Rode NT1 + scarlett 2i2 + 48V - is this right?

TVC15

New mic, but same audio interface for years (v1). For those using this sort of setup, how far do you have to turn your gain knob up on the 2i2 before [red light on the device] clipping occurs at moderate singing levels? And just to be specific, I mean the Rode NT1 (black) kit, with the pop filter on, singing about 4 inches from the filter (pretty close). Phantom power as measured through the cord is -45.5V on pins 1 & 3 and 1 & 2.

For me, clipping starts to occur about 66%-70% of the way up on the gain knob, depending on the volume of the singing.
Is it just me, or does this seem a bit like the gain needs to be cranked up too much for a powered condenser? Could something out of spec with this mic?

It's difficult to be sure as the actual volume you're singing at is not a known spec......as you can imagine. All mics are a bit different and will create clipping depending on many factors. However......you seem to be saying that you had a mic before you got the Rode. What mic was that and how did it act with your Scarlett?

It actually doesn't matter where the gain needs to be set to avoid clipping as long as the output is enough to record with.

There's no rule like "Gain should always be halfway up, or a quarter up or even all the way up.
You set the gain to have no clipping and then set the output to have enough signal for recording.

I don't have the Scarlett, but on my Tascam, the NT1 is set at about 50%. I never get the red light, and recording at 24bit, there's absolutely no reason to drive the input any harder. The last thing you want is to be clipping the input signal at any point.

I also use the new black NT1 often. I usually set the gain on the Presonus to around 2 or 3 o'clock, but that is not going to help you much, because where you set the gain is largely a function of how load the source is.

I heard from Focusrite a little while ago about the complaints about having to dial up gain a lot on their V1 interfaces. They said they changed the taper on the pots they used in V2 to address that. I.e., where the pot is at really doesn't mean much, though you might lose some fine adjustment if you're up at the end of its travel.

You set the gain to have no clipping and then set the output to have enough signal for recording.
There’s only one fucking knob, dude! :)

Did you mean like don’t use the gain knob to make it sound louder at your ears while recording? THAT is an important point.

There’s only one fucking knob, dude! :)

Did you mean like don’t use the gain knob to make it sound louder at your ears while recording? THAT is an important point.

I reckon he might have been thinking of a mixer, where you set gain with one, set output with another.

Thanks to all for responding. No, I'm not trying to make it clip, but was just curious if something might be off with the sensitivity. Personally, I think you nailed it, keith.rogers. Why? - Because the taper is indeed odd on my 2i2 gain knobs. It's quite linear till I get to about the last 25% of the knobs, at which point it increases notably more.

The mic sounds fantastic either way - beautifully neutral in frequency response - so it seems all is well.

Yes, ***t or bust gain controls have ever been a problem on AIs. There is really no good solution as it is the way the circuit values come out if you want a decent amount of maximum gain, special tapers help but so long as you only have one gain control it will never really be smoothly incremental.

Fortunately, as has been mentioned, you rarely need to be close to maximum gain. Using 24 bits the level can average -20 even -26 dB fs and noise will still be very low.

The very early Mk1 2i2s also had really poor headroom on the high Z input.

Dave.

I reckon he might have been thinking of a mixer, where you set gain with one, set output with another.
I may have been thinking about many. MANY different things that have input gain AND out levels .... haven't used the Scarlett .... so I didn't fucking know dudes .
Now I remember the snotty replies that run people away from this place.
See ya'll in another year or two

Lt. Bob.........I've seen MANY "snotty" replies here on this forum.......but for the life of me......I can't see how gecko zzed insulted you at all. Stick around and hang with us.

Lt. Bob.........I've seen MANY "snotty" replies here on this forum.......but for the life of me......I can't see how gecko zzed insulted you at all. Stick around and hang with us.

+1, We have all put the odd hooter out of joint here, almost always without knowing it. We are a disparate bunch and rules of conduct and customs are bound to clash from time to time.

Dave.

No I’m sure it was my post. Like I said, this is exactly why God made emojis. :)

Maybe it was my fucking use of the fuck word, but...fuck!?!?

Back