Rode NT1A wind like noise

Burley

Right I am fuming
my rode nt1a is making a crackling/wind like noise and i dont know why
i record onto a boss br1200 and settings are set the same as always so its not that
its either the mic or the cable but i dont have a clue which
anyone know what the problem could be?
thanks

Are any other input tracks open? It could be another track, not the one with the Rode.

Try another cable.

Are you using a grounded power socket?

thanks for the quick reply
nope only got one track running and thats the rode
im actually using one of those plugs to convert a uk plug to a european plug as im living abroad but ive always used this and never had a problem

yeh my wall socket has grounding but not sure if my adapter connects this grounding.. what could this meen?

infact its nothing to do with the plug as ive just plugged it into my mixer which plugs directly into a grounded socket and is still makin this damn sound
it has litterly gone from working fine with no problems to hearing this stupid cracklin in minutes, as from listening back to the recordings ive done tonight, the first few recrdings i did had no crackling
geus im gona have to try a new cable and if that dont work then damn i know never to buy a rode again

Any sample of this sound? If it has the wind with the spoken word, or sung. Try it on other sources that don't produce wind and see if it still has said noise. If there's a difference, then you need a popfilter and/or a windscreen. If it's some other noise like that of the signal chain. That niagra falls kind of river sound that stays pretty consistent, but not consistent enough for most filters to remove. Then that's a completely different issue. And likely a ground issue.

well ive alredy got a popfilter so its not that. its not with a spoken word, its a constant noise. infact when i record vocals it records over it but if thers a pause you can hear it, but the vocals dont mute the noise they just hide it because theyre louder. the best way i can describe the noise without showing you is, when i turn the volume and input level right up you can hear a buzzing noise, almost as if a really small fly was trapped inside knocking against the the neshing. if need be i can uplaod a clip of the noise onto youtube and it might give you a better idea.

thanks for the help so far everyone

Could be a contaminated diaphragm.
Or the microphone it's self has a grounding issue. Is it nice an tightly screwed together?

thanks for all the replies everyone
i just plugged it in today and it was fine :S doesnt make sence really
i really just think there was a small fly inside, sounds stupid i know but seems the most logical explination at this moment of time
il get back to you all if it comes back
thanks for all the replies!

Well a simple buzzing sound could be electrical interference. Perhaps the A/C and/or washer and dryer isn't running, therefor the influence is much reduced. I get a buzz on my mics when I'm out and about and near the electrical box right outside the back door. And now with some high voltage power lines a couple acres over, there's only a few small patches in the yard where I can record without an overbearing influence. But just guessing per say until a sample can be had.

Pop filters only do so much. If you're right up on the mic, a nylon one might not be enough. I've got two on mine, but mainly because I have two of them (one nylon, one metal), not really because I need them that way. But if it's a consistent noise, then it's not likely that. It could be humidity related and other things. Depending on usage and history of said mic.

thanks for all the replies everyone
i just plugged it in today and it was fine :S doesnt make sence really
i really just think there was a small fly inside, sounds stupid i know but seems the most logical explination at this moment of time
il get back to you all if it comes back
thanks for all the replies!

I had a Shure KSM 27 that acted the same the same way ... come to find out it was a grounding issue within the microphone it's self.

It would be find for a day or two then buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then be fine again?

Shure fixed it for free! YEAH.

Right I am fuming
i record onto a boss br1200 and settings are set the same as always so its not that
thanks
I am having this exact problem with the exact Mic, It's so Annoying thinking about getting some caned air and spray it tru the Mic...

whoaaaa!! (that's english for stop a horse)

is that a joke?? if by through the mic, you mean the mesh/grille.....just don't do it :)

I am having this exact problem with the exact Mic, It's so Annoying thinking about getting some caned air and spray it tru the Mic...

whoaaaa!! (that's english for stop a horse)

is that a joke?? if by through the mic, you mean the mesh/grille.....just don't do it :)

Yeah no doubt! you'll end up with more problems then you already have.

What are you using as a preamp? And do you have that wide open?

Yeah no doubt! you'll end up with more problems then you already have.

What are you using as a preamp? And do you have that wide open?

Tried it both ways , with/without Pre.. different cables , different interfaces , still no luck. Funny thing is i've had the Mic since January and never had an issue until now

Any Suggestions??

Tried it both ways , with/without Pre.. different cables , different interfaces , still no luck. Funny thing is i've had the Mic since January and never had an issue until now

Right I am fuming
thanks

Well it could be a bad batch off the production line?

Do you have other mics to see if it's not something else in the chain?

Could be a bad batch. Any new construction in your area? The analogue end is a bit too sensitive for my tastes. Any new gadgets? Wii remote? Cordless headphones? LED lighting? Roommate who was formerly an alien? As in not of this earth type.

You probably don't want to blow condensed air over the mic. Microns thick is pretty damn thin, err frail. Any environmental concerns like you live in a hut in the sahara and it's 120F in the shade (during winter). Lots of possibilities. But if it used to not do it and now it does it, something changed. MS SP3? Any tube gear in there? Tubes don't last forever, they're called tubes as in short for vacuum tube. At 15lbs per square inch air pressure, it's only a matter of time until a vacuum is not a vacuum. Baring that new Abby roads studio module on the IS addition. (only if)

i think i vaguely remember someone on here talking about noisy mics, and it ended up being moisture on the diaphram.

does anyone remember this better than me??

Back