Saxophone Microphone for Under £150/$250?

dremits

Hi,

I have a problem that I would like to set up a poll similar to the vocal mic polls but the truth is I don't know what microphones to put in the poll? Could someone/people suggest 4-6 mics that are typically used for recording saxophones (under £150/$250) and i'll setup the poll. Also any recommendations and opinions welcome but I my main aim is to create a poll to help me.

Thanks,

FWIW after trying all the mics I have and could easily borrow we are using a Naiant X-S for my wife's alto sax and clarinet live and in our studio. The only other mic we prefered was a Neumann TLM 103 but it's way out of that budget (and ours).

Look for a used RE-20. Works great for sax. I got mine for $200. I don't know what the used mic market is like in the UK to know if pricing will be workable. I've been told that the Beyer M-69 also works surprisingly well on sax, but haven't tried it yet. Used Beyer M-69s run @$100 or so over here.

try one of the chinese ribbons. I think you will be really surprised
I record a lot of horns (trumpets and trombones as well as sax) with slightly tweaked Apex 205s (you can often get the unbranded version alctron HRM-8b on ebay here in UK) I bought a pair for 125 quid and have not stopped using them. Search on here for advice on modding them.
Also I hear good things about thomann/nady ribbons (same factory as the apex),and the cascade fatheads, which are a little more but QC is better.

Also have a look for a Oktava 319. I use mine a lot for sax and it works a treat. They can be had for your kinda money new

Thats my 2p!
hope it helps
long

Cool- I've never tried the MK319 on sax. I've had my best luck with Sennheiser MD421 and AKG C2000B. Both are in your price range, the AKG new, or the Sennheiser used. I don't know what you can get a used 421 for in the UK, but German mics are usually easier to come by in the UK than in the US. I don't even recommend most US mics to folks in the UK, the taxes will kill you. Australian or Canadian mics (Rode and CAD) are well priced in the UK, but the only one of those I would recommend for sax is a little out of your price range (Rode NTK). If you get an MD421 or a C2000B, though, you won't be sorry. They are both great on sax, and have a ton of other uses.-Richie

Last edited:
Thanks gecko. Wow, that was just a C2? Certainly worth looking at. Thanks Richard as well for the suggestions. I think I have enough suggestions to start comparing now. Thanks very much.#

EDIT: Just noticed that the Beh C2s can be sold as a 'stereo matched pair'. What does this mean and if you get a pair can you use just one of them when needed?

Thanks gecko. Wow, that was just a C2? Certainly worth looking at. Thanks Richard as well for the suggestions. I think I have enough suggestions to start comparing now. Thanks very much.#

EDIT: Just noticed that the Beh C2s can be sold as a 'stereo matched pair'. What does this mean and if you get a pair can you use just one of them when needed?

The idea of a mathced pair is that the specs of the two mikes are supposed to be identical, thus making them excellent for miking in stereo. You can use them separately when needed.

+1 for the Naiant mic for this budget. I have a pair of the older omni's and figure they're similar to the current offerings. I used these for my saxes for quite a while with pretty good results.

The number one benefit is it's omni so no proximity effect which will allow you to get the mic as close as you'd like without affecting the voicing of the mic. Plus the wide pattern will pick up the whole sax rather than spotlighting a small area. Saxophone sound is not a directional instrument like a trumpet.

The other suggestions (MD421, RE20, ect.) were sound ideas too.

One other suggestion would be a modified MXL 990. I just used one and was pretty impressed for the price.

I'm sorry to re-hash this thread, but...

...for the Naiant x-s, since it's a tiny Omni mic, where would you recommend the mic placement? Take into account I have a VERY small sound room (it's a 5 foot by 8 foot space beneath by basement stairs that I've built up with partical board, sound board and acoustical foam. No laughing please. :) ). I have the Naiant mic, a Trackmaster Pro strip and will be recording into a Tascam DP-02. Any ideas, comments or suggestions? I'll be playing alto. Thank you.

We bought the gooseneck mount from Naiant (cost more than the mic) and it works perfectly. We position it at 10 o'clock pointed at an imaginary spot between the bell and the lower register keys. We also use the same mic & mount on clarinet using a lyre as a riser pointed at the lower register keys. nice balance and very natural sounding. We are using an ART Studio Tube MP as a preamp and for phantom power.

I heard that the Shure KSM32 was used on the latest Steely Dan CD with the bell 18" from the Mic...an AT3035 is in that price range...but I didnt hear any examples of that one being used...but it has a 3/4" diaphram which seems to do really well for alot of things like this.

gecko zzed: Nice recording and playing. Sounded like something from GRP.

Were you using the C2 live?

Paj
8^)

Back