Seeking condenser mic for high male vocal

loveofjazz

Sheep Defiler
Like so many that post in here, I'm looking for answers...and hopefully y'all can help.

I have a high male voice. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with a budget LDC mic (range $100.00 to $300.00) that has a decent (maybe even full) sound, but no harsh high range.

I've made sure to invest in decent preamps (Focusrite ISA One & M-Audio DMP3) by watching MF and Craigslist daily for good deals. The condenser mics I have currently (CAD GXL2400 & MXL 990) are okay, but not fantastic.

Any valid input is most certainly welcome.

Thanks...

You're going to have to spend more than $300 to get better than you have now. Aim for the 700 + mark (new) then find one used.

I'll keep that in mind. If I'm going to do that, I'll be saving for a while.
Any particular models in particular that I should be looking for?

If you can, try to test these mics: the SE2200A and Rode NT1000. They're extremely popular mics in the price range you mentioned, and for good reason. If you don't want that harshness you dislike you can try the SM7B. It's not a condenser, but it's a great versatile mic.

I just picked up a mint M-Audio Sputnik for $300 on eBay MSRP = $799. Much better than your MXL mic.

If you can, try to test these mics: the SE2200A and Rode NT1000. They're extremely popular mics in the price range you mentioned, and for good reason. If you don't want that harshness you dislike you can try the SM7B. It's not a condenser, but it's a great versatile mic.

Thanks for the heads-up on these two mics. Both received good reviews from what I've found.
Seems like that will work.

surely the MXL V67G would be better then the 990, and that comes in way under $300. And the SM7B is also a gd choice. I remember being told that was used on Thriller and by the lead singer of RHCP's ????

Currently on the lookout for a V67G. Posted that I was seeking one in the For Sale section.
Still wouldn't mind trying one, and if I get lucky and find one for a good price, I might jump on it.

The info on the SE2200a and NT1000 were helpful. Gonna have to keep my eyes open for the good deals.

For the record...just found a couple of good deals on the MXL V67g on eBay.
Still, I'm really giving the SE2200a or NT1000 some serious thought. Right now my budget is tight, but I'd rather suffer a bit and get a better mic (if possible) instead of jumping on the first thing available.

Yep, they're good mics. You should, however, try to use and test as many mics as you can get your hands on. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others.

I totally agree with that. When it comes to guitar equipment, I can usually find someone that either HAS the item I'm interested in (in hopes of borrowing and checking out) or HAS HAD the item I'm interested in (in hopes that they have similar taste or good input from having owned that particular item).

That's not the case with recording gear. The few guys I know that might loan me gear either don't have much in the way of condensers, or they insist on buying the cheapest crap ever and constantly bitching about it.

Aim for $700 then buy used like I did for $300 - pay $700 if you want a warranty...

Ebay has one that's currently at $200 (See new for $799 on Ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Spu...932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6645793c

Of course you'll need an Ebay account, Credit Card/PayPal, some risk, and then there's that pesky cable...:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?21021-replacement-cable-for-sputnik

Question on M-Audio Boards

replacement cable for sputnik
Hello,
I recently purchased a Sputnik off ebay and the gentleman that sold it to me can't find the included cable. Does anybody know where I can find a suitable replacement?

Response from M-Audio Tech Support
You can order a replacement directly from our repairs department, Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm, Pacific Time. Call 626-633-9055, press 2 at any time to bypass the introduction message, and then press 2 for replacement parts.
- Jared
Contact Technical Support

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rode-NTK-Co...091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69977e33

Last edited:
Somehow, I don't doubt that is a great microphone. I would love to demo this mic, per your suggestion, so don't feel ignored. However, the $799.00 to $999.00 range is a bit heady for me, especially since no one locally has one (by local I mean within 1.5 hours of my home), and the lowest listed used model online is $400.00. Can't demo what I don't have access to, and I don't have the available funds to just buy it, try it/use it, then send it back.

If you think you might be interested in sending your KSM44 to me for demo purposes, I'll gladly forward my physical address so that I might have the opportunity to experience this microphone. As it stands, I'm incredibly limited on condenser microphones available for home demonstration.

As always, your input is appreciated. Many folks on here have vast knowledge I'll never see. I welcome any help I can get.

Back