Rode NT1A wind like noise

Do you have other mics to see if it's not something else in the chain?

Could be a bad batch. Any new construction in your area? The analogue end is a bit too sensitive for my tastes. Any new gadgets? Wii remote? Cordless headphones? LED lighting? Roommate who was formerly an alien? As in not of this earth type.

You probably don't want to blow condensed air over the mic. Microns thick is pretty damn thin, err frail. Any environmental concerns like you live in a hut in the sahara and it's 120F in the shade (during winter). Lots of possibilities. But if it used to not do it and now it does it, something changed. MS SP3? Any tube gear in there? Tubes don't last forever, they're called tubes as in short for vacuum tube. At 15lbs per square inch air pressure, it's only a matter of time until a vacuum is not a vacuum. Baring that new Abby roads studio module on the IS addition. (only if)

Lots of new construction in my area, i also added a tube preamp one of those cheap ART tube mp's (i think that's when the problem started) i have since gotten rid of the amp but the problem still persists tried different Mic's its definitely the NT1A. I read someplace else that it may be related to moisture, and that could make sense since from Jan - April my studio was kept relatively warm due to the season. The person said i should store the mic in a warm, dry place for a day or so. Think i will try that.

There's a lamp trick I used to hear about to dry it out. A 60W incandescent (old style bulb)(or was it 100W?). Let the mic bask in the warmth for about an hour and it (in theory) dries it out. I've never done it myself. But I don't sing / blow warm wet air at my mics. A shoe box or drawer with those moisture absorbing packet things in it too. Supposedly a way to bake the packets to restore them. Probably the safer option. I use a pop filter when I do do the voice thing. Just to help with said moisture issue. Not that that is your problem. And if it is, if you stop using the mic for about a week it should (in theory) correct itself. If moisture is the problem and you store your mics in a favorable way. i.e. don't be storing them on the shelf near the shower.

Or it could be something else.

okay so its been months since I posted this problem i had and my microphone has been working fine, but about 2 weeks ago the problem came back. Its like this, if i keep it in my drawer for a week, it works fine for days, if i keep it in my drawer for a day, it will work for about 20 mins.. still clueless to what the problem is, thanks

Although I have never had to use the warranty on my Rode, I have only read good reviews on their "stand-behind-their-product" warranty policy. If you do take advantage of your 10-year warranty, please post an update about your experience. I would be interested to know.

As for the dessicant trick, I break down my mic nearly each time I am through recording, and store it back in the original plastic bag with the dessicant packet that it shipped with it. I have also collected a few more dessicant packets from equipment packaging to add to the Rode plastic bag too. I re-purposed my .38cal pistol case for my mic case. It gets people's attention when I break it out. ;-) Just my sick sense of humor.

Oh and BTW, I have also used the ART MP Studio in my chain. It does add a little noise if I drive the tube too hard. But, not a wind noise. Here is a sample that I recorded some time back (disregard my paper shuffling that you hear- I was arranging scripts).
View attachment NT1A_MPstudio.mp3 Dry. No EQ or Compression. Only Normalization.
Did you still get the wind noise with the 20dB pad IN, on the ART pre?
D

Last edited:
happened again

I just got an nt1a and it does the same thing right out of the box. Plugged in other condensors into the exact same setup (after carefully powering down) and the problem is gone. It's definitely the mic. So be aware that this is something that can happen with these mics. Didn't expect an enormous amount of noise from "the word's quietest mic". :facepalm:

Back