SAMSON CO1U USB Condenser Microphone

Zorn

I was wondering if anyone would recommend this microphone? All I want to do is record my vocals (no instruments) over music that I created with software on my computer. This mic seems like a good option as it means I don't have to buy any pre-amps or a mixer as I am ONLY recording vocals. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd love to hear it!

i can't imagine that a high quality A/D converter and a decent pre-amp fit in such a small mic.

also, where is the gain control on this thing? software?

C01U and SnowBall.

Zorn said:
I was wondering if anyone would recommend this microphone? All I want to do is record my vocals (no instruments) over music that I created with software on my computer. This mic seems like a good option as it means I don't have to buy any pre-amps or a mixer as I am ONLY recording vocals. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd love to hear it!
Zorn,
I have read a lot of good stuff about this microphone. Read about the C01U at the MacInTouch Website. This mic comes with a software control for gain. You can read all about it at the Samson Website. I was about to buy the C01U until I read about the B.L.U.E. SnowBall. This is one great microphone and you can read the reveiw that I wrote here. A point of interest is the 3 postion switch that controls the 2-microphone capsule (Cardioids and Omni). Either the C01U or the SnowBall will deliver good sound...you choose. Keep in mind that both these microphones are usb and need to be plugged into a computer running XP or Macintosh OS X. I hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,

>I would say..........NO. You can do much better, for not all that much more >money.

I would be happy to pay a little more money for something better! Any recommendations where I won't need pre-amps or a mixer?

If your looking to buy the C01U from Samson you really can't go wrong for the $80 bucks that you are going to put into it. I recommend the SnowBall from Blue for $140. WHY? Well for one, it has 2 microphone capsules and a 3 way switch that engages them. It's like getting 3 microphones in 1. The switch in postion 2 also has a -10db pad. You get alot more for the money. These 2 are great entry level studio microphones that will help you start with out all the expense of other set ups. Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,

I don't like the C01U Microphone....

You can ONLY use ONE mic at a time ....I'm trying to do a podcast talk show with 4 Mics (Me , my co-host and 2 guests)...I've done real radio talk shows before.
I'm using a Apple G5 and 4 C01U (USB) mics. My Mac "sees" the 4 mics BUT only allows me to pic one for all audio input....that sucks! on the site it said "The worlds first USB Studio Condenser Microphone
Ideal for Podcasting!" ...I don't think so...I'm I doing something wrong?...help http://www.samsontech.com/index.cfm :mad:

Back