Rode NT5 VS Studio Projects C4

destiny rec

looking to purchase a pair of small condensers for mic'ing overheads and acoustic guitar - which pair would you choose, and why - or is there another pair in this price range that you'd recommend? thanks,

brandon

Had the same dilemma last year but ended up with the C4 based solely on reviews. I live in a place where I do not have the luxury of trying before buying.

Didn't really have a chance to try the NT5s but I am pleased with my C4s. I understand the NT5s are great mics for the price as well and either one would be great for ac guitars. Sorry, I know this really isn't a lot of help.

Given the choice I'd take the C-4's. Both companies have very good customer service and support. I'd do it for the omni capsules.-Richie

I've heard and used both of those mics, and it's the use on acoustic guitar that I am not sure you'd be entirely happy with overall. The Avensons do deliver a very natural sound. The AT4041 would be an excellent choice for pulling both duties with a bit more bite on acoustic but not bright.

Out of your original 2 though, I'd take the C4's. Similar sound to the NT5 with extra caps. Not a bright mic either, I'm just not a huge fan of them on acoustic guitars but they are good overhead mics. Others like them on acoustic.

War

Back