about a year later... lol. Buying the mic from Sweetwater was a painless experience. The thing feels like a tank. Very solid. Up there with any other good manufacturer. It sits easy in hand, and the grill is contoured to get up close and personal with ease. I haven't tracked through it. I know. This is Home Recording. Lol.

I HAVE sang through it. Others in my household have sang through it. It seems to reproduce them well. My wife, my kiddos all come through sounding good on a little PA I've got hooked up for fun. I come through sounding flat and boring. Lol. That said, I haven't tweaked the EQ yet. I'm the lowest register out of the whole house.

I love the tones I get out of my D790 and 635a though. They get almost no EQ work. The Cardax, D790, and 635a all have some fun character and life pumped through the Fethead Germanium. I haven't tried the Beyer through that yet. Hoping to at least have a listen.

Well, about a year later... lol. Buying the mic from Sweetwater was a painless experience. The thing feels like a tank. Very solid. Up there with any other good manufacturer. It sits easy in hand, and the grill is contoured to get up close and personal with ease.
Good To Hear.
I HAVE sang through it. Others in my household have sang through it. It seems to reproduce them well. My wife, my kiddos all come through sounding good on a little PA I've got hooked up for fun. I come through sounding flat and boring. Lol. That said, I haven't tweaked the EQ yet. I'm the lowest register out of the whole house.

Well between the two microphones - the SE V7 is a supercardiod microphone and the Beyerdynamic TGV50d is a cardio microphone. So you weren't buying apples to apples.,

I tend to move a bit, so cardioid works pretty well for me. My EV PL mics are supercardioid, they also sound pretty good w/o a bunch of EQ (though more discipline), and the 635a being omni allows for a lot of movement. Though I'm not sure how the polar pattern would affect the mic as a transducer(outside of proximity effect), if you're using the same general technique on both (on axis, about 1/2" off grill). Input?

Like I said, I haven't pumped the TGV50D through my interface for any kind of monitoring or tracking. I'm just going off the sound out of my mixing board, w/o twisting a bunch of the EQ knobs. I might need more time to find a setting, or it may just be decent for everyone else but me. Time and experimentation. Lol.

I know gear preferences can be oddly polarizing. I like this mic on others. I am hoping to like this mic on me as well. Leaning towards no, but leaving the door open for "haven't messed with it enough."

Ran it through my interface, and even though I'm troubleshooting some latency issues, it sounded better. A lot better. So just an EQ or speaker response issue, coupled with this particular mic. It went into the DAW without EQ or filtering.

If I can sort the lag, I'll see about doing a couple samples.

Haven't sorted out my interface, but a slight bump on the lows made it "feel" better to me. A bit more lively. The more I use it, the more I'm liking it.

Back