RODE NTK / Voicemaster Pro or Great River ME-1NV

Simmons

I going to purchase a pre amp next week. It will either be the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro or the Great River ME-1NV.

I realize there's price difference and I realize the VM pro is pretty much a one trick pony....but it's a very fucking important trick. The vocals must shine and this is the primarily reason I'm buying a new pre-amp.

Has anyone used the either preamp in combination with the RODE NTK before? I'd like to hear your thought on the subject if you have. The RODE NTK is a little silibant so I will probably need to buy a de-esser if I go with the Great River...an extra cost. BUT IT'S A GREAT RIVER! I've heard nothing but good things about how vocals turn out with the VM Pro and it has great de-esser, EQ, blah, blah, blah. I'm curious how the two pre amps would sound side by side (test driving these preamps isn't an option where I live).

Is the RODE NTK and the Great River ME-1NV a good match? Better than the other option?

Simmons

Simmons said:
I going to purchase a pre amp next week. It will either be the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro or the Great River ME-1NV.

I realize there's price difference and I realize the VM pro is pretty much a one trick pony....but it's a very fucking important trick. The vocals must shine and this is the primarily reason I'm buying a new pre-amp.

Has anyone used the either preamp in combination with the RODE NTK before? I'd like to hear your thought on the subject if you have. The RODE NTK is a little silibant so I will probably need to buy a de-esser if I go with the Great River...an extra cost. BUT IT'S A GREAT RIVER! I've heard nothing but good things about how vocals turn out with the VM Pro and it has great de-esser, EQ, blah, blah, blah. I'm curious how the two pre amps would sound side by side (test driving these preamps isn't an option where I live).

Is the RODE NTK and the Great River ME-1NV a good match? Better than the other option?

Simmons

Sorry to tell you this, but, without trying both either could be a dog with your setup. I have the VM pro and love it. It works great with all my mics cheap or expensive and does a great job on ribbons where the high gain/super quiet pre is needed. Names mean nothing as you have to use any pre to really know what works for you.

Good luck.

PS: neither of these will be truly bad, but one will be better than the other for your setup. Its just the odds man.

tdukex said:
I haven't heard either preamp, but it seems to me you are comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari.

That is exactly the problem. You have not heard either pre, but instantly believe that one is better than the other. Not flaming you, but, spending the $$ on one or the other based on heresay is a waste of $$ period.

FWIW, I've had excellent results with an NTK going into the GR NV. It was absolutely stunning.

But this means very little, or nothing. Why?

Because your source, song, application, signal chain will probably be different from what mine was.

Now, as far as the Great River, it is top notch if that is the sound you're after. Vintage, with very tight sonics and flexibility. It does a lot of things, very well.

Bowisc

I have an NTK with an ME 1-NV and the combo sounds great especially with the ultra transparent RNC (which is key IMO) for my vocals...

I use the GR for vocals, bass, and snare drum (purchased for vocals) I'm a power tenor so the pre's headroom when performing is a very important detail for me. I tend to blow over lower budget pieces and not feel comfortable in the head phones.
the GR has a very detailed up front sound that really stands out in the mix, tons of headroom. (I rarely if "ever" need to de-ess) i dig that sizzley character at the top end of the vox tracks.

I have used the VM Pro and that headroom thing was as expected, a bit low for me, however the NTk has a unique sound of its own that I've used with Vintech pre's, TL Audio, mackie boards, RNP, ART Pro MPA, DBX 376, and even digi001 pre's (tube and solid state alike)..that mic maintains its character throughout all those I tested.

we all like to "justify our purchases" I bought the ME to keep around for a long time (especially with the matching Great River EQ being released) I'll eventually get that and have a nice strip to grow with for years to come. maybe eventually replace the RNC with a disstresor....

but I will say the NTK does sound real nice through the VM PRO and for the cash it really isnt a bad piece, many useable features, not a one trick pony to me, you can definetly track some nice vocals with that piece, definetly!......I wont start on this and throw another wrench in your spokes, but i will say out of all those pre's I mentioned above, the RNP/RNC really did freak me out...its really cool, real clean, a nice match with the color of the NTK??????????????????????

sorry for such a novel bro, but I sometimes get so wrapped up in gear options I often lose sight of the music..get something and get going!

good luck

Bobalou, Question for you ?

First off, welcome to the BBS.

Now to pick your brain.

I am looking to pick up a mic pre strictly dedicated for vocal work. I have an RNC and an NTK as well. I also have a tenor voice and style similar to David Gates of bread, Steve Perry and Peter Cetera.

Out of the RNP and the Voice master pro, which would you recommend for me ? Or is there another in that price range to look at ?

Thanks
Sincerely
Pier Calacino

acorec said:
That is exactly the problem. You have not heard either pre, but instantly believe that one is better than the other. Not flaming you, but, spending the $$ on one or the other based on heresay is a waste of $$ period.

Did I say one is better than the other? No. I implied they are both nice pres but in different classes. I don't have to drive both a Vette and a Ferrari to know that they are both great cars but in different classes. Call it heresay if you want, but I trust the dozen or so respected pro engineers I have already read/heard sing the praises of the NV1 as being a great preamp--one of the best available. And until these same sources start mentioning the Voicemaster as being in the same class as the NV1, I will consider the sports car analogy valid. Your opinion, alone, although I respect it, is not enough for me. And I do not think it is fair to do direct comparisons between preamps (or sports cars) that are in different classes.

Re: Bobalou, Question for you ?

Pier Calacino said:
First off, welcome to the BBS.

Now to pick your brain.

I am looking to pick up a mic pre strictly dedicated for vocal work. I have an RNC and an NTK as well. I also have a tenor voice and style similar to David Gates of bread, Steve Perry and Peter Cetera.

Out of the RNP and the Voice master pro, which would you recommend for me ? Or is there another in that price range to look at ?

Thanks
Sincerely
Pier Calacino

thanks Pier,

great influences you have! ...Steve Perry, Steve Walsh, Mickey Thomas, some of my all time fav rock singers.

some of my problems getting comfortable while recording have to do with all the air I push while singing, pushing the mic, the pre, and phones...I always feel like I have to pull back while singing thus not being able to really let loose... also, heavy squashing compression going in always seem to effect my head voice area where I'm most comfortable singing and having that compression kick in really inhibits my performance.

whenever I've been in pro studios where gear is endless I can sure see why those singers we mentioned have that chance to deliver "comfortably" however, for me at home I really had to find something that would give me results and of course be affordable.

I like the NTK because its tube sizzle and frequency range seems to keep me in a smaller spot while singing, I tend to be a bit too full voiced so I like the way its frequency, a bit scooped across the mids, kinda keeps me in line.

The RNC in super nice mode keeps the signal tame without "choking" me. really an unbelievable compressor not just for its price. it truly is 'transparent" as people like to say.

as i said I chose the GR ME-1NV as it fullfills all my needs mentioned above with growth in mind....but i did purchase an RNP/RNC as well which I use on backing vox, drum overheads, stereo accoustic etc. it really is impressive. the headroom on that little thing (wall wort and all) is very "airy" clean, no distortion, and quite high...I dont EQ my voice going in at all so I wouldnt need the VMP EQ option, but I can honestly say the NTK/RNP/RNC is a very high quality chain with performance and budget in mind.....

I dont want to bag on the VM Pro, as it does have some interesting features, but "IMO" the RNP's "2 channels", the high headroom (of the pre's) the transparancy of the RNC, and the tube essance of the NTK togather, really sets it far above the VM pro for vocals...

in the same/close price range there is the single channel Grace 101 $500us and the Summit 2BA-221 tube/solid state $500us..both are single channel, both have nice headroom, both have been reccomended with the NTK or tube mics, with the summit having the option of clean or tube color blending. (I must say I have not heard these on my voice in person though) but are worth looking into especially if you dont need the 2 channels of the RNP.

sorry i took such a long road to get here, But I thought some added info would help since we share a similar vocal style that has its unique challenges.

good luck

Bobby

First, you need to get somewhere and hear these combos for yourself. Every voice is different. What is good for me may not be good for you.

Regarding the NTK into the RNP vs VMPro, I had exactly the opposite experience as Bobalou. The VMPro produces significantly better tracks on vocals than the RNP but I disabled the internal compressor and run into the RNC for compression. All this underscores the need to try before you buy or buy and return what you don't like.

MM

Thank you both for you input

But boy oh boy !!

Too many pre's to choose from. Like you said, you really don't know until you try them do you ?

I wish it was just easer than that.

Again, thank you both for you input, I will just have to keep looking and learning or just buy one, shut up and just use it !!

I now use the pre's from my soundcraft spirit M8, and I am thinking any of the pre's mentioned here should be an improvement, don't you think ?

Pier

Just get a nice Presonus Blue Tube and you'll have warm silky sounds at your fingertips. And you'll save a lot of money too. Can't beat a Blue Tube.

You’re not serious about the blue are you ?

What do you base that on ? Just opinion and it sounds good to you, or have you tried others to compair it with ?

I have always heard it was noisy, but I don't know first hand. I don't know how it would stack up with the RNP or grace 101 just for example.

I would tend to believe that the blue is in a different class than say the RNP or Grace too ?

Pier

sorry! I forgot to put the correct smiley face I guess. I have a Blue Tube and Blue Max and recently upgraded to the RNP/RNC. Much better! I was quoting the sales lines for the Blue Tube...."warm silky sounds.." Kinda fuzzy is more like it. However, to be fair, mine is not excessively noisy and it's not too bad on some things. You just wouldn't want to use it for critical tracks. Yes it's in a different class from the RNP, Grace, etc. Anyway, sorry for wasting your time. My attempt at humor has once again failed miserably. I do have the NTK that I've used with the RNP. On my voice it sometimes sounds a little harsh ( I just probably haven't learned how to use it yet ) but they really slam that signal onto the hard drive. Nice and quiet too. But I would like to hear the NTK on some other preamps though, maybe some nice smooth ones.

Hey Steve,

You didn’t waste my time at all, but I was hoping you were kidding about the blue. You just never know about some people though . I am sure there are some folks that actually believe that.

Thanks
Pier

What am i hearing. The Voicemaster vs the great river is like a corvette vs a ferrari . . . yeah right! more like a Honda vs a Lexus.

The great river is based on the "NEVE 1703" (one of the most used and sought after pre's) but with way less noise. The warth the great river give's you cannot be matched by any mic pre for under $1500. The voice master is not bad but is like a swiss army knife lots of cool stuff but nothing heavy dutty. Hands down the great river BLOWS the vm out of the water!!! But it by no means is a ferrari of mic pre's but a very good (8.5 - 9 out of 10)
pre.

gotta tell ya, i recors with a vmp and an ntk (among others)
the results are great
no one here can predict what pre's and mic's will do on different
voices
you can compare corvettes or ferraris
you can compare hondas and ferraris
you cannot compare pres and mics without using the same source
my $.02
In His Name
BK

Go with the Great River pre - in the long run (prolly the short run as well) you'll be WAY happier. The Great River gear is like buying a modern day API or Neve unit. In the future gear whores will be drooling over vintage Great River equipment.

Back