Royer/MXL mod...did anyone ever actually do it?

OneRoomStudios

I've gone through old posts and it looks like a couple people were about to mod their 2001's but no one ever posted back about it. Just wondering if anyone finshed it, and how it sounds. I'm really interested in the mod but I want to know how it sounds. Thanks.

OneRoomStudios said:
I've gone through old posts and it looks like a couple people were about to mod their 2001's but no one ever posted back about it. Just wondering if anyone finshed it, and how it sounds. I'm really interested in the mod but I want to know how it sounds. Thanks.

Yes, I changed MXL2001 to a tube circuit, using Lundahl trafos. There are definite improvements in bass response and better overall tonal balance and more pleasant sound. To be honest however, don't hold your breath if you think of getting a world class mic out of it. The limiting factors are quality of capsule and grill construction. I think there are mics which are more suitable for modifications. If you have the MXL2001 anyway, first, I would suggest to relam its trafo with Super Q Ni, change signal caps for better quality ones, and see if you like what you get. In mine (tubed) I removed two inner layers of mesh in the grill, and changed capsule to my old Neumann K67.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about trying the mod on the 2003 at some point. It has a much higher quality capsule and better sounding grill (or so I've been told).

As far as the sound of the mod'ed 2001, you say it has a better bass response and better tonal balance. Would you say it makes the mic sound "darker" in general, or is it a more subtle change? Thanks again

OneRoomStudios said:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about trying the mod on the 2003 at some point. It has a much higher quality capsule and better sounding grill (or so I've been told).

As far as the sound of the mod'ed 2001, you say it has a better bass response and better tonal balance. Would you say it makes the mic sound "darker" in general, or is it a more subtle change? Thanks again

I think 2003 would be a better choice--it has 797 capsule, IIRC.

Concerning 2001... It is hard for me to say "darker", because everyone has his own understanding of what it means. If you mean the bass is hyped--no. I would say, if stock is very bright, with lack of bass whatsoever, the modded at least has some, and is more balanced. Of course, mids and bass nothing close to K67. Currently I am working on retuning the capsule, but it is too early to say anything about final results, yet.

Back