On a scale of 1 to 10 - the KSM

How good is the Shure KSM vocal mic on a scale of 1 to 10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

gpaai

Why is/isn't the Shure KSM line of microphones what I need for recording vocals? Is there a better mic in the same price range?

Thanks,
Gary

I might put a $20K Elam or maybe even a (gasp!) Stephen Paul -- moded Neumann somewheres up around the 8-10 range and what not as far as vocal mics go.

I'm assuming, though, that what you are refering to is in the same price range as the ksm.

And as far as that goes, yea, I'd rate it somewhere between 8-10, because it is one of the best in the $400-600 range.

But then so is the AT4047, 4050, BLUE Baby Bottle, and the Rode NTK. What you're talking about is a vocal mic, and vocal mics are very selective about what you point them at. The best vocal mic in that price range is whatever sounds best on that particular voice, given it's unique characteristics and nuances. Which could be any of the ones I just mentioned or something else entirely -- even something much cheaper.

A 10 on my voice might be a 2 on yours or a 6 on someone else's. A given mic might even sound like a 10 on my voice on one song, and a 4 on another song, depending on what range I'm singing in and what kind song it is. That's what makes choosing "the one" best vocal mic such an exercise in futility.

However, if you were to ask me, frankly, where I would rank the ksm32 on my scale of my personal favorites . . . or if you were to ask me what's the best all-around, all-purpose type condenser for instruments as well as some voices . . . I'd give it a 10. Nothing else touches it in that price range for drum overheads (including kick and floor tom), upright bass, guitar or bass cabs, brass instruments, you name it. It's just so good on so many different things. And it happens to be great on a lot of voices -- particularly female vocals, or wherever you need something very neutral (unflattering) and balls-on accurate.

Hm, interesting. I have never listened to the Shure LDs, but when I took a peak at shure.com to my suprise I found that the KSM32 is an electret, while the half as expensive KSM27 is externally polarized. That the multipattern KSM44 is externally polarized hardly comes as a surprise, since varying the polarization voltage is perhaps the most straight forward way to change the pattern. Also they don't say anywhere how big the diafragm is, so perhaps this is another AT4033. (A small diafragm in a LD lookalike body.) Which would score another point for those saying that most people really prefer the sound of SDs while they prefer the looks of an impressive LD (preferably one with a well recognized logo on it getting slightly warm from some tubes inside).
Well anyway, I wouldn't make too much of it, but I still find it a bit odd...

KSM44 The best thing going for under $700 bucks. Its gets a 10 .IMO.
Actually, it was Joe Chicarelli's praise of the mic tha tsent me in that direction. Moist Pro dude :)

SoMm

I know that a lot of people aren't big fans of the reviews over at ProRec, but the KSM ones are worth reading, IMO

KSM27
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/7CA914D4EDA8964486256B1E001E4002

KSM32
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articl...0215e3969bd7552586256898006b37b9?OpenDocument

KSM44
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articl...1d68cef5c599a3f3862569e9001f4e1b?OpenDocument

I haven't played with any of the LDC series of the KSM line, only the instrument line. So I'll keep my hearsay to a minimum.

-mg

BasPer said:
Also they don't say anywhere how big the diafragm is, so perhaps this is another AT4033. (A small diafragm in a LD lookalike body.)

It is a medium-diaphragm, but it's design is pretty unique. I don't know the specifics of it, but it's designed in such a way that you're getting a lot of the benefits of a Large Diaphragm at the same time, and it's bass response is damn near ideal.

It is an electret, so if that's a sticking point with anyone, then I'd be advised of that and act accordingly.

chessrock said:
It is a medium-diaphragm, but it's design is pretty unique. I don't know the specifics of it, but it's designed in such a way that you're getting a lot of the benefits of a Large Diaphragm...
The 4033 has sort of a wave guide attached to the diaphragm (to get a better S/N ratio I guess), and I just searched around a bit and it seems the KSM32 has an "embossed" diaphragm. Which would mean that they have stamped a 3D pattern into it, and they claim the added surface area makes it behave like an LD. Myself I can't see that connection, but I would guess they gain a bit of rigidity which is probably a good thing.

The first higher priced mic i bought was the KSM27 and i love it. Its so accurate and it works for anything. It is also a real accurately reproducing hi hat mic.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I am sold. I don't think I can go wrong making a KSM my first real vocal mic.

KSM Series Microphones

I really dig both the Shure KSM32 & KSM44 LDs. Each are different but darn good microphones in any case! Other than these two KSM model mics, I also love the AT4047SV just as much for different reasons (and sounds).

I have been using a KSM44 through either and ART TPS or a Behringer Ultravoice pro into a Korg D1600 and, for vocals it sounded fantastic !

Im about to try it through a Focusrite voice master pro (S/P DIF into a RME audio sound card into Snoar) and Im hoping that makes it even yummier !

Dr_simon

Let me know how that combo works. I have the VM Pro and would be interested in your results.

Back