Rode NT5 (matched pair) or 2 AT 4033`s

griffin

Hi all,
You people have probably answered this question a million times already...so apologies all round!

I`ve narrowed my next microphone(s) purchase down to these two models...NT5 (matched pair) or 4033 (2 of). My dilemma is quite straightforward (really!)...Audio Technica don`t have a matched pair of the 4033`s (?); would it be feasible to buy 2 of these (4033) and achieve the same results as a matched pair (NT5`s for example) or am I creating problems for myself. The purpose for use is to record acoustic guitar (mainly classical/nylon)....recently, a friend loaned me his AT4033 for trial; I was very impressed with the recording quality. Any input would be much appreciated...

thanks in advance,
...griffin

P>S> Which of the Studio Project mics are best for acoustic guitar?

My opinion is that most any two 4033's (assuming neither is damaged or abused by smoke or whatever) will be simular enough. I love 4033's. Great overheads, great as tight mics for toms or out in front of a kick drum, great on acoustic instruments, decent enough on vocals. Like the Swiss army knife of mics.

I've heard good things about the 4033 on acoustic guitar--and great things about the mic overall. But are two 4033s ($600 USD) $300 better than two Marshall MXL603s ($200 USD) on acoustic guitar? Hmmmm...I think they may not even be as good on acoustic guitar, but I have never compared the two. I've put the 603s up against my $1,000 tube mic and preferred the 603s. Of course that's apples and oranges and it's all subjective, and the 4033 will always be a valued mic.

If it were me, I'd consider two 603s and a single 4033 for versatility. I sometimes mic an acoustic with three mics or like to use two different mics.

Track Rat said:
My opinion is that most any two 4033's (assuming neither is damaged or abused by smoke or whatever) will be simular enough. I love 4033's. Great overheads, great as tight mics for toms or out in front of a kick drum, great on acoustic instruments, decent enough on vocals. Like the Swiss army knife of mics.
4033 vs KSM-32?
Like mentioned above, looking for a pair of good on-the-neutralish-side workhourse mics. (don't think I want the wide-cardioid pattern of the 603's)
Wayne

griffin said:
I`ve narrowed my next microphone(s) purchase down to these two models...NT5 (matched pair) or 4033 (2 of).
Why not use the same process you used to narrow it down to the NT5 and AT4033 to make your final choice?

for what it's worth, i have the NT5's and use them for acoustic guitar, and drum overheads and i've liked them a lot. only $300 a pair is a steal. i don't know a bit about the AT's or the MXL's but i've heard good about both.

this is pretty much a useless post except for anothe vote for NT5.

I don't know this thread veered off in the direction it did :D , but what it comes down to is versatility (4033) versus matched pair (NT5). Personally, I've never been the type to worry much about having a matched pair, so I guess you can see where my vote will go.

Mixsit -- the 32's are noticeably more on the "neutral-ish" side, while the 4033 has comparatively more of a treble and midrange boost to it. So it should come down to which of those things you prefer. Both qualify as good, all-purpose, workmanlike, etc.

Hi...Many thanks for the responses (I`m a bit of a virgin when it comes to this recording mallarkey). My current mindset is veering towards the 4033`s; before testing them through a recently purchased Yamaha AW16G, I thought a pre-amp would be necessary, but I was pleasantly surprised; there was little or no `noise`...if that makes sense!. Buying three mic.s is also a big temptation; perhaps incorporating the MXL`s, although I haven`t tried them yet.
Would I have to make sure the serial numbers match on the 33`s (is this really necessary?) if I decide on 2 of them, and if not, what problems can arise (if any?). While we are on the subject...is it a good idea to have 2 different brand of mic.s; what would you recommend with a 4033? Perhaps I should check out the 603`s...so many mic.s, so little time! It`s a big learning curve I have taken onboard; perhaps I should buy a book on the subject and stop hasslin` you people!

slainte,
griffin

If your still interested in the Rode NT5s... I just picked a pair up off Ebay for $225. They've been going for as little as $215 w/ shipping. They're New, Matched, come in a decent case w/ mounts and wind screen, & the manufatures Warranty.
They just got here today. I took a chance, thinking ... to good to be true... I realy like my Rode NTK and after my first impressions w/ em tonight, I'd say these are right there w/ it. I researched em and was considering the MXL603 and SPC4. I also have a pair of Oktava 012 (like em on Over heads, not so much for accoustics) and was looking for mainly accoustic guitar/cello mics. I ruled out the C4s, & the NT5 were not much more than the 603s, so I decided to check em out & I'm glad I did.

Good Luck,
B.

Back