SE2200a or Rode NT1A

This is where the inverse square ratio I mentioned comes into play. The move from 1 inch to 7 inches makes the relative levels of the "signal" and the "noise" much closer together.

Yeh, my point is that it's probably less about sensitivity than people often say.

I'm no scientician :p but i'm figuring if i use my re20 exactly the same way as i would a condenser (ie, gain up and move away), then room noise would be just as much an issue.

I don't buy into dynamics being less sensitive to room noise or w/e, at least, not to the extent that it's often claimed, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

No, you're entirely right.

However, there's one other factor that comes into play: proximity effect. Because of the lack of sensitivity, most dynamics are designed for closer working than condensers so have a frequency response that rolls off at lower frequencies to compensate for the proximity effect. Condensers are sensitive enough to work a bit farther away so suffer more from proximity when you get really close.

Of course, these characteristics can sometimes be used to advantage as well....

Silly me. I just use my ears.

Yes dynamics are generally less sensitive. That's the point. Condensers will get all kinds of artifacts from a vocalist, as well as the aformentioned noise.

Also, dynamics just react differently and are easier to control in many situations. And there is the matter of frequency response. A mic that picks up more frequencies, also picks up more background noise at those frequencies. Not to mention the interaction between polar pattern and frequency response.

I am not alone on this. There are many top tier engineers that use dynamics for vocals.

But ultimately, use your ears and use what you like.

I was simply offering my opinion, gathered from personal experience, as another perspective for the original poster to consider.

Compared to what? I know it's not a megga $ mic, but there are a lot of people out there that get good results from a NT1A, maybe it's operator error.

Compared to mics that much less. Try the V67G. If you want more hyped hf a SPB1 is a less harsh and takes more spl. There are a lot of people out there doing a lot of things, Alan. What is your point? Mine is that my personal experience with the NT1A leads me to believe it is garbage.

I get pretty good sounds and have a fairly decent selection of mics. YMMV.

And the winner is???? Sounds like what was said at the start of this thread. "Now I await the replies with "get a SM7, a Neumann U8o something or other, or an EV blah blah blah"

OP is welcome to record with whatever mics he wishes. My recommendation remains that he save up and get something he'll keep forever, but I don't give two fucks if he buys 50 NT1As to round out his collection. Now, what do I win?

Silly me. I just use my ears.

Yes dynamics are generally less sensitive. That's the point. Condensers will get all kinds of artifacts from a vocalist, as well as the aformentioned noise.

Also, dynamics just react differently and are easier to control in many situations. And there is the matter of frequency response. A mic that picks up more frequencies, also picks up more background noise at those frequencies. Not to mention the interaction between polar pattern and frequency response.

I am not alone on this. There are many top tier engineers that use dynamics for vocals.

But ultimately, use your ears and use what you like.

I was simply offering my opinion, gathered from personal experience, as another perspective for the original poster to consider.

And you're entirely right to use what works best for you. What you describe as "artefacts" from a condenser I probably consider "clarity" or "sparkle". Dynamics, particularly the big ones, tend to sound just to woolly and dark to me--but that's my ears.

The only thing I took exception to is a claim that condensers are too sensitive to use in a home setting. I have a couple of terabytes of recordings that say otherwise.

The only thing I took exception to is a claim that condensers are too sensitive to use in a home setting. I have a couple of terabytes of recordings that say otherwise.

I didn't say that exactly. I too use condensers, but sometimes it is much easier to use a dynamic if it will get the job done.

By artifacts I meant things like lip smacks, throat noises, etc. For better or worse a condenser will usually pick up more of these.

Anyway, to each his own. :)

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

And the question was: "SE2200a or Rode NT1A"

And my answer was:

These questions appear on here all the time, only you can decide by trying them out and seeing how your own voice sounds. Both mics sound good it will come down to personal taste.

Now I await the replies with "get a SM7, a Neumann U8o something or other, or an EV blah blah blah"

:eatpopcorn:

Alan

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

And the question was: "SE2200a or Rode NT1A"

And my answer was:

These questions appear on here all the time, only you can decide by trying them out and seeing how your own voice sounds. Both mics sound good it will come down to personal taste.

Now I await the replies with "get a SM7, a Neumann U8o something or other, or an EV blah blah blah"

:eatpopcorn:

Alan

OK!! The Rode is harsh and sibilant, the SE picks up too much ambient room sound. If these are the only 2 mics available get the SE.

Satisfied?

The nearest I've come to an Se2200a II is enter a contest to win one.

Am I feeling lucky?

No.

Back