sE X1 USB + Reaper

Karl Engel

Hoping someone else might have tried this combo.
When using this mic with Reaper and monitoring through the mic I get an issue whereby upon hitting Play, sounds ramp up in volume from silence over a period of about a second, ie if I record "one, two, three" and line up the cursor at the start of "one" I won't hear any sound until the start of "two".

I assumed this was a problem with the sE driver but discovered it happens using all compatible drivers but apparently only in Reaper. The problem does not occur in Audacity or Audition and is not affected by buffer size.

Anyone else experienced this or found a workaround? (Other than monitiring through another output - which negates the benefit of the mic's zero latency monitoring.)

There is a function in Reaper to do 'fade ins' and 'fade outs'. Any chance this is what is doing it?

No, but the effect is similar. Thanks anyway. Seems to be something unique to this mic as an intrerface. I'm sure anyone who's tried it will notice it immediately. Makes precise editing almost impossible.

It only seems to occur in Reaper, only with this interface (a USB mic in this case), and with all drivers I've tried that allow the mic to be both the input and output device including sE's XMOS driver, ASIO4ALL, DirectSound and WaveOut

I've spent some time making a video that demonstrates the issue only to be told I can't post links here until I've posted a few times. Jeez Louise!

Here's Karl's vid...... really weird. This after it's recorded and the waveforms are clearly showing audio is recorded and present. I think I'd uninstall Reaper and do a fresh install ensuring not to use any previous settings and see what happens
YouTube

Thanks so much for posting the vid Mark. The prob occurs on 3 different computers so unfortunately I doubt it's an issue with this particular installation. No response on the Cockos forum. I'll contact their Support next,

Yes . . . very weird, and something beyond my experience, and an immediate diagnosis eludes me.

Couple of things:

1 How about shutting down the project, exiting Reaper, opening Reaper, and inserting that recorded track, then playing back.

2 Or, starting from scratch, insert a random WAV file (or other audio file), then playing back.

Another option is when firing up Reaper, you should be able to find a Reaper icon that says 'Reaper (reset configuration to factory defaults)' which is worth a try.

Back